1.    #1  
    Is it just me? I've gone through three Sony Clie's now, and all had the same problem. Crooked displays! I say crooked in that the displays seem ****-eyed, or of center. I mention this here because I had the same problem with the Visor, and even a Palm IIIx back in the day. Has anyone else noticed this? It really pisses me off to have to accept ****ty workmanship, especially with such an expensive device.

You would think by now that manufacturers could do something as simple as producing a correctly layed out display, internally. I took the liberty of opening up my Clie and unfortunately the display was seated properly inside the case. The problem seems to be, as always, within the LCD sandwich itself. It looks crooked.

Just thought I would share my rantings with the rest of you. What do you think?

Foo
    What do you use your Clie for? Don't you have an HP PPC? Just wondering, since I think it is a bit overpriced for a Palm OS device. What are your impressions from using it?

My Visor's screen is a tad bit off center, but it doesn't bother me. I just assumed this was the way it had to be, due to technical reasons of some sort. Now if my screen was tilted or crooked I would be a bit pissed, but it isn't.
    Originally posted by kalaban
    quote:
    Foo Fighter:

Is it me, or do you stir emotions in most threads you post in?

Originally posted by John Nowak, 9/29

Betcha in two months he'll be screaming the Clie is a piece of garbage and anyone who buys one is an *****.
    Okay, it took one week.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by lennonhead
    What do you use your Clie for? Don't you have an HP PPC? Just wondering, since I think it is a bit overpriced for a Palm OS device. What are your impressions from using it?
    I use both platforms. I'm using the Clie temporarily until I decide on whether or not to purchase a Visor Platinum.

Yes, the Clie is over-priced, but then again so is the Palm Vx. Still it is one of the finest Palm based handhelds I've used. It feels very natural in your hands than the Palm V. You can tell Sony engineers put a great deal of thought into its design. Sony has always built top of the line consumer electronic devices, and the Clie is no exception. Most of the glitches I have encountered are nothing more than early production issues.

Bottom line; I LOVE IT!!!

My Visor's screen is a tad bit off center, but it doesn't bother me. I just assumed this was the way it had to be, due to technical reasons of some sort. Now if my screen was tilted or crooked I would be a bit pissed, but it isn't.
    This is really annoying me. It was a problem I encountered many times with the Visor, but only once on a Palm handheld (Palm IIIx). It doesn't have any effect on over-all performance or usability, but it is distracting to look at. I'm waiting for Best Buy to receive a new shipment of Clies in, I cleaned them out with all my returns. This is my third unit, but this one doesn't have the same battery charge indication error that the first two had.

Because of the high price, I doubt Sony will have much success with this little guy. In my opinion, it should be marketed at $299. The salesmen at BB told me that they aren't selling, which is a shame because they are great, or will be once Sony gets its problems worked out.

If you are interested in getting one, my advice is to wait a month for Sony to address these issues.

Originally posted by John Nowak, 9/29/

Betcha in two months he'll be screaming the Clie is a piece of garbage and anyone who buys one is an *****.
    I have no idea where your getting this. As far as my complaints about the screen being crooked, that has little to do with PDA OEMs. Palm does not, to my knowledge, develop its own LCD displays, and neither does Handspring. I believe EPSON provides those. My point is that, you would think by now these type of annoying problems would have been worked out by display manufacturers. It's an example of sloppy quality control, and I hate to go through this considering the money spent. But I can hardly place the blame on Palm, Handspring, or Sony.

Actually, Sony may be responsible. They do in fact manufacture their own displays.

[Edited by foo fighter on 10-07-2000 at 05:46 PM]
    I had three, count 'em....three Visors I recieved that I sent back due to either crooked screens or even worse...screens that would shake around in the case.

I pursued it to the point of speaking to the office of the CEO after I obtained the third unit, which was a refurb (as is customary of handpsring to ship when a "new" unit is returned - which is an outstanding (sic) return policy I say).

The only solution they offered me to return the unit, get a credit issued and "rebuy" the product to obtain a new one.

Something seems inherintly wrong with that approach to dealing with a problem unit that is less then 2 weeks old. And then to have two units after that ship out with the same problem.

If you *buy* a new product and there is a problem with it, you should *get* a new product without the same problem. Period. End of story.

Quality control at handspring sucks and so does their return policy on new units. Don't buy from headquarters - go to compusa or circuit city. Hell, at least you can return a problem unit for a new one that hopefully won't have the same problem.

Originally posted by foo fighter
    Originally posted by John Nowak, 9/29/

I have no idea where your getting this.
    [/B]
    Why am I not surprised?

I remember! Youre a funny guy John!
    "Stupid Handspring."