Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    He needs to go. Wives and daughters, even if they were important to the campaign should not be paid out of the campaign fund. Absent some absolutely astounding evidence that this was all proper, this is completely crooked. For the good of the party. Get out.
    Some perspective can be found here....

http://www.nationalreview.com/frum/frum-diary.asp

Did you know that Chuck Schumer, the senior senator from NY just paid the biggest FEC fine ever for his campaign financing? Or that one of Hillary's campaign finance gurus is under investigation?

That doesn't make what Delay may, or may not have, done right, but why aren't we hearing about those indiscretions? (Who can forget the video of Al Gore at the Buddhist temple, taking sequentially numbered money orders from monks?)

A pox on all their houses!
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    He needs to go. Wives and daughters, even if they were important to the campaign should not be paid out of the campaign fund. Absent some absolutely astounding evidence that this was all proper, this is completely crooked. For the good of the party. Get out.
    I can't believe this comes as a surprise to anyone, especially a Texas republican.

This story, http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in685923.shtml is just another example of how out of hand our leaders are (on both sides of the aisle), and make no mistake, this is just the tip of the iceburg when it comes to the current political climate and the overall "me and mine first" attitude that we see time and time again. Tom Delay is just behaving based on the example his Texas buddy and our President has set, taking care of himself, then his family, then his friends...and if there is any left, maybe his constituents, and then, just maybe he can spare a moment for the American People.
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    If he goes to trial, maybe Mark Geragos can represent him, I hear he is looking for work now.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 04/06/2005 at 06:16 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G
    I can't believe this comes as a surprise to anyone, especially a Texas republican.
    I'm actually unaffiliated.
    Tom Delay is just behaving based on the example his Texas buddy and our President has set, taking care of himself, then his family, then his friends...and if there is any left, maybe his constituents, and then, just maybe he can spare a moment for the American People.
    Ohhh, please enlighten us on how the President is taking care of himself?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Playing golf and going on vacation a lot?
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Playing golf and going on vacation a lot?
    Hehehe...you know, that really doesn't bother me. The stress of being President, must take a huge toll for any person. And we all know Presidents are never truly on vacation.

However, it seemed that MattM2G was insinuating some financial shenanigans, which if he were indeed implying that, would be a serious, perhaps impeachable offense.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Hehehe...you know, that really doesn't bother me. The stress of being President, must take a huge toll for any person. And we all know Presidents are never truly on vacation
    being president seems to take a bigger toll on republicans than it does on democrats.

http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20031001.html

There's a cell phone in the golf cart.........see?
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    being president seems to take a bigger toll on republicans than it does on democrats.

http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20031001.html

There's a cell phone in the golf cart.........see?
    Funny you brought that up. I saw that article, or one like it not too long ago...

Still, I don't have a problem with it. Especially in this age of satellites, cell phones, video conferencing, etc. And yes I would say that if the Presidents name were Kerry or Gore.

I know i tend to have a Libertarian view of governments role, but I haven't any good reason why Congress must spend more than five or six months in session. Too much time and they start wasting money on steroid use in baseball, or meddling in a family affair (The Shiavos.)

Bush entertains a lot of heads of state at his ranch. I'll bet that accounts for a lot of the "vacation" time the media is reporting.

Clinton didn't own a house until HILLARY! ran for senate and they needed to establish residency.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    Some perspective can be found here....

http://www.nationalreview.com/frum/frum-diary.asp

Did you know that Chuck Schumer, the senior senator from NY just paid the biggest FEC fine ever for his campaign financing? Or that one of Hillary's campaign finance gurus is under investigation?

That doesn't make what Delay may, or may not have, done right, but why aren't we hearing about those indiscretions? (Who can forget the video of Al Gore at the Buddhist temple, taking sequentially numbered money orders from monks?)

A pox on all their houses!
    Because Delay has a long, long, list of crap and it just keeps geting bigger and bigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Because Delay has a long, long, list of crap and it just keeps geting bigger and bigger.
    I was wondering when you were going to show up on this thread.

How much of Delay's "crap" is simply the corrupt way of doing business that has become DC? Did you read the link I provided...it seems that paying family members out of campaign funds isn't illegal. Sure stinks though. Sweetheart junkets? Well, it seems that Nancy "wide eyes" Pelosi can't say much about that, either.

Do you remember the House check cashing scandal? The Keating Five? ABSCAM? Hell, Tea Pot Dome? Both sides are dirty in these deals. Sometimes I'd like to take 535 names out of a telephone book and call that Congress.

Speaking of crap, if I did 1/1000th of what Sandy Berger did with those records, my **** would be in Ft. Leavenworth. Another insider sweetheart deal.

George Orwell, please pick up the white courtesy phone.
    Story Here

Nancy Pelosi's Ethics Questioned

"In what pundits are calling a quid-pro-quo for her hard line on the ethics of House majority leader Tom Delay, R-Tex, House minority leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif, is under fire for an advisor's nine-day, $ 4,475 junket to Spain and Germany last April, a trip primarily paid for by a nonprofit transportation-research organization Pelosi had helped to secure Federal Transit Administration monies, according to a report in the Washington Times.

According to the report, the president of WestStart-CALSTART also gave money to Pelosi's political action committee at the same time.

The trip is fodder for some Republicans, hwo say Pelosi and others have been going overboard when criticizng DeLay on ethics charges.

"Given the actions of the minority leader vis-a-vis the majority leader and other Republicans, I'm having a little trouble finding where the outrage is coming from these groups that continue to pound on Republican members," a senior Republican lawmaker said on the condition of anonymity.

Although the Pelosi camp has issued a statement maintaining that the disputed trip was within House rules, the anonymous lawmaker told the Times that nothing distinguishes Pelosi's actions from those of DeLay and other Republicans that she has criticized.

"I think the minority leader ought to be subject to the same type of scrutiny as other members," he said, adding that the questions aobut Mrs. Pelosi rise to the point of an ethics complaint.

Apparently there was little attempt at subterfuge -- with WestStart-CALSTART announcing just before the trip that Pelosi had helped the gorup secure $ 1 million from the Federal Transit Administration for a bus rapid-transit program. Furthermore a month after the advisor's trip, the group dispatched a press release thanking her for a $ 2 million grant for a fuel-cell program.

According to campaign records revealed by the Times report, WestStar-CALSTART Chief Executive Officer John R. Boesel also gave $ 1,000 to one of Pelosi's political action committees in 2003 and $ 1,000 to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.

Boesel said there is no link between the staffer's trip and the grants, nothing that Pelosi had backed his projects for more than a decade. Boesel also emphasized that the programs in question have drawn support from both parties and that his political donations have been divvied up to both parties.

Despite such disclaimers, Ken Boehm, chairman of the conservative National Legal and Policy Center, which has targeted Pelosi's campaign fundraising in the past, said, "I think it looks like she's doing legislative favors for donors, because she is."

The controversy arises as Republicans mount an offensive against what they think is a coordinated attack by her and allied groups on DeLay."

Sounds pretty "fishy" to me. Even the appearance of a quid-pro-quo on Pelosi's part calls her ethics into question.

To me, the biggest factor between the actions of Tom DeLay and Nancy Pelosi, is DeLay is a Republican and Pelosi is a Democrat. The democrats are outraged at DeLays "supposed" ethics problems, yet they aren't outraged at the "supposed" ethics problems of Pelosi.

Why is it that the democrats feel that they being ethically challenged is not a problem, but when a republican is ethically challenged they want to drum them out of the congress? Hmmm?
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Funny you brought that up. I saw that article, or one like it not too long ago...

Still, I don't have a problem with it. Especially in this age of satellites, cell phones, video conferencing, etc. And yes I would say that if the Presidents name were Kerry or Gore.

I know i tend to have a Libertarian view of governments role, but I haven't any good reason why Congress must spend more than five or six months in session. Too much time and they start wasting money on steroid use in baseball, or meddling in a family affair (The Shiavos..
    You know I think I can go along with that, now that you mention it. Following along with your libertarian spirit, the less Bush does is better as far as I am concerned. I don't begrude him his vacations at all.
    Hehehe...you know, that really doesn't bother me. The stress of being President, must take a huge toll for any person. And we all know Presidents are never truly on vacation.

However, it seemed that MattM2G was insinuating some financial shenanigans, which if he were indeed implying that, would be a serious, perhaps impeachable offense.

Not to say that Democrats haven't had their share of shenanigans as well, but this doesn't even touch on the Halliburton debacle either, which is going to make Enron look like a misdemeanor.

....and no I am not a liberal democrat!!!!!
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    ...but this doesn't even touch on the Halliburton debacle either, which is going to make Enron look like a misdemeanor.....
    Halliburton...dont forget Diebold
    DeLay to the Dems is like Clinton to the Republicans...a very polarizing figure.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I just remember somebody saying that the more "controversary" Clinton became involved in, the bigger the Bible was that he humped to church
    Tom Delay, Gone Tomorrow
    "This space intentionally left blank."
Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast