1.    #1  
    I am debating getting a new computer; I got my laptop before law school and it has seen better days. Anyone have any recommendations where I can get a reasonably priced desktop (or laptop if there are any great deals)?
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew23
    I am debating getting a new computer; I got my laptop before law school and it has seen better days. Anyone have any recommendations where I can get a reasonably priced desktop (or laptop if there are any great deals)?
    Give a price range. What may be reasonable to one may not ne to another.
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew23
    I have seen desktops for $299 at Fry's. Check their online ad. As far as a laptop...you might check ebay or a local place that sells used.

For lawschool you don't need much. You just need something that can handle MS Office and maybe something like examsoft (if you type your exams).
    499 gets you a mini mac. of course you still need a monitor and keyboard/mouse. but as a recent mac convert myself, the few extra dollars is beyond worth it.
    Mac Mini. Apple takes offense when you call it a 'Mini Mac.'

I have a Dell 700m Inspiron and I *love* it. I was very close to getting a 12" powerbook G4 and then fell to the other side of the fence. The 700m was very reasonable and you can find awesome Dell coupons all over the place. I take my laptop everywhere and I am not the most careful person. The thing I did do though was invest in a 130 dollar case (designed for a 15" Powerbook. Hah!) and it's wonderful. Portable, powerful; what a laptop should be. It doesn't have a dedicated Graphics Card, though that doesn't really matter to me. Pop a gig of ram in the beast and it performs exceptionally. Not a huge fan of Dell in general, but I love this laptop.
    do you like viruses?
    If U R smart enough 2 get a Treo with Palm OS; then why not an Apple portable with Mac OS X? Better yet... If U really need more flavors then forget the Mac OS and boot the same Apple into Linux. If U realllyy have a 'Jones' 4 windows; install the M$ owned Virtual PC. In this day and age, I cannot believe that this topic needs debating or advice-giving. Plunk down for the BMWs of computing and never look back!
    Visor Deluxe (Green)>Treo 180g>Treo 600 (GSM)*>*Treo 650 (GSM)
    Hmmm...I sense no bias in any of these posts...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I've been a Gateway user for years now...never had any issues with the PC's or customer service.

The last hospital I worked for was an HP/Compaq shop. Wouldn't recommend these. Never seen so many onboard failures, particularly NIC's. Also, the power supplies crapped out left and right. Customer service however, was always great.

Dell makes a decent PC, however their customer support on the server side STINKS.

IBM makes a solid machine (especially laptops), and customer service is decent. However, they are a bit pricier.

Haven't had much experience with Mac's. Unless you are getting a mini though, the prices I've seen have been pretty high. I do IT work for small business and people on the side, and I've noticed in my area, there is hardly any local hardware/software support for Mac users.

It really all depends on what type of user you are and what you're looking for. If all you want is a cheap computer, Dell may be a better choice, as they have some pretty good deals.
    --> Me fail english? That's unpossible!! <--
    I'd have to echo dcsipe's comments. I prefer IBM as I don't like the touch pads, but Dell would be a close 2nd. Dell's prices and support (especially business) are great.

Where you purchase matters as well, and I really like Costco's return policy if you plan to buy in town. If purchasing from a store in your area and purchase an extended plan, save all of your receipts and read the plan carefully first! I've known a couple of people who have gotten burned at Best Buy because the had a unit replaced, didn't save the receipt, and Best Buy doesn't keep their own paper trail.

I don't know much about Macs ...I must have a thing for viruses, adware, spyware, trojans, etc.
    Costco has some great deals on computers.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Costco has some great deals on computers.
    Plus they have a 6 month return policy. Thats hard to beat!
    I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 for home and an IBM T41 for work, and love them both. Although a laptop will be pricier than a comparable desktop, I'd recommend getting a laptop if you can afford it. You'll find it to be much more convenient, especially for school, since you can take it with you to class, the library, the party....

Dell just rolled out a new laptop, the Inspiron 6000, that you might like if you're on a budget. And like someone else pointed out, Dell has coupons circulating on the Internet all the time, just do a search and see what you find. When I bought mine, my brother found me a $500 off coupon. These are perfectly legal, but unadvertised, coupons from Dell.

Plus, all of the major manufacturers offer refurbs, and I know a few people who have had great experiences with them. That'll save you a few bucks right there.

As far as using Windows and getting viruses, you only get a virus if you want to get a virus. If you don't bother to use a decent AV with up-to-date patterns and some sort of firewall (either hardware based NAT or a software package), then you know what you're getting. Plus, stop visiting all those shady sites! I have a router with NAT and use Norton Internet Security for both AV and a software firewall, and I have yet to get 1 virus on my machine.

Plus, the kernel for Tiger is hardly more secure than Windows, it's just no one wants to waste time writing a virus for a product that has a 10% market share.....It's much sexier to say you broke Windows than Mac OS-whatever.
    I'm back!
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I've got this little bugger. At 2.8 pounds it is light. Here are some pics:

The Specs:

SpecificationsModel
    Brand SHARP
    Model ACTIUS MP30
    Part# PCMP30

CPU
    CPU Type Transmeta Efficeon
    CPU Speed 1.6GHz
    CPU Cache 1MB

Operating Systems
    Operating System Windows XP Home

Display
    Screen Size 10.4"
    LCD Features TFT LCD
    Display Type XGA
    Resolution 1024 768

Graphics
    GPU/VPU ATI Mobility RADEON 7500
    Video Memory Dedicated 32MB

Hard Drive
    HD Capacity 40GB

Memory
    Memory Slots 2x SO-DIMM
    Memory Speed DDR333
    Memory Size 512MB
    Max Memory Supported 1GB

Optical Drive
    Optical Drive Type DVD/CD-RW
    Optical Drive Interface Integrated
    CD-R 16X
    CD-RW 10X
    CD-ROM 24X
    DVD-ROM 8X

Ports
    PCMCIA 1x Type I/II PC Card Slot
    USB 2
    VGA 1
    Audio Ports Yes

Input Device
    Touchpad Yes
    Keyboard Approx. 17mm key pitch / 1.7mm stroke keyboard

Power
    AC Adapter Universal AC Adapter -Input: 100 - 240V, 50/60Hz AC
    Battery Lithium Ion battery pack
    Battery Life 4.6 Hours

Communications
    Modem 56K
    LAN 10/100Mbps
    WLAN 802.11b/g

Audio
    Audio AC'97 compatible
    Speaker monaural speaker

Physical spec
    Dimensions 10" x 8.2" x 1.2"
    Weight 2.8 lbs

Warranty
    Manufacturer Warranty 1 Year

You can find it here Sharp MP30
  15.    #15  
    OMG, thanks guys! I already graduated law school so I think I am going to go with a desktop seeing as I don't really need to comute with my computer anymore (plus, you get more computer for your $ w/ a desktop).

As far as the online coupons, where do I get these? Sounds great! Right now, I am leaning towards a dell dimension. I looked at the 8400 and it looks pretty reasonable, I can get everything I want for about $1200, plus, they'll upgrade me to a 160gb hd (from 80gb)- way too much space for me, but I'll take it! Also, free shipping and a free color printer. Not bad, except I JUST bought a HP printer at CompUSA about 2 weeks ago b/c my old one broke. But again, I'll take it.

I'd be interested to learn more about the coupons and am open to any other recommendations anyone has before I purchase.

best.
    Check out this one from Costco for the same price: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11029758

I am thinking about buying it myself.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    I use www.techbargains.com for Dell coupons, but a google search will yield many different sites for your discount computing pleasure.