Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With the MP3 players getting the news lately, I thought it'd be fun to ask what kind of music do you listen to.

I listen to mostly modern rock and classic rock, with a sprinkling of oldies and pop here and there. My favorite bands are a tie between U2 and Pearl Jam (I'll be at the Woodlands Oct 14!).

What about you?
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    My mom works for Sony Music (formerly Columbia Records) and I've grown up with everything from the Sex Pistol to Billy Joel to Alabama. So I pretty much listen to anything depending on the mood. I think i can safely say that i have been in the mood to listen to every type of music in mainstream at some point in my life (i'll exclude 'south american amazon wooden instrument' stuff ....you get the picture )

You should see the CD collection at home! My friends laugh when they see Marilyn Manson, Shania Twain and Britney Spears CD's sitting on the shelf!
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    I like a little bit of everything. My collection is pretty varied. I have everything from Beethoven to Metallica to Elton John to Kiss (only the original stuff, no "sans makeup" crap) to Robert Johnson to Tomita to Bela Fleck and the Flecktones (their new album, Outbound, is KILLER!!) to Patsy Cline to ...well you get the point. A lot of what I like is not necessarily based on music genre as much as it is based on artist. I don't like a lot of the current drivel that is being pushed by the record companies but I won't climb on that soapbox here.

Some of my favorites are:

Dream Theater (totally kick *** musicians!)
    Bela Fleck
    Stevie Ray Vaughn
    David Bowie (old, old stuff - StationToStation, Ziggy Stardus, etc)
    Jethro Tull (Songs From the Woods, Heavy Horses are favs)
    Frank Zappa (the rock stuff as well as the jazz stuff)
    Rush
    Jimi Hendrix
    Led Zepplin
    Deep Purple
    Alice Cooper (when he had the original band)
    Tchaikovsky (sp?)
    Mussourgsky (again with the sp?)
    Aaron Copeland
    Bach
    Beethoven
    Wagner
    etc., etc., etc.

What the Heck! It's what I want!
    It's easier to tell you what kind of music I _don't_ listen to: most Pop and Country and the pointless side of Rap and Metal. Other than that, nearly anything goes. My current four CDs sitting on top of my computer are the Dune Soundtrack, Earth Wind & Fire's Super Hits, Offspring's Smash, and Spock's Beard's Day For Night (currently playing). I've got a live Miles Davis and Quincy Jones collaboration in the player at home currently. I've got Nevermore's Dreaming Neon Black in the truck player currently. My tastes run the gamut.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Maybe an interesting variation to James' question is:

What is the last CD/MP3 that you listened to? or what's loaded in your player right now?

My car CD's loaded are: Kid Rock, Now 3 (compilation), Tragically Hip, Smash Mouth, Our Lady Peace, Sister Hazel.

(6 disc changer)
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    glad to see there're so many varied tastes running around. i'll add my name to the eclectic or bust list...

chronologically (by era -- sorta)

old school jazz: duke from the 20's, billie, etc.,
    pop standards: ella, sarah, satchmo
    the rat pack!!!!
    miles, trane, dave brubeck
    the king
    the beatles
    marvin gaye
    fleetwood mac
    the saturday night fever soundtrack et al.
    the police!!!!!
    duran duran, depeche mode
    the beasties, rundmc, et al.
    prince
    U2!!!!!
    rem
    ani difranco
    and now i'm into these guys who fuse old school and modern stuff: g love and special sauce, us3, moby, bjork, and most definitely the squirrel nut zippers.

in the player right now is g love's eponymous album.

[Edited by matty on 09-14-2000 at 02:23 PM]
    exit, pursued by a bear.
    Just wanted to point out that Hosers last post came from Satan himself (referring to the number of posts) But to stay on subject...last CD's I listened to would be Creed, David Bowie (the newest one) and Red Hot Chili Peppers. Mainly the same genre but I also have a wide varity of types...advantages of running a music store for a few years.

Oh yeah and Can't forget Sting...Favorite artist...wonderful concert this summer.

Horus
    "Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly."
    ~Batman costume warning label
    Hmm, a little of everything, but most recently in heavy rotation are anything by:

ON (Ken Andrews' woefully underpromoted new band - http://www.onmusic.org)
    Failure
    Sugar
    Bob Mould
    Adrian Belew
    Tom Waits
    Steely Dan
    Dixie Dregs
    Capitol Records' Ultra-Lounge series
    Aaron Copland
    Frank Zappa
    Charles Ives
    Jon Spencer Blues Explosion

And so on... most people who look at my CD rack don't recognize 80% of the stuff on it.

First onto the MiniJam I'm going to win will be ON's debut album, "Shifting Skin", methinks...

-Andy
    <br>"Form follows function - that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union" -Frank Lloyd Wright
    Give me Country or give me death... I'll listen to good ol' Rock & Roll on occasion but prefer Country.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Anything by Bob Marley or Peter Tosh. Also, when I feel like banging my head around, Korn or Godsmack. Then again, I also get the itching for some blues, Taj Mahal.
    The Beatles! All time favorite! I mostly listen to 60's & 70's music, but also like some later stuff.

list...
    Doors
    Elton John (older stuff)
    Pink Floyd (only time I watch Wizard of Oz; now if the minijam could only play video too, hehehe...)
    Moody Blues
    Cat Stevens
    Led Zeppelin
    Simon and Garfunkel
    Cream
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    RadioHead
    and various other Macster downloaded songs...
    nirvana
    slipknot
    deftones
    bush
    bob dylan
    my type of music would have to be punk and ska-core. in no sort of order, the bands (drum roll please)...

MXPX!
    five iron frenzy
    mu330
    pennywise
    the hippos
    the ataris
    zebrahead
    less than jake
    jimmy eat world
    the get up kids
    slickshoes
    philmore
    weezer
    beastie boys
    dave matthews
    green day
    ghoti hook
    freeto boat
    nifty tom fifty
    offspring
    sublime
    suicide machines

I think that I may have the most varied taste in music in music here. I can go from Classic Rock, Modern/Alternative Rock, House, Industrial, Techno, Metal,Rap, Soul, Classical, Pop, Jazz, Go-Go (a D.C. Thang!) and on and on... A sampling of my collection:

Prince
    Ice Cube
    Count Basie
    Bjork
    Michael Jackson
    L7
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Whitney Houston
    Rage Against the Machine
    Mötley Crüe
    Depeche Mode
    The Cure
    Maxwell
    Wyclef
    Chuck Brown
    Alanis Morrisette
    Living Colour
    Wu-Tang
    Anita Baker
    Sneaker Pimps
    Mendelssohn

...and the list goes on and on...
    I've got all kinda CDs, but the most numerous MP3s I have are songs sung by Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner, which is probably why I didn't make a rush out to order the Minijam .
    garinballbarin
    Well, right now I have about 4500 - 5000 mp'3 on my computer (I love napster ). At the mos I have 10 by one artist, so unless you want a list ten pages long I'll just say that I listen to almost everything (except country). The minijam should be perfect for me because of all the MP3's, but I'd rather use my MP3 computer in my car. (and save a couple thousand in storage)
    BEN
    We have both kinds of music on VisorCentral...Country and Western!

I can't honestly nail down my taste in music, but I do have most of Jimmy Buffett's collection, as well as classical, metal, pop, Celtic, and even some country. My last purchase was for The Best of Black Sabbath, The Corrs, and Anastacia. It realy depends on what I'm doing as to what I prefer. Driving needs some hard rock or techno to keep the BMW moving on the Autobahn and I like Enya at the office to keep the stress down. I doubt anyone listens to one genre exclusively.

RadarGreg
    Classical, particularly piano, and mostly Ivo Pogorelich.

Right now, I have London's Classic FM playing on Windows Media Player whilst posting and surfing.
    If you looked at my mp3's from Napster, you'd see everything from OZZY to Elton John. Absolutely NO country!!!!

I really enjoy hard rock, heavy metal and most alternative:

Temple of the Dog (James, you must know this one as a Pearl Jam fan)

Soundgarden
    Queensryche
    Type O Negative
    Def Tones
    Creed
    Kenny Loggins
    Sarah McLachlan
    Metallica
    Dokken
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Live *** Favorite Band
    Pink Floyd
    I use a Visor DX
    Therefore I am cool!
    You want to talk variety? Here's my list of genres:
    Power Pop, Rock, Metal, Punk (particularly old school NYC style and some new pop punk), Jazz, Classical (baroque and 20th century), Balinese, Oldies, Soul, Funk, pretty much anything but country (and hell, what we call country now was rock and roll in '74), most latin music (though I love the beats) and most current pop music. I can even enjoy most euro-techno with the proper sedatives. As for whats in my cd player right now, its mostly pop:

Counting Crows (LARGE collection)
    Edwin McCain
    Get Up Kids
    Sunny Day Real Estate
    Older Pearl Jam and related
    Queensryche
    Iron Maiden
    Metallica (before they sold out...and I mean after Justice)
    +Live+
    Parliament Funkadelic
    Marvin Gaye
    Ben Folds Five
    Anton Weburn
    Peter Stuart
    Phish
    Radiohead
    Rage Against the Machine
    The Police
    Toad The Wet Sprocket
    Weezer