1.    #1  
    I really don't have a clue about anything technical about cars, especially the electronics. I never even heard the word "DIN" before, except to refer to noise, not bays. I hope someone can give me some info on this.

I want to install an aftermarket stereo/dvd/gps thingy in my 2001 Volvo. Here are some facts, first:

I plan to go to Best Buy and have them do the installation. Also, I already have the factory installed radio+CD player in my Volvo now. I want to replace it with Pioneer's AVIC-N1.

I'm not too sure what I need, but this is what I can gather so far. Can someone help me with this?:

1. I have already located the face-plate in-dash kit:
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/SCOVO4148B

2. Do I need to buy a "Connector Kit" (connectors to attach your stereo wires to the wires on your wiring harness) or will a typical DVD unit come with the necesary wires?

3. Do I need to buy a "Car Stereo Wiring Harness" ( 'mates' the power and speaker wires from the aftermarket in-dash car stereo to your vehicle's factory wiring harness), or again, or will a typical DVD unit come with the necesary wires?

4. Antenna Adapter

? I'm clueless!!

Thanks!!
    <a href="http://www.terriblemovies.com">TerribleMovies.Com</a>
    If you have them do it, they will get all of those things for you (and you'll be charged for it). If you're good with a soldering iron, you could do it yourself and save some money, but if it's your first time out, I'd let the pros do it.

DIN is an industry standard that sets forth the major dimensions of a car stereo, at least the height and width of it. (Depth will vary between manufacturers, but they won't be all that much different). When you look at the ads in the paper and you see a car stereo, chances are you're looking at one with a DIN-sized chassis. Other standards are double-DIN (self-explanitory; it's the same width but twice as tall in the face; this is becoming popular in much newer Japanese imports) and an OEM standard used by GM and Chrysler in their late model cars (pretty much only Jensen and Pioneer make stereos in this size; I have one in my Grand Caravan).

Go to Crutchfield.com and poke around in their car stereo section. There is lots of info and they have a great glossary. [Note: This isn't an endorsement, just a reference source.] There, you can enter your car and it will tell you the models of car stereo that will fit it and whether any faceplate adapters are necessary. If you decide to buy from them, they usually include all the wiring stuff free, as well as reasonably good diagrams on how to install it (stereo and speakers) in your specific car.

If you were going to do it yourself, you would get the stereo "head unit". It will come with a wire loom that connects into the stereo on one end, and has bare labelled wires on the other. This is where the car connector kit comes into play; one end is bare wires, and the other snaps into your car's existing wiring harness. Some people crimp them or use wire nuts; the pros solder and shrink wrap. You may need an antenna adapter; this varies between stereo manufacturers and car manufacturers.

I haven't looked at the unit you're looking at, but if it includes video, I would again strongly advise you to leave it to a pro.

Best of luck
    Visor 2MB -> Visor Deluxe -> Visor Neo -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Centro
    I wouldn't reccomend best buy if your not buying the headunit from them the employ people with very limited skills I would check out some rivate car audio shops around your way...if your in jersey hit me up via e-mail I can hook it up for less thqn u think
  4.    #4  
    Hey thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I am just trying to make sure now that the unit fits in my Volvo...I hope so, cause I'd hate to buy it and then have to return it!
    I checked at Crutchfield.com. From what you posted before, I believe you have a 2001 Volvo S80 w/CD but no nav system, right?

Their site replied with the following:
    We can't find any products that will fit in your vehicle or we have no information (or incomplete info) about your vehicle in our car database.

But we'd like to help you find what you're looking for please call us toll-free at 1-888-955-6000, 8 AM to midnight (Eastern time) to speak with a Sales Advisor. You can also e-mail your questions to us at solutions@crutchfield.com.
    Visor 2MB -> Visor Deluxe -> Visor Neo -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Centro
  6.    #6  
    Hey, thank you so much for trying to help out. They said they don't have anything, but I did find a kit online that specifically fits the 2001 Volvo S80, it was from CarDomain.com. The guys there told me any standard single DIN unit would fit in the kit.

One issue I'm having is which player to get. I wanted to spoil myself and get the AVIC-N2, which has DVD & GPS bundled, but it doesn't play MP3s on DVDs, and I'm getting this primarily for the music...so I decided if it's not 100% what I'm looking for, then I shouldn't get it.

Shortly after, I saw this unit - JVC's KD-AV7010, which plays MP3s on DVDs, and has a 7 inch screen. Just about perfect, I thought - but it has one major drawback: it doesn't come with GPS. So, I was wondering whether I can buy a GPS system seperately - like the receiver and the software - and bundle it in? Is that technically possible? If so, what are some good GPS systems that you would recommend?

This JVC unit is at:
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/JVCKDAV7010

Thanks SO much for the info and trying to help me out!!