Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 266
  1. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #201  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Of course. It's also why there's such a thing as recusal. Conflicts inevitably come up. This judge should not be presiding over a political opposite in an obviously political case. Dirt it may be... but the objection seems justified to me.

    Donations to a candidate don't bother me... the MoveOn.org donation does. They're kinda out there.
    Then what happens when the next judge that is assigned to the case is another Dem? Then after that, then after that, then after that? I guess is what I am trying to say here is there are going to be arguments over it no matter how you slice it.
  2. #202  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Then what happens when the next judge that is assigned to the case is another Dem? Then after that, then after that, then after that? I guess is what I am trying to say here is there are going to be arguments over it no matter how you slice it.
    Agreed. For me however, it would make a difference whether the judge is a Democrat or a flaming partisan Democrat. Giving to MoveOn.org is de facto evidence of the later.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  3. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #203  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Agreed. For me however, it would make a difference whether the judge is a Democrat or a flaming partisan Democrat. Giving to MoveOn.org is de facto evidence of the later.
    You mean like Delay's lawyer?

    He has given more to Dems, than the judge has.

    http://www.newsmeat.com/judiciary_po...k_Deguerin.php
  4. #204  
    You mean like Delay's lawyer?

    He has given more to Dems, than the judge has
    He's a defense lawyer - not the judge. Slight difference there.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  5. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #205  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    He's a defense lawyer - not the judge. Slight difference there.
    Well, how come the defense lawyer can put aside his politics and the judge can't?
  6. #206  
    Well, how come the defense lawyer can put aside his politics and the judge can't?
    A defense lawyer is not asked to put aside his politics or to be an impartial arbitrator - he is an advocate for his client. If Delay feels his lawyer is not a good advocate, he can fire him.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  7. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #207  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    A defense lawyer is not asked to put aside his politics or to be an impartial arbitrator - he is an advocate for his client. If Delay feels his lawyer is not a good advocate, he can fire him.
    So again how come the lawyer can put it aside for his client, but the judge who has sworn to uphold the law can't?
  8. #208  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    So again how come the lawyer can put it aside for his client, but the judge who has sworn to uphold the law can't?
    I'm sorry, but your argument here is silly. A judge can't preside over a case where he's friends with the plaintiff or defendant right? Why not? Because hiis bias is presumed. Same here given the nature of MoveOn.org.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  9. #209  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    I'm sorry, but your argument here is silly. A judge can't preside over a case where he's friends with the plaintiff or defendant right? Why not? Because hiis bias is presumed. Same here given the nature of MoveOn.org.
    the most delicious irony of this whole series of affairs is the sound of righties in general, and the BUGKILLER particulary, whining about biased political persecutions, and unfair judges who are affiliated with their opponents.

    This coming from a swine who pushed the persecution/impeachment of Bill Clinton.

    This from a group that languished in the cesspool of filth that was ken starr -- the most biased politically warped persecutor since the pope went after Galileo. It was fine that they went after Bill because of they didn't approve of his definition of sex.

    This from the same slimey chorus who cheered when Martha went to the slammer not for insider trading -- but because she misled the investigators.

    I love the squeal of big pigs getting metaphorially slaughtered -- its music to my ears ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  10. #210  
    Barye -- If they are guilty they should pay. Being a Dem does not give a free pass to commit perjury and being a Rep does not make it okay to launder money. If a crime is found to have been committed there should be an investigation and a trial.

    You say that because Clinton committed perjury as the commander and chief that he was persecuted without any just cause or reason or simply on a whim with no justification in the least.

    You are Clintonized, Liberalized, Leftize, and so obviously biased to the point that if someone is a Rep they are simply guilty of any claim made by a dem because they hold a Rep card in their wallet. But any charge against a Dem is persecution, a political witch hunt, and right wing conspiracy to bring evangelical bliss to every American whether they want it or not.

    Simple and straight to the point. If someone committed a crime, they should be investigated, brought to trail, and, if found guilty, convicted.........No Matter If They Are Dem, Rep, Green Party, Communist, or Independent...a Dem President or a Rep Majority Leader.....but this seems to be a basic ideology that seems to escape you time and again.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 10/25/2005 at 08:36 PM.
  11. #211  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    the most delicious irony of this whole series of affairs is the sound of righties in general, and the BUGKILLER particulary, whining about biased political persecutions, and unfair judges who are affiliated with their opponents.

    This coming from a swine who pushed the persecution/impeachment of Bill Clinton.

    This from a group that languished in the cesspool of filth that was ken starr -- the most biased politically warped persecutor since the pope went after Galileo. It was fine that they went after Bill because of they didn't approve of his definition of sex.

    This from the same slimey chorus who cheered when Martha went to the slammer not for insider trading -- but because she misled the investigators.

    I love the squeal of big pigs getting metaphorially slaughtered -- its music to my ears ...
    Ken Starr was not the judge in the Clinton case.

    I don't object to the obviously biased prosecutor in the Delay case - the prosecutor is always biased - he must think the defendant is guilty, otherwise why prosecute???
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  12. #212  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Ken Starr was not the judge in the Clinton case.

    I don't object to the obviously biased prosecutor in the Delay case - the prosecutor is always biased - he must think the defendant is guilty, otherwise why prosecute???

    by your definition the "judge" for Clinton was the republican controled congress ---

    (starr was apppointed btw by a rightwing judge who did not like the fact that the previous special prosecutor had found nothing to prosecute...)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  13. #213  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    by your definition the "judge" for Clinton was the republican controled congress ---

    (starr was apppointed btw by a rightwing judge who did not like the fact that the previous special prosecutor had found nothing to prosecute...)
    Yes. Impeachment is a constitutionally unique process - not subject to all the protections inherent in the criminal justice system. Tom Delay is being criminally prosecuted. His freedom is potentially at stake. Surely a liberal wouldn't suggest that a criminal defendant not be allowed all the protections our system allows???
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  14. #214  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    starr was apppointed btw by a rightwing judge who did not like the fact that the previous special prosecutor had found nothing to prosecute...
    So...do you have a a concern with Ronnie Earle shopping around with 3 grand juries to get the indictment he wanted?

    In spite of trying to draw conclusions from comparing the empeachment process with a criminal process, it is all built into (or abused in spite of) the sytem.
  15. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #215  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Then what happens when the next judge that is assigned to the case is another Dem? Then after that, then after that, then after that? I guess is what I am trying to say here is there are going to be arguments over it no matter how you slice it.
    Fruition?

    Source: Yahoo!

    Democrat to Decide DeLay's Trial Motion

    AUSTIN, Texas - The decision on who will preside over former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay's criminal case will be up to a retired state judge with a reputation as a nonpolitical mediator.

    Bell County Senior Judge C.W. Duncan, 81, was selected to consider DeLay's request that state district Judge Bob Perkins not oversee his trial on conspiracy and money laundering charges.
    -snip-

    Perkins has contributed money to candidates and Democratic causes that oppose DeLay.

    Duncan, also a Democrat, scheduled a Nov. 1 hearing for arguments on DeLay's motion.

    Duncan, appointed to the bench in 1978 by Democratic Gov. Dolph Briscoe and elected in 1980 and again in 1984, is low-key about his politics, say friends and colleagues.

    "He's not driven by politics and personality," said longtime Bell County District Attorney Cappy Eads. "I had Judge Duncan rule for me and rule against me both many times. Even in disagreement, I always felt that he was guided by his interpretation of the law and what he felt was the right thing to do."

    -snip-
  16. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #216  
    Well looks like a new judge in the case.

    http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/11/01/D8DJT11G1.html

    Judge Removed From DeLay's Criminal Case
  17. #217  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Well looks like a new judge in the case.

    http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/11/01/D8DJT11G1.html

    Judge Removed From DeLay's Criminal Case

    regretably he will walk --
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  18. #218  
    An innocent man walking...terrible result!
  19. #219  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    An innocent man walking...terrible result!

    you're talking about jail ???

    no no no -- I just was offering my sympathy for poor 'ol Tom The BUGKILLER -- I'm guessing that he can't hardly afford to gas up his Limo no more ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  20. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #220  
    This is the sh** I was referring to earlier in this thread.

    Source: Yahoo!

    Second Judge Out for DeLay Trial

    AUSTIN, Texas - Two days after U.S. Rep. Tom DeLay won a fight to get a new judge in his case, prosecutors on Thursday succeeded in ousting the Republican jurist responsible for selecting the new judge.

    Administrative Judge B.B. Schraub recused himself after District Attorney Ronnie Earle filed a motion asking for his removal from the case.
    ....
    Earle said in his motion filed Thursday that Schraub has made more than $5,000 in contributions to Republican candidates, including to Gov. Rick Perry, a DeLay ally, which calls into question Schraub's impartiality in the case.

    Prosecutors had asked for Schraub to recuse himself or appoint another judge to take his place. The motion said that Schraub could ask Perry to appoint the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals to assign a judge to conduct a hearing on the motion.

    -snip-

Posting Permissions