1.    #1  
    Anyone see it?

The official web site says that at the end of the movie, we see that Ghost Dog's recollection of how he and his master first met is crucially different from how the other man sees it, and that we can't be sure how it really happened.

I totally missed this point, except for a vague feeling.

The website makes this difference out to be a critical point in the film. Can anyone who's seen it explain how each man sees the encounter?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Originally posted by PDAENVY
    Anyone see it?
    If I remember correctly, Ghost Dog remembered that Louie had shown up to rescue him.

Louie remembered remembered showing up and being attacked by the same kids who had attacked Ghost Dog. Louie defended himself.

I agree that it's a key issue, because Ghost Dog believes he has acquired a debt of obligation towards Louie, when Louie had really just been defending himself -- he never intended to rescue Ghost Dog. Ghost Dog essentially built his life and death around this fictitious debt.

I thought that worked nicely into the "Rashomon" reference.
    As I saw it, Louie happened along and saw the guys beating up Ghost Dog and planned to stop them. It was he who approached them with a question like, "What's the problem here?" When the guy pulled the gun, Louie took him out. At least this was how I saw the flashback from Ghost Dog's POV.

Now I think I need to rent this again to see how the scene looks different in Louie's mind. I really didn't catch that either.

Very good movie, despit the fact that I might have missed an important point! I'll have to check the website tonight.

505 STI
    Originally posted by PaulD
    As I saw it, Louie happened along and saw the guys beating up Ghost Dog and planned to stop them. It was he who approached them with a question like, "What's the problem here?" When the guy pulled the gun, Louie took him out. At least this was how I saw the flashback from Ghost Dog's POV.
    Six of one, I think -- Louie remembers defending himself; Ghost Dog remembers Louie rescuing him. Maybe it was the direction the kid's gun was pointing?

It is a nifty movie. Did you catch that the cartoon segments predicted the future?
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by John Nowak

Six of one, I think -- Louie remembers defending himself; Ghost Dog remembers Louie rescuing him.
    I found the quote I was looking for from the website:
    In the end it will come down to a confrontation with Louie that illustrates the ambiguity of history. Few stories are the same in the eyes of two men; Ghost Dog's memory of his first encounter with Louie is dramatically, crucially different from the other man's recollection, and it cannot be known which version is accurate. That lesson of subjectivity, of course, is embodied in the Japanese classic Rashomon, lent to Ghost Dog by the mob princess Louise, and by him to young Pearline, who now inherits the code of the samurai. (italics mine)
    This suggests to me that it really makes a difference, that it's not six-of-one, and we can never know what's "true."

It is a nifty movie. Did you catch that the cartoon segments predicted the future?
    Yes, my favorite was when the bullets came through the plumbing to hit the bad guy!

Jeff
    Originally posted by PDAENVY
    This suggests to me that it really makes a difference, that it's not six-of-one, and we can never know what's "true."

Sorry, I wrote that badly. The "six of one" comment was meant to apply to my recollection and PaulD's -- the important thing is that Louie remembers defending himself, and Ghost Dog remembers someone rescuing him. My fault.
    I now have an excellent excuse to rent this movie again!

505 STI