Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1.    #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Kewl article about evil Halliburton and what the do in Colorado to improve well yeilds.

Here
    Oilfield services companies are fascinating. The big guys are really technology companies at heart. Not information technology (though they do a lot of that with seismic imaging and stuff) but "old" technology: figuring out the hardest metal, the best tub design, the best fracking fluids, etc. Go to the Offshore Technology Conference in Houston sometime. It's amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    ... Go to the Offshore Technology Conference in Houston sometime. It's amazing.
    ummm...NO!
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  3.    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    ummm...NO!
    If you like Treos, you like gadgets. There are some really cool gadgets there!
    Go to the Offshore Technology Conference in Houston sometime. It's amazing.
    Go to the AVN Expo in Las Vegas sometime. Now THAT is truly amazing!!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    If you like Treos, you like gadgets. There are some really cool gadgets there!
    Kewl Offshore Technology gadgets...no thanx
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Update

Source: WaPo

Tyco Exec: Abramoff Claimed Ties to Administration

By R. Jeffrey Smith
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, September 23, 2005; Page A06

Republican lobbyist Jack Abramoff bragged two years ago that he was in contact with White House political aide Karl Rove on behalf of a large, Bermuda-based corporation that wanted to avoid incurring some taxes and continue receiving federal contracts, according to a written statement by President Bush's nominee to be deputy attorney general.

Timothy E. Flanigan, general counsel for conglomerate Tyco International Ltd., said in a statement to the Senate Judiciary Committee last week that Abramoff's lobbying firm initially boasted that Abramoff could help Tyco fend off a special liability tax because he "had good relationships with members of Congress," including House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Tex.).

Abramoff later said "he had contact with Mr. Karl Rove" about the issue, according to the statement by Flanigan, who oversaw Tyco's dealings with Abramoff and his firm and received reports from Abramoff about progress in the lobbying campaign. Flanigan's statement is the latest indication that Abramoff promoted himself as having ready access to senior officials in the Bush administration.

-snip-
    and a relaed story. Just a little background, this "ex" Bush Official resigned just in time before being arrested. How nice that most of the media can refer to him as an ex-official now.

Source: WaPo

Bush Official Arrested in Corruption Probe

By R. Jeffrey Smith and Susan Schmidt
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Tuesday, September 20, 2005; Page A01

The Bush administration's top federal procurement official resigned Friday and was arrested yesterday, accused of lying and obstructing a criminal investigation into Republican lobbyist Jack Abramoff's dealings with the federal government. It was the first criminal complaint filed against a government official in the ongoing corruption probe related to Abramoff's activities in Washington.

The complaint, filed by the FBI, alleges that David H. Safavian, 38, a White House procurement official involved until last week in Hurricane Katrina relief efforts, made repeated false statements to government officials and investigators about a golf trip with Abramoff to Scotland in 2002.

-snip-

It also contends that he concealed his efforts to help Abramoff acquire control of two federally managed properties in the Washington area. Abramoff is the person identified as "Lobbyist A" in a 13-page affidavit unsealed in court, according to sources knowledgeable about the probe.

Until his resignation on the day the criminal complaint against him was signed, Safavian was the top administrator at the federal procurement office in the White House Office of Management and Budget, where he set purchasing policy for the entire government.

-snip

Abramoff was indicted by federal prosecutors in Miami last month on unrelated charges of wire fraud and conspiracy. He remains the linchpin of an 18-month probe by a federal task force that includes the Internal Revenue Service, the Interior Department and the Justice Department's fraud and public integrity units. His lawyer did not respond to phone calls seeking comment.

-snip-

At the time of the golf trip, Safavian was chief of staff at the General Services Administration, where ethics rules flatly prohibited the receipt of a gift from any person seeking an official action by the agency. When Safavian asked GSA ethics officers for permission to go on the trip, he assured them in writing that Abramoff "has no business before GSA," according to the affidavit signed by FBI special agent Jeffrey A. Reising.

-snip-
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Bam Tom Delay indicted!!
    Yes. Just like Kay Bailey Hutchinson was indicted by Ronnie Earle.

We'll see. I think this man's greatest offense was being so effective in destroying Democrats.
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    Yes. Just like Kay Bailey Hutchinson was indicted by Ronnie Earle.

We'll see. I think this man's greatest offense was being so effective in destroying Democrats.

I like how you got the past tense in there. was
    Last edited by NRG; 09/28/2005 at 12:05 PM.
    getting the BUGKILLER indicted is a good start -- Frist is perhaps next -- Karl Rove, junior -- perhaps the entire West Wing can be frog marched in plastic handcuffs to paddy wagons.

(one has to have a dream ...)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    http://media.nationalreview.com/077804.asp

Another viewpoint.

DeLay Indictment

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Tom DeLay, for reasons that have entirely to do with the expansion of entitlement spending under his watch (see Bruce Bartlett's excellent piece on NRO today for details). But having said that, this indictment is totally phony. Here's why:

The indictment centers around a money swap that took place between the Texans for a Republican Majority PAC (TRMPAC), to which DeLay has ties, and the Republican National State Elections Committee (RNSEC). TRMPAC sent $190,000 to RNSEC, and RNSEC then sent the same total amount in seven checks ranging from $20,000 to $40,000 to Texas House candidates in 2002. Travis County DA Ronnie Earle, a Democrat, calls this money laundering, because the money that TRMPAC sent to RNSEC came from coporations, which are barred from contributing to campaigns in Texas.

What you won't hear in the press is that A) This is a perfectly legal move, and B) the Democrats did the exact same thing. An Institute on Money in State Politics study reveals that on Oct. 31, 2002, the Texas Democratic Party did the same thing when it sent $75,000 to the Democratic National Committee (DNC) and received $75,000 back from the DNC the very same day.

Here's what I wrote about this case last summer:

Just to put this $190,000 deal into perspective and demonstrate the petty, vindictive nature of this partisan investigation, the study also reveals that Democrats transferred a total of approximately $11 million dollars in soft money from its national parties to fund Texas campaigns in 2002, compared to $5.2 million transferred by Republicans.
    I've been watching TV all day and no one has provided this context. I'll keep watching to see if the coverage gets more than fingernail-deep.

Bottom line: Even people who aren't fans of Tom DeLay should show some intellectual honesty and admit that this is an out-of-control prosecutor and a phony charge.
    Last edited by 1911sforever; 09/28/2005 at 04:03 PM.
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Watch out for the "Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy" LOL

Source: Bloomberg

DeLay Says Texas Criminal Indictment Is `Political Retribution'

Sept. 28 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. Representative Tom DeLay, the No. 2 Republican in the House, said the criminal conspiracy indictment handed down by a Texas grand jury is part of a ``coordinated premeditated campaign of political retribution.''

The indictment is ``blatant political partisanship,'' DeLay said today at a news conference in Washington. It is the ``weakest indictment in U.S. history,'' he said.

DeLay was indicted by a Texas grand jury on a single count of criminal conspiracy. He could face up to two years in prison as a result of the charges, which stemmed from an investigation into the alleged use of illegal corporate contributions by DeLay's political action committee, Texans for a Republican Majority, in the 2002 races for the state House of Representatives.

DeLay said that Ronnie Earle, the Travis County district attorney who is leading the investigation, is `a partisan zealot'' and ``is using his office for personal revenge.''

-snip-
    Last edited by NRG; 09/28/2005 at 04:29 PM.
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    It does show, I think, cause I have not read the whole "Followthemoney.org" article, but there does seem be such "trading" of cash within the two partys including Democrats. Here I would like to draw a distinction, this is NOT the same thing as what Tom Delay is charged with. Delay is charged with accepting "corporate" monies. That point gets lost in the smoke screen of trading Soft Money for Hard Money. Cause those two partys trade out all the time for cash which is legal, as far as I know. The charge Delay seems to be getting is conspring/circumventing to accept corporate money. Not the same as trading soft for hard cash. Nice
    by the author of the article though.
    Last edited by NRG; 09/28/2005 at 04:14 PM. Reason: To add my new shiny Spin symbol :)
    http://corner.nationalreview.com/05_...ive.asp#077818

F Lee Levin's comments on the "corporate contribution" angle.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    "Bam Tom Delay indicted!"

- NRG

actually, no. he's not indicted. he's listed as a defendant.

he stepped down NOT because he's guilty, but because of GOP rules during such a situation.

if delay is guilty, slam him - hold him to the fullest extent of the law. but he's not guilty yet.

democrats are, once again, just using this for political agenda and taking part in politics of political destruction again. what's new? really?

I could see the dems stance against delay if he's found guilty, but the case isn't proven yet.

what if bush had gone after sandy berger with all guns loaded the way they're going after delay now? republicans arent streetfighters the way the dems are. that much is plainly obvious.
    by the way, barney frank lecturing on morality was precious.

point is, until delay is ACTUALLY proven guilty, all this other media nonsense is merely political agenda, nothing more, nothing less.

same old crap..
    Last edited by vw2002; 09/28/2005 at 07:41 PM.
  16. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    "Bam Tom Delay indicted!"

- NRG

actually, no. he's not indicted. he's listed as a defendant.

he stepped down NOT because he's guilty, but because of GOP rules during such a situation.

if delay is guilty, slam him - hold him to the fullest extent of the law. but he's not guilty yet.

democrats are, once again, just using this for political agenda and taking part in politics of political destruction again. what's new? really?

I could see the dems stance against delay if he's found guilty, but the case isn't proven yet.

what if bush had gone after sandy berger with all guns loaded the way they're going after delay now? republicans arent streetfighters the way the dems are. that much is plainly obvious.
    by the way, barney frank lecturing on morality was precious.

point is, until delay is ACTUALLY proven guilty, all this other media nonsense is merely political agenda, nothing more, nothing less.

same old crap..
    So what you are saying is a Grand Jucy did not indict him?

Source: Merriam-Webster

Main Entry: inĚdict
    Pronunciation: in-'dIt
    Function: transitive verb
    Etymology: alteration of earlier indite, from Middle English inditen, from Anglo-French enditer, from Old French, to write down -- more at INDITE
    1 : to charge with a fault or offense : CRITICIZE, ACCUSE
    2 : to charge with a crime by the finding or presentment of a jury (as a grand jury) in due form of law
    - inĚdictĚer or inĚdictĚor /-'dI-t&r/ noun
    I also knew about the rule for him stepping down, it is the same rule they (GOP) changed to protect delay.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    cite from the official case documents where he is officially listed as indicted, rather than listed as a defendant in the case, nrg.
    I'm quite sure I understand the definition of the word, "indict".
    I gotta have more cowbell
  18. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    cite from the official case documents where he is officially listed as indicted, rather than listed as a defendant in the case, nrg.
    I'm quite sure I understand the definition of the word, "indict".
    Next stop for Delay, fingerprinting and to have his mug shot taken.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I stand corrected. it IS indictment according to news reports. I had heard on the way home from work today on the radio that he wasn't listed on the list of those indicted yet. an inaccurate news source.
    in any case, if delay, is indeed found guilty, than he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Perhaps I stand with the minority - I don't think Tom Delay has anything to worry about. Set aside anything else we may have problems with... there's just no evidence supporting the indictment (if there was, it would be much more than a conspiracy charge).

Lets couple this with the fact that a DA in Texas has the best chance of getting the grand jury to indict if he's of the same policital stand (D, that is in this case). Grand Jurors are hand-picked there. Funny, though, the DA didn't get it the first go rounds. Go figure.

Tom will be aquitted, and it will go back to business as usual.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast