Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    The simple fact remains that this is a politically driven prosecution. This case, like Kay Bailey Hutchinson's, will be dismissed before it gets to trial.

Oh, and what sort of grand jury foreman discusses a case before the media?
    I share republican ideology, need to warn you though,
    Tom Delay ain't no saint .
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolkiT
    lol comment like these crack me up and I know there is not point in reading the rest ...
    That's just like NRG saying quote it from a creditable source....and Fox News doesn't count.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    " Claim partisan politics all you want. But this no longer about image. It is about law. Delay can moan, scream, spit venom as much as he wants, but the simple fact remains he has to answer to a judge and jury now."

-nrg

this is about the law? bull---t. this is more about partisan politics than anything else. where were these democrat heroes "in the name of the law" when sandy berger did his crimes? why didn't they report THEIR OWN man if they are all about the "LAW"?
    you can try spinning things, but most people see it for what it REALLY is.

As was said before, political conspiracy carries a greater punishment than a sentence - Earle has broadcasted his true intent to go after Delay and all other republicans from the beginning. we know what the democrat streetfighters are all about. They're not fooling anyone.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    As was said before, political conspiracy carries a greater punishment than a sentence - Earle has broadcasted his true intent to go after Delay and all other republicans from the beginning. we know what the democrat streetfighters are all about. They're not fooling anyone.
    If this is all true, then Delay has nothing to worry about from the grand jury indictment.

What kind of bothers me is if Delay did do this...then why only do it for $190k Thats chump change. I would have expected millions.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    well, just like everyone else, I'm VERY interested to see what the results will be here.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    So if Delay's the ham sandwich, when's the picnic....a year from now??
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    So if Delay's the ham sandwich, when's the picnic....a year from now??
    Oct. 26th I think.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Update.

Source: LA Times

DeLay Says He'll Remain Active in House

WASHINGTON -- Rep. Tom DeLay pledged on Sunday to take an active role in the Republican leadership despite being forced out as majority leader because of criminal conspiracy charges in Texas.

DeLay, who last week stepped aside temporarily from the No. 2 job in the House, said he will continue his close partnership with House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill. DeLay said the GOP leadership wants to act aggressively in the next eight weeks to push an agenda of lowering gas prices, cutting taxes and enforcing immigration laws.

"I get to continue my partnership with the speaker," DeLay said, describing how he envisions his role. "The speaker and I have led the House for eight years. It's because we get along together, we think the same. We're simpatico," DeLay told "Fox News Sunday."

But he added, "I wouldn't call it running the show. I would call it working together to get our agenda done."...

-snip-

"This is a frivolous indictment," DeLay said Sunday. "I think it will be over and over very soon. I will go back to be majority leader."

-snip-
    Another Grand Jury just levied a "money laundering" charge.
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Another Grand Jury just levied a "money laundering" charge.
    A different one? Good god! When it rains it pours.

Source: Yahoo! (AP)

Grand Jury Indicts DeLay on New Charge

AUSTIN, Texas - A Texas grand jury indicted Rep. Tom DeLay on a new charge of money laundering Monday, less than a week after another grand jury leveled a conspiracy charge that forced DeLay to temporarily step down as House majority leader.

Both indictments accuse DeLay and two political associates of conspiring to get around a state ban on corporate campaign contributions by funneling the money through a political action committee to the Republican National Committee in Washington.

The RNC then sent back like amounts to distribute to Texas candidates in 2002, the indictment alleges.

The new indictment came hours after DeLay's attorneys filed a request to dismiss the case. That request argued that the conspiracy charge was based on a law that was not effective until 2003, the year after the alleged money transfers.

-snip-
    Interesting timing...another charge right after a motion to dismiss. "That request argured that the conspriacy charge was based on a law that was not effective until 2003, the year after the alleged money transfers. A little Ex Post Facto action from Ronnie.
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Interesting timing...another charge right after a motion to dismiss. "That request argured that the conspriacy charge was based on a law that was not effective until 2003, the year after the alleged money transfers. A little Ex Post Facto action from Ronnie.
    See here.

Source: MSNBC

-snip-

No effect on the conspiracy charge?
    George Dix, a professor at the University of Texas law school who is an expert in criminal law and procedure, said he doesn't believe changes made to the Texas election code by the 2003 legislature have any effect on the conspiracy charge.

The penal code's conspiracy charge allows for the charge if the defendants allegedly conspired to commit any felony, including an election code felony.

Just because the election code was “silent” on the penal code provision until 2003, it doesn't mean it wasn't a valid charge before 2003, Dix said.

“To me it just says, ‘We really mean what we said implicitly before,’” Dix said.
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Update!!! It is not one new charge, it is TWO (2) charges.

Source: Reuters

DeLay indicted on two new charges

AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - A Texas grand jury on Monday indicted U.S. Rep. Tom DeLay on two new charges including money laundering, following a conspiracy indictment last week which forced him to step aside as the second-ranking Republican in the U.S. House of Representatives.

The new indictment, for money laundering and conspiracy to commit money laundering, was issued shortly after DeLay's lawyers sought to dismiss the original charge on a legal technicality.
    DeLay denounced the latest action as an "abomination of justice."

The charges accuse DeLay of conspiring with two colleagues to launder $190,000 in corporate contributions to his Texans for a Republican Majority through the Republican National Committee for distribution to candidates for the Texas Legislature in 2002.

Texas law forbids the use of corporate money in political campaigns.

DeLay could face up to life in prison if convicted of money laundering and up to 20 years for conspiracy to commit money laundering.
    -snip-
    Delay says he was consulting lawyers on every thing they did.

If "The Hammer" survives, the retribution will be terrible. I, for one, will eat buckets of popcorn while the heads roll.
    How is this for lame:

DeLay indicted on money-laundering charge
    Travis prosecutors pursued new charge to fix problem with last week's conspiracy count.

http://www.statesman.com/metrostate/...0/4delay3.html

We need another grand jury to fix the "problem" with last week's charge. NRG, come on. Don't let your hate blind you to this prosecutorial injustice.
  16. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    How is this for lame:

DeLay indicted on money-laundering charge
    Travis prosecutors pursued new charge to fix problem with last week's conspiracy count.

http://www.statesman.com/metrostate/...0/4delay3.html

We need another grand jury to fix the "problem" with last week's charge. NRG, come on. Don't let your hate blind you to this prosecutorial injustice.
    It is not hate 1911, my deal is we have no idea where this going to go. I say let it play out. We both know Delay is no angel, but I have no idea whether he is innocent or guilty, and I will not judge such. I may have an opinion on it but I can't say for sure if it is true. Only time will tell.

An idea here:

Why did Delay's lawyers waive the statue of limitations? Why would any lawyer throw out a perfectly good defense? Why, because if he did not, there was going to be worse to come if he did not, which we see today (Money Laundering & Conspiring to Launder Money). I think Delay cut a deal with Earle for the lesser charge (Conspiracy), then went back on his word. He went back on his word by trying to wiggle out on a technicality. Earle saw this and slapped Delay with the more serious charges. This is just a theory.

Just answer the question, why did Delay's lawyers waive a perfectly valid defense, and you will have your story right there.

And another thing, the person being quoted in the article is Delay's lawyer. Nowhere did it say that the AG's office said they are fixing a broken charge.
    Last edited by NRG; 10/04/2005 at 12:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G
    I can't believe this comes as a surprise to anyone, especially a Texas republican.
    That should read another thieving Texas Republican.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tstright
    That should read another thieving Texas Republican.....
    Didn't I see you outside of Walter Reed last week, shrieking at the amputees?
  19. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Didn't I see you outside of Walter Reed last week, shrieking at the amputees?
    1911 I don't think people are yelling at the amputees. I would think the people are there protesting the closing of WRH.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    1911 I don't think people are yelling at the amputees. I would think the people are there protesting the closing of WRH.
    You would think that, wouldn't you, but that isn't the case.

Every Friday evening Code Pink, etc. holds a "support the troops rally" outside the amputee wing of Walter Reed. Signs like, "Maimed for a Lie" are very much in abundance.

Since these people aren't wild-eyed Christian anti-abortion zealots, you won't see them on the Today Show.

Edited to add: They've recently toned down their signage, apparently finding, at long last, some measure of common human decency.
    Last edited by 1911sforever; 10/04/2005 at 08:34 AM.
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast