Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Are you a musician?
    If so, what instrument do you play? And, what Genre of music do you play?
  2.    #2  
    As you may have guessed from my avatar, I am a musician. I play the tru*
  3.    #3  
    mpet. I play gospel music heavily influenced by jazz traditions and lightly influenced by all other genres (well, all except hard and acid rock).

And, yes, the avatar is the cover of my debut solo recording.
    I wondered with your avatar....

I'm a trumpet player, classical.
    Hmm.. I'll jump in. Ex- lead vocals for a punk band and play guitar also- semi retired of course.

I now run my own on-line ezine covering local music in the Chicago area at JstreetZine.com
  6.    #6  
    CD, since you're inviting me to guess, it must be.....cornet (would have been trumpet but the band director thought the trumpet was too big for you to hold)
  7.    #7  
    JesseJstreet, I'm on my Treo now. I'll check out your site on a PC. In the meantime...do you cover local bands? or cover "big names" that come through the local venues, or both, or...?
    Geetar/pinano

"on green dolphin street"
    "all the things you are"
    "All Blues"
    "Shaw Nuff"
    "Django"
    "Stardust"
    "Boplicity"
    "autumn leaves"

My addiction to Straight Ahead is only usurped by the love I have for my children.
    Although I did name my son after my favorite Trumpet player of all times...
    No not you Shopharim...

Although I do moonlight in a blues band...
    Favorite movies...
    "mo betta blues"
    "that thing you do"
    I play guitar, drums, a little bass. Not in a band but I like to play almost anything. Mostly pop, rock, progressive, alternative, etc.
    Guitar for 30+ years. Not active with a band at the moment. But still do a lot of recording at home.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    shoph- Only cover independent/local bands. No major label coverage.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Guitar for 30+ years. Not active with a band at the moment. But still do a lot of recording at home.
    Aha! So, it's not the wit and it's not the avatar. It's the musical connection that binds us.
    Or a combination!

Some orangutan trivia:
    My user name got it's roots from my military service, but after I was out it also became the name of a band I was in. I'm ten years removed from the Service, and the band is no more, but I still use the name.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    My dad used to say, when I was growing up, that I was playing on his nerves… OK, shopharim, guess what instrument I learned to play in high school (and was quite bad at it).
    skinflute!

*rimshot*

I've been learning the guitar for the past year, mostly learning chords and playing.... ...Nintendo tunes a la Minibosses

Prior to that, I used to play classical music on the piano for 10 years.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJstreet
    Hmm.. I'll jump in. Ex- lead vocals for a punk band and play guitar also- semi retired of course.

I now run my own on-line ezine covering local music in the Chicago area at JstreetZine.com
    Nice site. Are bands feeding you information and updates, or do you keep your ear to the ground for news?

BTW, if that's you in the avatar, you're too young to be anywhere near retired.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Bass Player here. Took piano lessons when I was a kid. Play the occasional guitar and drums.

Love all kinds of music. Play mostly rock and jazz.

Currently in two bands, but soon to be in only one. The lead singer in the other is getting on my nerves.

Isn't that always the way it goes?
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    Nice site. Are bands feeding you information and updates, or do you keep your ear to the ground for news?

BTW, if that's you in the avatar, you're too young to be anywhere near retired.
    HA! Retired as in I've been working mostly behind the "curtain" in the music scene- always itching to play live though!

And yes to both of your first questions- I dig around for local news and post it and get info from musician mailing lists, press kits, demos, etc.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec
    Bass Player here. Took piano lessons when I was a kid. Play the occasional guitar and drums.

Love all kinds of music. Play mostly rock and jazz.

Currently in two bands, but soon to be in only one. The lead singer in the other is getting on my nerves.

Isn't that always the way it goes?
    Lead singers: you can't live with them...you can't shoot them. What do you do?

Only kidding.

Seriously though, mrjoec, your graphics and web design work is very impressive.
    I am musically talentless.

I envy and respect those capable of making music.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast