Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Usually everybody's first post is what kinda case do you have??
    And what would you recommend, Dearest Claire?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  2.    #22  
    dont use 1 anymore. Just put it in my pocket or my pack
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    So is anyone going to address that this is an old story?
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    So is anyone going to address that this is an old story?
    no
    To simplistically say this single alleged incident is not responsible for riots and deaths. It's the climate that U.S. foreign policy in the region has created and also political manipulations by religious factions (sound familiar, think gay marraige and Rove).
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    no
    Could've guessed.
  7.    #27  
    Please show proof of this.
    "More than two years ago, the Pentagon issued detailed rules for handling the Koran at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, requiring U.S. personnel to ensure that the holy book is not placed in "offensive areas such as the floor, near the toilet or sink, near the feet, or dirty/wet areas."

The three-page memorandum, dated Jan. 19, 2003, says that only Muslim chaplains and Muslim interpreters can handle the holy book, and only after putting on clean gloves in full view of detainees.

The detailed rules require U.S. Muslim personnel to use both hands when touching the Koran to signal "respect and reverence," and specify that the right hand be the primary one used to manipulate any part of the book "due to cultural associations with the left hand." The Koran should be treated like a "fragile piece of delicate art," it says.

The memo, written a year after the first detainees were brought to Guantanamo from Afghanistan, reflects what U.S. officials said was a specific policy on handling the Koran, one of the most sensitive issues to Muslims. The Pentagon does not have a similar policy regarding any other major religious book and takes "extra precautions" on the Muslim holy book, officials said."

Sorry...Looks like you've been duped.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Clarie. Please, you are going to believe this in the wake of all the other scandals within the system? Don't believe because your goverment tells you so (Watergate, WMD, etc.). Look a little deeper.
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    "More than two years ago, the Pentagon issued detailed rules for handling the Koran at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, requiring U.S. personnel to ensure that the holy book is not placed in "offensive areas such as the floor, near the toilet or sink, near the feet, or dirty/wet areas."

The three-page memorandum, dated Jan. 19, 2003, says that only Muslim chaplains and Muslim interpreters can handle the holy book, and only after putting on clean gloves in full view of detainees.

The detailed rules require U.S. Muslim personnel to use both hands when touching the Koran to signal "respect and reverence," and specify that the right hand be the primary one used to manipulate any part of the book "due to cultural associations with the left hand." The Koran should be treated like a "fragile piece of delicate art," it says.

The memo, written a year after the first detainees were brought to Guantanamo from Afghanistan, reflects what U.S. officials said was a specific policy on handling the Koran, one of the most sensitive issues to Muslims. The Pentagon does not have a similar policy regarding any other major religious book and takes "extra precautions" on the Muslim holy book, officials said."

Sorry...Looks like you've been duped.
    Still haven't shown proof that the story is "made up".
    Who cares? It's a book. Any religion that puts the value of a book that is mass produced in a modern facility over that of a human life is worthless anyway. Boohoo if your stupid book is sitting on the toilet.

How many bibles are destroyed or disrespected, and yet do we see Christians rioting in the streets and killing people over it? Not saying Christians are without fault but come on, it's a book. Homicidal Jews avenging a shreded Torah? No I think not.

Maybe this is religiously insensitive (ask me if I care) but if it makes em talk I say drop that sucker in the toilet and make em bob for it. Or maybe cut all the pages out, tape em together and roll em up on the tp dispenser. It's just a book and it only has value if a person gives it value.

Shall we then assume if the Koran, Quran or whatever other spelling options there is available on the web and someone hacks the site and changes a few things, they shall be marked for death? Or maybe there will be riots and murders in IT departments around the world. Some people take themselves a tad too seriously IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Who cares? It's a book.
    Who cares? Well, to be frank, probably Muslims. Do I care? Not really but probably because Im not a muslim. Do I think its right to use it to manipulate/coerce them? I don't know...theres pros and cons.

Boohoo if your stupid book is sitting on the toilet.
    Glad to see your sensitive side
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Who cares? Well, to be frank, probably Muslims. Do I care? Not really but probably because Im not a muslim. Do I think its right to use it to manipulate/coerce them? I don't know...theres pros and cons.

Glad to see your sensitive side
    Yes I should be sensitive to people who videotape themselves beheading people and showing it to the world on the internet.

You totally missed the point. It's a book. It's paper and ink. It has no spritual value other than that assigned to it by a person. If their religion is so weak that a damaged book makes them kill people, what does that tell you? Are you suggesting that Mohamed said back when the first Koran was written than every copy produced henceforth will have the same special place as this original? Does that apply to only thoe written in the original language? I mean did Mohamed foresee the Koran in English? What about those that are damaged in printing, or during delivery? If a delivery truck gets in an accident and a copy is dmaged do they kill the truck driver? The other driver? Do they burn down the printing house if a page is torn by a worn printing press?

We could just ask them for info and smile while we wait for the answer, right? Or maybe just let them all go and not bother them any more?
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Who cares? It's a book. Any religion that puts the value of a book that is mass produced in a modern facility over that of a human life is worthless anyway. Boohoo if your stupid book is sitting on the toilet.
    Agreed.

How many bibles are destroyed or disrespected, and yet do we see Christians rioting in the streets and killing people over it? Not saying Christians are without fault but come on, it's a book. Homicidal Jews avenging a shreded Torah? No I think not.
    LOL.

Maybe this is religiously insensitive (ask me if I care) but if it makes em talk I say drop that sucker in the toilet and make em bob for it. Or maybe cut all the pages out, tape em together and roll em up on the tp dispenser. It's just a book and it only has value if a person gives it value.
    I would go as far as laying a steamer down on it in front of them.

Shall we then assume if the Koran, Quran or whatever other spelling options there is available on the web and someone hacks the site and changes a few things, they shall be marked for death? Or maybe there will be riots and murders in IT departments around the world. Some people take themselves a tad too seriously IMO.
    Agreed
    Agreed.

LOL.

I would go as far as laying a steamer down on it in front of them.

Agreed
    Well it's proven now, thanks for the liberal dummycrate hype..
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    To simplistically say this single alleged incident is not responsible for riots and deaths. It's the climate that U.S. foreign policy in the region has created and also political manipulations by religious factions (sound familiar, think gay marraige and Rove).
    Think of pushing your gay agenda a little far ?
    Clarie. Please, you are going to believe this in the wake of all the other scandals within the system? Don't believe because your goverment tells you so (Watergate, WMD, etc.). Look a little deeper.
    Ah, distrust the government, but believe the media that gave you "Operation Tailwind", (CNN: US use of poison gas in Vietnam, complete lie), exploding gas tanks in cars (NBC: complete lie. They rigged the test cars with rocket motors in order to get the results they wanted), the Food Lion scandal, (ABC being dupes for the union and showing unsanitary conditions in a supermarket: complete lie), and who can forget CBS's most recent contribution to journalistic integrity?

The bottom line is that just like CBS, Newsweek got a juicy little tidbit that it couldn't bother to really verify. The fact that prisoners all over the globe use anything they can get their hands on to stuff toilets and rupture plumbing as a protest couldn't be taken into account...it had to be those EVIL U.S. interrogators again. This time their agenda really boomeranged.

This media isn't just anti-war...I'm starting to think they're on the other side. This latest attack has jepordized our success in Afghanistan, where 25 million people were liberated.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    The bottom line is that just like CBS, Newsweek got a juicy little tidbit that it couldn't bother to really verify.
    I agree with you 1911 that Newsweek really screwed up here.

And now that Newsweek retracted the story, the White house strategy seems to be to keep riding them.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...newsweek_quran

Makes sense 'cause flogging the liberal media allows the White house to throw red meat at the extreme right, without expending much political capital in the process.

But you would think the white house would be more sympathetic. After all, molding a political agenda out of crappy intel is their forte. I will not belabor the parallels here, but I remember the "juicy tidbits" that Bush/Cheney got from self-servers like Ahmed Chalabi about WMD and Sadam-Al Queda connections that they "could not bother to verify" which were the basis of us going to war with Iraq.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 05/17/2005 at 08:54 AM.
    "Newsweek has apologized for errors in a story that outraged Muslims, triggering several days of deadly riots."

Environmentalists should seek to close Newsweek. Waste of paper.
    F'ing ridiculous! I suppose Fox News, the Washington Times and other conservative rags always are 100% accurate?

Actually I find it rather ironic that the administration is trashing Newsweek for "getting the facts wrong" when the administration got virtually everything about Iraq wrong. A few dozen lives, maybe, have been lost because of Newsweek's error. Many, many thousands have been lost because of the Bush administration's errors, more than 1500 of them American.

Oh, and when is Bush going to apologize for his mistakes? That's right, I forgot. Bush still believes he hasn't made any!

Conservatives! Wake up and look at the facts. Learn to think for yourselves, instead of swallowing everying Fox News tells you.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    uhhhh....what does "Newsweak" have to do with Fox News?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    F'ing ridiculous! I suppose Fox News, the Washington Times and other conservative rags always are 100% accurate?

Actually I find it rather ironic that the administration is trashing Newsweek for "getting the facts wrong" when the administration got virtually everything about Iraq wrong. A few dozen lives, maybe, have been lost because of Newsweek's error. Many, many thousands have been lost because of the Bush administration's errors, more than 1500 of them American.

Oh, and when is Bush going to apologize for his mistakes? That's right, I forgot. Bush still believes he hasn't made any!

Conservatives! Wake up and look at the facts. Learn to think for yourselves, instead of swallowing everying Fox News tells you.
    Facts WRONG ? They just plain lied, when will the the liberal dummycrats stop believing their own lies ?
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast