1.    #1  
    Saw it last night on CNN. Here's the deal: 400 kps in BOTH directions (currently, satellite service is download only -- upload is via traditional copper ISP). $59.95 month.

Now, I know there is a big group of people out there saying "So what! I already get up to 1.5 MBPS via DSL or cable." Well, consider yourself lucky. Those of us in rural areas in the midwest can't get our hands on ANY sort of high speed access, so this satellite thing is the best we've got.

Additionaly, in 2002, Hughes will be rolling out Spaceway which is a 2-way satellite ISP that has 2 mbps bandwidth (with no degredation with high use -- supposedly).

The speed of technological advancements never ceases to amaze me.

This is one of the last hurdles we've had to overcome to gain universal high-bandwidth internet service. I have DSL and live in the city, but I'm very interested in two-way satellite service, only because I could then drop BOTh my Phone service AND cable service completely...basically go completely wireless.

And this is a godsend for the rural community in this country...especially for small-town america, where Phone and Cable companies had little interest in improving service. Now a business dependant on high-speed data connections could conceivably be viable almost aywhere in the country!

Are there any links to the story? I tried a quick search but didn't come up with anything...

We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  3.    #3  
    surprisingly, nothing posted at either MSN or Radio Shack.
    I remember reading this on /. Here's a link to an MSNBC article on this.

I'm one step closer to my dream of owning a beach house or mountain cabin and writing my articles from there!
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Originally posted by JHromadka

I'm one step closer to my dream of owning a beach house or mountain cabin and writing my articles from there!
    Surely Galveston already has high speed internet access?