Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Figured I'd start an NBA playoffs thread.

Seattle won't win a game (Spurs in 4), Spurs over Suns in 7, Spurs over Pistons/Heat (still undecided) in 6.

Any other theories?
    Heat over Wizards in 4
    Spurs over Seattle in 4
    Suns over Mavs in 7
    Pistons over Pacers in 7

Heat over Pistons in 6
    Suns over Spurs in 7

Heat over Suns in 7
    I'm back!
  3.    #3  
    jmill -
    What do you think are the keys to the Suns beating the Spurs? I'm just curious. I think the Spurs combo of perimeter D plus Duncan and Mohammed in the middle will be enough to slow down Phoenix. Also, Ginobili is nearly unstoppable and Horry has been a stud lately. I do think the Suns have a good shot at the Spurs, but I think the Spurs will be too hard to beat 4 times.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Spurs All The Way!!!! :d
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    oops
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave
    jmill -
    What do you think are the keys to the Suns beating the Spurs? I'm just curious. I think the Spurs combo of perimeter D plus Duncan and Mohammed in the middle will be enough to slow down Phoenix. Also, Ginobili is nearly unstoppable and Horry has been a stud lately. I do think the Suns have a good shot at the Spurs, but I think the Spurs will be too hard to beat 4 times.
    I guess a lot of it depends on Joe Johnson's injury. If he's out a while, obviously that helps the Spurs. But as far as a Suns/Spurs matchup, the Suns have home court, so that could be a game right there. The key to the matchup will be Stoudamire vs Duncan and Nash vs Parker. Mohammad can't stop Stoudamire, so if Duncan gets in foul trouble, look out. You can't count on Horry keeping up this pace, he's someone who can bail you out from time to time, but can't be expected to be a go-to guy. I hope that's the Western finals, I'm looking forward to that matchup.

Either way, they're just playing for second place. Miami is rolling and Shaq hasn't been Shaq yet. 'Zo and Shaq can stop Stoudamire or Duncan, and neither Parker nor Nash will give Wade fits. They are just solid right now from their 1-8 players.
    I'm back!
  7.    #7  
    The Spurs are probably more solid 1-8 than the Heat, and their team defense is second to none. Duncan can't stop Shaq by himself, but he won't have to. Bowen probably can't stop Wade by himself, but he also won't have to. I think a Spurs/Heat finals would be the best series anyone could hope for, & it is definitely a good possibility.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    MAVS over SPURS

1 | 2
    The Spurs are probably more solid 1-8 than the Heat...
    I'm not so sure about that. I said the Heat have a solid 1-8, actually, they've gone 1-11 so far in the playoffs, and I'm not sure I'd trade those 11 for any other team. The only guy on their active roster who hasn't played yet is Steve Smith, and there's no better 12th man on any team in the league. So far they've gone:

G - Wade, Damon Jones, Keyon Dooling, Shandon Anderson
    F - Haslem, Eddie Jones, Laettner, Rasual Butler
    C - Shaq, Mourning, Doleac

It's not the scariest looking lineup, but as long as they are winning big without major contributions from Shaq, I'd be nervous if I was the Pistons, Spurs, or Suns.
    I'm back!
  10.    #10  
    Seattle won't win a game (Spurs in 4)
    Well, so much for that!

Quote Originally Posted by MFizzel
    MAVS over SPURS

WHAT?!?!?!
    The Heat have served notice, they are very good without The Big MVP, and even better with him in the lineup. Big win last night on the road without the Diesel.

Look out Pistons, you're the next victim.

Yeah, I'd say that we were both wrong about the Spurs in 4. How does Bowen shut down Allen in the 4th and the Spurs still find a way to lose?
    I'm back!
  12.    #12  
    The Spurs couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from the free throw line last night, especially in the fourth quarter. Duncan coudn't score from the field in the fourth either. Just one of those nights, I guess, but they certainly can't afford to have those against the Suns, Pistons, or Heat.

Jmill, you have definitely convinced me that it will be Spurs/Heat in the finals, but I still think San Antonio's experience as a team will win.
    No way. If you're getting 14 points, 13 rebounds, and 4 blocks in 35 minutes from your backup center with a kidney disorder, you're staring destiny straight in the face.

And no one in the Eastern conference has been able to stop Flash. There's no reason to think that Parker or Nash will be able to either. He's just making people look slow.
    I'm back!
  14.    #14  
    First of all, Bowen and Ginobili will guard Flash, not Parker. He'll get his, but not like he does against the Nets or Wizards.

Secondly, who's Zo putting up these numbers against? Last I checked, the Wizards don't have an intimidating post presence. Great line, but he won't do that against San Antonio.
    Seattle won't win a game (Spurs in 4), Spurs over Suns in 7, Spurs over Pistons/Heat (still undecided) in 6.

Any other theories?
    Ahem.

Yes, I have another theory. Duncan gets to start his vacation WAY early.

I'll stick with my prediction of the Heat over the Suns in 7. No reason right now to think otherwise. If a depleted Sonics team is giving them this much trouble, no reason to think that they could make it past the Suns/Mavs winner.

Bowen can't guard Flash, he's not fast enough. All he can do is keep him from posting up. Besides, if he were to draw Wade duty, all that would mean is that EJ goes off for 35, since Ginobili won't be able to stop him.

Miami won on Saturday with 0 combined points from their top 2 centers. What makes anyone else think they'll lose with Shaq and Zo producing?
    I'm back!
    Not Yet!
  17.    #17  
    Seattle has played well, and I give them all the credit in the world for surprising me. As for the Heat, they are definitely a fantastic team. But in relation to the 3 other favorites, the Heat without a doubt had the easiest course through the first two rounds. This "depleted Sonics team" is much tougher than the Wizards. Also, Luke Ridnour did not play like himself yesterday. I don't know who that was in his jersey, but it was certainly not LR.

I'm more than happy to eat crow about my call for a sweep in this series, but I still think the Spurs are the most complete, well-coached team in the NBA.
    Last edited by leadtrumpetdave; 05/18/2005 at 04:50 PM.
  18.    #18  
    jmill -
    What are Miami's chances against Detroit if Shaq is only 50-75%?
  19.    #19  
    Uh-oh,
    The Heat had to play a real team and finally lost. Wade came down to earth against a tough defensive team and Shaq was too hobbled to take over. I'm not saying the Heat are a bad team. I'm also not saying that they can't beat the Pistons. Maybe it was the 9-day layoff but they looked pretty rusty, especially in the second half.
    Ouch, I know, last night was painful to watch. Especially the last 5 minutes after the Heat got it to 80-80. They just went flat when they needed it the most. I think they'll come back and win game 2, but obviously now they need to pull out a W in games 3 or 4.

Detroit caught a break though, too many guys were cold at the same time. I know part of that is because of their D, but I don't think that will happen again in game 2. Shaq was OK, and EJ had a good game, but DJ and Haslem and Zo couldn't pick up Wade, and they can't let that happen.

If Shaq truly is the greatest show on Earth, he needs to get a cortisone shot and suck it up and carry this team when Wade can't. Wade carried them through the first two rounds, if Prince is gonna lock him out, then Shaq needs to rise above it.
    I'm back!
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast