1.    #1  
    I'm investing in the Bose QC2 headphones and an iPod so I'm looking to get the best audio quality from my CDs when converting them to MP3s.

What's your software of choice and what settings do you use? 320? Variable?

Thanks in advance for sharing your words
    1 | 2
    Quote Originally Posted by MFizzel
    I'm investing in the Bose QC2 headphones and an iPod so I'm looking to get the best audio quality from my CDs when converting them to MP3s.

I like audiograbber. Here is the link to the page. http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

I has lots of options that I like: cddb database search (so it can label your mp3's automatically), kick out the cd when its done, rip to wav and then encode to mp3 and then delete the wav file.

Best of all, its freeware! Try it.

If you want highest quality audio you should use lossless encoding. Itunes does this and you can listen to it on your ipod just fine.
    http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/mac060204.html
    Cdex 1.51

I also use it to convert to Ogg
    Unfortunately Itunes software is lack-lustered and just occupying space, if it wasn't for Pepsi's promo I wouldn't put that junk on my HD.

Just about anything is better than Apple's proprietary products.

Sound Forge.
    I use Audiograber and convert to Ogg Vorbis at 64bits. Lovely sound and smaller file then MP3's. Nearly half as much for the same quality.
    Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour
    (Those who live in the dark shall meet the light and all shall die by my hand.)

(Device:Palm Pilot>Handspring Deluxe>Handspring Treo 270>Sony Clie NX60U>PalmOne Treo 600)
    (Beta Tester:Pocketdimension 2 / Quirl / PalmMAME / Seven Email Client)

i use nero (express for converting to mp3)
    sound forge is excellent as well, in sound forge you can chop up(take a certain section or loop a section) an mp3 and use it as a ringtone
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    I agree with Chick, as far as sound quality lossless compression leaves MP3 in the dust, hands down. Personally I think itunes is an incredible program -but if you have some type of hate-Apple hang-up there is an open source PC based lossless audio compression program called FLAC which is said to be quite good.

http://www.mp3.com/tech/tutorials_lossless_flac.php
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 04/08/2005 at 08:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    I agree with Chick, as far as sound quality lossless compression leaves MP3 in the dust, hands down. Personally I think itunes is an incredible program -but if you have some type of hate-Apple hang-up there is an open source PC based lossless audio compression program called FLAC which is said to be quite good.

http://www.mp3.com/tech/tutorials_lossless_flac.php
    Flac is good. Use it on both my PC and Macs...(iPods can't handle it though.) Ape is another good lossless format, but absolutely will not work on a Mac or iPod.

Unless you're going to run straight .wav files on your iPod, your best bet is probably mp3 @320, or Apple Lossless if you run a Mac.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Oh, and I guess to answer the OP's question, I use Audiograbber as well on my PC for mp3s. It's even better now that its free!!

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  11.    #11  
    I don't have a mac, and since FLAC files don't play on the ipod, my best bet is encoding at 320?
    1 | 2
    I don't have a mac, and since FLAC files don't play on the ipod, my best bet is encoding at 320?
    If you want a "pure" sound, a .wav file would be best. But thats about 10MB a minute. I would use mp3 @256 at the least. A lot will depend on your phones, and how well tuned you are to sound. I spend hours mixing and recording music on both my Mac and a 16 track recorer, so I'm a bit more picky with mp3 compression than a casual listener might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    Such as?
    I've never wanted an iPod since I've been very happy with my ArchosArchos

The unit is larger than an iPod, sure, but I was able to swap out the hard drive and put in an 80 gig to hold all of my music. Additionally, some brilliant hackers have made their own firmware: Rockbox! which enables a ton of awesome features that many mp3 players don't have.

Music is my lifeblood, so I take it very seriously. I'm certainly not an audiophile, so VBR mp3s suit my needs just fine, but I use Exact Audio Copy to rip my CDs and compress it with LAME with the --r3mix. I maintain the tags with Tag and Rename, but there are better (and free) options out there.

So far, all of my mp3s have the title, artist, album, year, and genre tags filled, and now I'm working on tracking down the cover artwork. It never ends...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    That's great and I am happy for you. I chose not to carry a brick around and, like you, MP3 suit me just fine. But, still, it is hardly convincing that "Just about anything is better than Apple's proprietary products," as dlbrummels said.
    Maybe he was directing that towards the iTunes/iPod connection and the DRM on the iTunes audio files?
    I use windows media or music match. 128 is more than what I can discern.