Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 184
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Here too. Please point out to me where christian Values are being oppressed?!!?

    What rights need protectin? The christian pharmacist who refuses to fill a prescription for the morning after pill?

    What groups are fighting to eliminate references to religion!? More specifically references where? Where is this great secular evil we're all hearing so much about?
    Oh jumpin' dieties, I'm on the side of daThomas! I'd like to know who is trying to eliminate religious references as well. Other than as a seperation of State issue, where is this wave of elimination? Are not chuches and Judeo/Christianity doing well in this country?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    Shouldn't the Government be proactively protecting the rights of Christians?
    It is protecting those rights by not allowing any religion. Imagine if Christianity was the minority religion and buddism was the majority. Wouldnt Christians not want any reference to religion if it meant recognizing a religion that they didnt believe in? Imagine a society that reinforced buddism or hinduistic points of view. How outrageous would that be for Christians (I know nothing of either of those religions...just using the examples.) (Thats why its better that the govt recognize no religion, because it either has to recognize all or none.)

    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    Seems like there are groups fighting to eliminate any and all reference to religion, primarily Christian in nature. Personally, I don't see how one can believe this even approaches the intent of the framers.
    I agree that most of the Framers were religious but I think they did not want religion to be recognized by the government and therefore 'established' by the government. I don't think its a zero-sum argument. You can have both points of view. Otherwise, the Constitution seems to contradict with the fact that the framers were religious and they inserted the establishment clause.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Please help me identify this MAJOR ONSLAUGHT on the conservatives.
    Lets see, off the top of my head here are a few:

    Environmental protection without regard to human cost - there can be a balance

    Gay marriage

    Animal Rights - once again there can be a balance

    Political Correctness as it relates to not educating for real life but rather protecting against "feeling bad"

    The desire to eliminate any and all references to religion - primarily Christian based religion (read many schools allow the celebration of major holidays for other religions but have to change the Christmas vacation to Winter Break, etc.) - in any government involved organization.


    And, before you say it, yes many of these apply across political lines however the greater impact has been on the conservative population, IMO.
  4. iomatic's Avatar
    Posts
    629 Posts
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    #64  
    Damn straight, Christianity needs to be removed from our government; there's no place for it. If not, then we should have Buddhist statues, Hindu gods, Celtic Valkyries or what-have-you sitting in every courthouse, public space and arena, as fair and equal to the unilateral Christian viewpoint.

    treo2die, it appears your lopsided viewpoint only serves to bury you under a straw-man.

    Onslaught, my arse; it's equity being brought back in.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    Damn straight, Christianity needs to be removed from our government; there's no place for it.
    I dont think it will ever be totally removed...in a very big sense, it was part of our foundation and purpose in being independent.

    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    If not, then we should have Buddhist statues, Hindu gods, Celtic Valkyries or what-have-you sitting in every courthouse, public space and arena, as fair and equal to the unilateral Christian viewpoint.
    As a policy argument, I wonder if this was ever discussed by the courts when the opinions on this were written?
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    Damn straight, Christianity needs to be removed from our government; there's no place for it. If not, then we should have Buddhist statues, Hindu gods, Celtic Valkyries or what-have-you sitting in every courthouse, public space and arena, as fair and equal to the unilateral Christian viewpoint.

    treo2die, it appears your lopsided viewpoint only serves to bury you under a straw-man.

    Onslaught, my arse; it's equity being brought back in.
    How many praticing Hindu's live here? I really had no idea that the overwhelming population of Hindu's were being missrepresented.
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    What rights need protectin? The christian pharmacist who refuses to fill a prescription for the morning after pill?
    I had no idea that pharmacists were government employees. If, as I recall it, they are not then they have every right to not do something they don't want to do. Just becuase someone IS a doctor doesn't mean they have to be YOUR doctor. What stops the woman from going to some other pharmacy?
  8. #68  
    My guess is that there is some regulation preventing them from discriminating (AMA?) and probably some government regulation.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    Damn straight, Christianity needs to be removed from our government; there's no place for it. If not, then we should have Buddhist statues, Hindu gods, Celtic Valkyries or what-have-you sitting in every courthouse, public space and arena, as fair and equal to the unilateral Christian viewpoint.

    treo2die, it appears your lopsided viewpoint only serves to bury you under a straw-man.

    Onslaught, my arse; it's equity being brought back in.
    First of all, onslaught was not my word - it was daThomas'.

    Second, before you jump on someone, I suggest you do your homework and at least read the entire thread. It is quite clear to me you have not as if you had, you'd see I have been pretty balanced in my comments.

    I too agree that Christianity, or any other religion for that matter, should not "run" the government. My disagreement comes when the actions of others take place for the express purpose of eliminating all influences (values, beliefs, etc.) from those who wish to participate in government. Surely you're not so blind as to not see this?

    See, the only reason I actually participate in this thread is to communicate my strong feeling that no one person should be telling any other person what they should believe or chastise them for not believing a certain way. I'm in the "believe what you believe and I can respect that camp" - not the "how could you camp."

    Did you know they build houses out of straw now and they are actually quite structurally sound
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    Damn straight, Christianity needs to be removed from our government; there's no place for it. If not, then we should have Buddhist statues, Hindu gods, Celtic Valkyries or what-have-you sitting in every courthouse, public space and arena, as fair and equal to the unilateral Christian viewpoint.

    treo2die, it appears your lopsided viewpoint only serves to bury you under a straw-man.

    Onslaught, my arse; it's equity being brought back in.
    This ignorant comment really bothers me. How many pictures of Jesus are in Budahpest? Is there even ONE cross in Iraq?

    The root of our legal system stems from christianity. There is no valid argument against this.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    I had no idea that pharmacists were government employees. If, as I recall it, they are not then they have every right to not do something they don't want to do. Just becuase someone IS a doctor doesn't mean they have to be YOUR doctor. What stops the woman from going to some other pharmacy?
    Sorry, I left out the steps which I figured would be assumed. Pharmicist refuses and is fired by chain for refusing to DO THEIR JOB then whines for gov't protection of their religious rights (but before we go any further down this path I'll point out that your religious rights are not protected under your employer meaning you can't be overlooked for promo because you're a satan worshipper but you can be told no goat heads at work).
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    This ignorant comment really bothers me. How many pictures of Jesus are in Budahpest? Is there even ONE cross in Iraq?

    The root of our legal system stems from christianity. There is no valid argument against this.
    That makes no sense whatsoever. Could you elaborate on that.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    My guess is that there is some regulation preventing them from discriminating (AMA?) and probably some government regulation.
    Maybe but the guy can quit if he feels that strongly about it. Just as the woman can go somewhere else.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Here too. Please point out to me where christian Values are being oppressed?!!?

    What rights need protectin? The christian pharmacist who refuses to fill a prescription for the morning after pill?

    What groups are fighting to eliminate references to religion!? More specifically references where? Where is this great secular evil we're all hearing so much about?
    So you think the bashing of the "religious right" is not an attempt to oppress them, not an attempt to drive them into the closet "where they belong"? A bit naive don't you think?
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    That makes no sense whatsoever. Could you elaborate on that.
    You get it, but I will explain anyway.

    I don't go to China expecting to see my religion at all, let alone with equal presence.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    Maybe but the guy can quit if he feels that strongly about it. Just as the woman can go somewhere else.
    I agree that the guy can quit but why make the girl go somewhere else for a medication or prescription? The pharmacist shouldnt be allowed to discriminate.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    So you think the bashing of the "religious right" is not an attempt to oppress them, not an attempt to drive them into the closet "where they belong"? A bit naive don't you think?
    Extremely Naive
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    You get it, but I will explain anyway.

    I don't go to China expecting to see my religion at all, let alone with equal presence.
    So how does this relate to the rule of law in this country?
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I agree that the guy can quit but why make the girl go somewhere else for a medication or prescription? The pharmacist shouldnt be allowed to discriminate.
    I didn't even realize ALL pharmacists were christian
    Is this some epidemic sweeping the country. I am assuming there was one case in the paper. As you said they are probably already regulated against discrimination.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    Lets see, off the top of my head here are a few:

    Environmental protection without regard to human cost - there can be a balance

    Gay marriage

    Animal Rights - once again there can be a balance

    Political Correctness as it relates to not educating for real life but rather protecting against "feeling bad"

    The desire to eliminate any and all references to religion - primarily Christian based religion (read many schools allow the celebration of major holidays for other religions but have to change the Christmas vacation to Winter Break, etc.) - in any government involved organization.


    And, before you say it, yes many of these apply across political lines however the greater impact has been on the conservative population, IMO.
    What the crap does the environment have to do with the onslaught on christianity?

    Marriage is a legal condition which affords rights. It's a matter of time before Gay marriage. Not to start a debate on it tin this thread, there are other threads on that.

    Animal rights? Once again, this offends christians?

    PC is often stupid but again, how it disenfranchises christians I can't guess.

    Many times school districts don't understand the non-endorsement issues and come down on the oppressive side. It would surprise you to know the ACLU has often come in on the religious person/group's side.

    However, creationism in science texts and the like, come on. Besides. That the christians attacking not the libs.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions