Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by treosome
    **** Lamm? Does he sport a little rectangular mustache above his upper lip and use too much pomade? I think I've heard of him.
    Come on, why is everyone with a contrary view considered akin to Hitler - that's such an old, tired analogy, particularly when you're comparing anyone to someone who was directly responsible for the death of millions upon millions of innocent people.
    I think nationalism has done more to bring down nations than diversity.
    Please elaborate - I don't get your meaning?
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    I still need verification on item #1:
    1. I am really asking: How do you define a country? What are its attributes? Its fabric? Its nationalism? Etc.
    Clearly borders define its physical properties. However, its the way of life within them that are important. Much like sticks make a house, but its the people in it that make a home.

You bought some time, but it is running out.

Rather you support wide open borders or not, the implications are hard to deny- aren't they? Even DA finds himself with no legitmate dispute.

I am not saying I have the answers or that I agree/dissagree with the email. I am just saying there seems to be some substance to its content.
    Last edited by sxtg; 05/05/2005 at 11:18 PM.
    i'm all for the notion of "many as one" and all it's derivatives, but only at the macro level, i.e. as an ideal. But when I hear prominent figures trying to "micro manage" this ideal it makes me cringe. So what's our next step? Arrest people for speaking another language?
    I'm sorry if the hitler analogy get's old for you, but his ideal nation was one of a homogenous culture (maybe one step further, race) and ****'s limp argument is also a cry for an homogenous culture leading to nationalism.

I'd like to write more, but I'm driving 80 on I-5 and the treo screen is blinding me.

I'd like to write more, but I'm driving 80 on I-5 and the treo screen is blinding me.
    sounds like me - be safe!
  6.    #26  
    * Take a look at Miami. It is a city of immigrants (mostly from Cuba) that is striving and proud. The ratio of Cuban immigrants to non-hispanic immigrants is quite high, yet the city is doing just fine.
    Exactly!
    Ever given a thought as to why?
    Why? Because as you mentioned above, the city is the ONE culture. Like I said before location isn't the important part. Just because the Cubans are in Miami doesn't make them less surrounded by Cubans.

I realize we were founded by immigrants. How many countries were not? The article doesn't discourage immigration in my view.
    Really Chick-Dance? I thought Nazi Germany went down becauce Dieter had to learn Spanish.
  8.    #28  
    I beg the difference, I think the article fears immigration. Illegal immigration is a moot point because most people would agree that there's something that needs to be done about it (logistics aside for now). As for the rest of the article, I started dissecting it slowly (see my previous post) and continue doing that tomorrow. It is a long article so it might take me a while.
    I think the article fears transformation, not immigration.
    Sorry, forgot the wink smiley. ;-)
  10.    #30  
    Chick,
    My beautiful wife and mother of my darling children is not white!
    Please eliminate racism as a basis for my interest in the email.
  11.    #31  
    Ha? Either we need to redefine multiculturalism or you grew up on the moon (which, as far as I know, actually tolerates multiculturalism...). What is culture? There are such things as culture of poverty, culture of naives, Saivism, narcism, favism, nanism, Sivaism, Ovism... They are not all equal and prejudice does exist. So how does that destroy America?
    See...
    I read that as tolerence of thiers without thier tolerence of ours, that was destructive.
  12.    #32  
    Perhaps. To me immigration seems to be the vehicle for that transformation.
    Valid, but to what extent? To the piont that the begining is unrecognisable?
  13.    #33  
    My God, sxtg: No way on earth would I call you a racist! It was not my intention, please know that!
    Acknowledged.
    I just wanted to be sure. There were ignorant Hitler comments made by someone else. Also, I recognise the difficulty of discussing this without reference to race.
  14.    #34  
    From where? And did they come because they wanted to be in America or because they wanted to create an extension of thier own origin on American soil? That is what I took the article to be about.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    From where? And did they come because they wanted to be in America or because they wanted to create an extension of thier own origin on American soil? That is what I took the article to be about.
    Ooops! I called it an article.
    Sorry DA, I meant to call it a possibly fabricated email.
    Just curious, sxtg what about the article are you gung ho about, the criticism on uneducated Mexican immigration? Or the criticism of american cultural acceptance?

Also if you don't mind me asking, of what cultural background is your wife?
  17.    #37  
    Just curious, sxtg what about the article are you gung ho about, the criticism on uneducated Mexican immigration? Or the criticism of american cultural acceptance?

Also if you don't mind me asking, of what cultural background is your wife?
    There is a difference between interested and "gung ho".

She is Asian/Indian- an immigrated product of immigration
  18.    #38  
    Realising that the this particular aritcle was about Mexican immigration, I dont think the concept is limited to the Mexican immigrants.

I am witnessing this on a macro level, if you will. I live in a rural area (its quite possible I was the first Treo owner ) We are currently being invaded by Californians. Our population is projected to more than double within "three" years (kidding, but I believe its less than 5yrs) While this is good for my business, it does create problems. They have different values, lifestyles, etc.. I enjoy the change becuase the "good ole boy" mentality gets under my skin. But, it does cause obvious confilcts among the population. The local government is in a state of confusion. While people want to encourage growth and welcome the transplants they also want to preserve the way of life they have always enjoyed.

I realise my little ole community is not on the same scale as the American immigration issues, but I think the concept is the same.
    So what do you think of a, let's se here, an influx of swedish into your community. Will that bother you the same?
  20.    #40  
    So what do you think of a, let's se here, an influx of swedish into your community. Will that bother you the same?
    Do you read my posts? Are you pondering this "with a little help from a friend"?
    I said it doesn't bother me. I am enjoying the change.
    I don't know anything about how Swedish cultures differ from my own, so I really can't answer that.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast