Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910
Results 181 to 184 of 184
  1. #181  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    The fact that gun shops have to carry trigger locks is because there is a law saying so.
    Which is exactly why I posted it...to show you that the govt can make private businesses carry certain products.

    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Do you know of a law forcing pharmacies to carry specific products?
    No I don't but thats not the point I was making...I simply stated that an argument could be made that a pharmacy could be made to carry a particular product. Are you reading what I am posting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    As to making your argument, the example you cite isn't really relevant.
    Relevance is subjective . Like I mentioned above...its just an example...not completely analogous.
  2. #182  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Agreed..but Woof's statement was much more broad. (And yes I agree that "people looking to consume the morning after pill are not a protected class of people".)
    My statement was only broad in the sense that I didnt specify refusal of service with the exception of protected classes. I didnt say that because it might be tough to prove discrimination based on class. Why? Because a store owner can happily say he doesnt want to serve you because it's Tuesday and he doesnt serve red shirted people on Tuesdays. Now if seven blacks in read shirts came in on a Tuesday, could they prove he was discriminating against their race? I mean who would believe the red shirt thing. But if there were two white people also turned away for red shirts that Tuesday, what could they do. I am sure someone would try the race card, but it wouldnt fly. Its a stupid example yes but it makes the point the business owner the right to choose who he does business with.
    In order to prove discrimination you would have to have a lengthy list of people of the same class and prove the pharmacist was turning them away based on this common trait.

    Let me put it another way. I sell insurance. One of my products is life insurance. For tobacco users, life insurance is much more expensive, because tobacco is proven to shorten life span and cause other medical problems. Now I choose not to deal with too many tobacco users because I hate tying to get them to understand they will pay more for life insurance because they choose to use tobacco. It's annoying. So are you suggesting I should be forced by the government to seek out smokers or not refer them somewhere else because its wrong to discriminate? It is my business and they are easily able to obtain insurance elsewhere, if they are willing to pay the premium.

    Have you ever owned a business? Ever dealt with people who dont pay for your service? Do you do business with them again and again and not get paid? I dont think so. Same thing.
  3. #183  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Which is exactly why I posted it...to show you that the govt can make private businesses carry certain products.

    No I don't but thats not the point I was making...I simply stated that an argument could be made that a pharmacy could be made to carry a particular product. Are you reading what I am posting?

    Relevance is subjective . Like I mentioned above...its just an example...not completely analogous.
    I was arguing that there is no reason a pharmacy could be made to carry a certain product. Your gun example is a fine one for gun shops. There is a safety concern here. Yes that makes sense. What is the corresponding pharmacy item that needs a safety secondary item? You think the pharmacists lawyer isnt going to ask for just cause on this? WHY would the pharmacy be forced to carry products? Just because a gun shop had to offer a trigger lock. Precedent has to be relevant, regardless of your definition of relevant.

    You also make it sound like you are all for the government forcing business to carry specific products. I'm hoping thats not the case but you arguing this point leads me there.
  4. #184  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    Say Hi to (Clyde) AFLAC!
    Hi Chick. Clyde and I dont talk much anymore but next time I see him I'll pass on your greeting.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910

Posting Permissions