1.    #1  
    We have a visiting employee that will be here for three months. He had a very large suitcase containing his and his wife's majority clothing and belongings which was lost by US Air.

Does anyone have any insights into one, helping the airline locate the bag? Second to this, getting the maximum compensation for the lost belongings?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Remind them that their rights are protected by the Montreal Convention
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Remind them that their rights are protected by the Montreal Convention
    Got that. Looks like its 1000 "Special Drawing Rights" per passenger which would be about $1500 per passenger.

Anyone have any insights into helping the airline locate the bag?
    Didn't they tag the bag for tracking? Why is USAir having a problem tracking it in the first place?
  5.    #5  
    Pretty much for the same reason Alaskan Airlines will be losing bags:

From Mone Magazine:
    "US Airways logged nearly 72,000 claims for lost or damaged bags over the Christmas holiday, the paper said that this month's report by the DOT's inspector general shows. The paper said that luggage losses rose sharply last fall as large numbers of senior bag handlers left the nation's seventh largest airline under terms of a new labor deal designed to shave costs. The shortage of baggage handlers caused problems including eight planes leaving the airline's Philadelphia hub without any bags onboard over the Christmas holiday."
    Was it a non-stop flight? If not, did they check the connection destination? Other than that, my ex (a pilot for Delta not USAir) said you're left with "wait and hope". As far as compensation, that would depend on the individual airline's policy and what kind of proof they have of the suitcase's contents.
    Well the package handlers got some good stuff !
    Since I'm older now, I'm more selective about who handles my package...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Oh, stewardess.....
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    Was it a non-stop flight? If not, did they check the connection destination? Other than that, my ex (a pilot for Delta not USAir) said you're left with "wait and hope". As far as compensation, that would depend on the individual airline's policy and what kind of proof they have of the suitcase's contents.
    I think he's dealing with US Air main. Should he try to call the two Airports the bag went through.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Does the passenger have a baggage claim number? If so, he/she can go here and fill out the form. I am not sure how much it will help.
    Sprint PCS Treo 600 & 650
    Verizon Treo 700w
    www.James-K.com
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    I think he's dealing with US Air main. Should he try to call the two Airports the bag went through.
    I would think that would be the best start. Unclaimed and lost baggage at his connection points. The most likely scenarios are:

a) It was loaded on the wrong flight at the original destination.

b) It was taken off during the layover and left at that airport.

c) It was taken off during the layover transferred to the wrong connecting flight.

He should have his luggage tag stapled to his boarding pass... he needs to give the tracking numbers to baggage claims at the airports he traveled through. Maybe they're systems aren't communicating fast enough. It just happened earlier today... yes?
  13.    #13  
    Right now the bag is simply not in their system. I'm encouraging him to contact the individual airports lost/damaged depts with a description.
    I believe that if you cant drive there, you shouldnt go
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  15. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    I'd say wait a bit before getting too excited - I've missed baggage LOTS but got it within a day or so. Best to take essentials (toothbrush, underwear, 1 change of clothes, etc) in a carry-on.
    Quote Originally Posted by hsk
    I'd say wait a bit before getting too excited - I've missed baggage LOTS but got it within a day or so. Best to take essentials (toothbrush, underwear, 1 change of clothes, etc) in a carry-on.
    Yeah, I try to just take a carry on (especially if its for a couple of days.)