Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    [B]Again, false economics -- unless you're original intention is to buy a PDA as an MP3 player, which isn't true for most of us. Here's a test: make a note of the next 10 times you see someone in public using a PDA. How many of those 10 were using their PDAs to listen to MP3?[/i][/i]
    Once again we agree on something. That was my point exactly. For someone who wants multimedia capabilities when buying a PDA, I think you would agree that the Visor is a poor value. But you are absolutely correct that for those who don't want those features, both the Visor + MP module, and the Pocket PC are terrible. I to am a strong advocate of not paying for what you don't intend to use. Your just throwing your money away.

Rumor has it that the Diamond Rio's not much of a PDA.
    I wasn't referring to the use of the RIO as a PDA. I was merely stating the fact that you would actually be saving money by purchasing a Visor + Diamond Rio rather than a Springboard module. The last time I checked you can buy a Rio 500 for around $140. With the MiniJam costing around $200 and the Soundsbad, err good, costing over $270, I don't think I could recommend buying either product as an MP3 player.
    foo you only compare what you want to justify your argument.
    you compare 8 meg mod to a 8 meg CF crd. Why not compared it to a 64 meg MMC to CF
    it's about $10 difference in price.
    so lets get real about it. now it comes down to this do you wana save $10 and carry a HUGE CF crd or pay $10 to lose an MMC crd. The consumer will vote with there $$$.

As far as you value for Dollar. I would never want to watch a movie on a tiny little PPC screen. i'll prefer to get a labtop with a 15inch screen if i'm on the road with a DVD player.

humm PPC is't gona deliver that kinda value now is it? Or are you gona tell me to rip a DVD movie onto a 4gig CF crd and watch it on that tiny screen. humm not to mention the cost of a 4gig CF crd if they every make one.(do they? cuz that would be kewl)

Originally posted by piloteer
    foo you only compare what you want to justify your argument.
    you compare 8 meg mod to a 8 meg CF crd. Why not compared it to a 64 meg MMC to CF
    it's about $10 difference in price.
    so lets get real about it. now it comes down to this do you wana save $10 and carry a HUGE CF crd or pay $10 to lose an MMC crd. The consumer will vote with there $$$.
    Never the less, I still have a valid point. The cost of Handspring's Flash module still remians too high in cost, as do all current modules being developed by them as well as third party vendors. I distinctly remember Jeff mention, a year ago when the Visor was first announced, that most modules being developed (i.e., MP3 players, wireless modems, etc.) would be priced at around $100. It turns out that MP3 players are ballooning well beyond the actual list price of the Visor itself. Money is money no matter how you divvy it up.

As far as you value for Dollar. I would never want to watch a movie on a tiny little PPC screen. I'll prefer to get a laptop with a 15inch screen if i'm on the road with a DVD player.
    I agree with you 100%. In fact I have been saying this myself for some time. It just isn't practical to watch 3 minute movie trailers on a handheld. I believe that the most plausible use of mobile video would be through the use of streaming. The idea of watching streaming video over a wireless device does have at least some merit. Packet Video is doing some interesting work, and I believe Firepad for the Palm will also incorporate some streaming features. Now if Palm and Handspring can work out a good wireless solution (the Palm VII is a joke!), then we may have something.

humm PPC isn't gona deliver that kinda value now is it?
    Nope. Pocket PCs are really not such a great value. Most of the devices are selling at or near the $500 mark, which is simply too high for mainstream consumers. For example, Casio just launched a new line of PPCs (the E-500 series) that come in colorful stylish cases, targeted at kids. Nice idea, but there is just one serious, and perhaps fatal, flaw. At a price of $500, what teenager will be able to afford such a lavish device? Kids with that kind of money would be more inclined to save it for a much more useful purpose like College, or even as a down payment for a new car. These guys just don't get it! The real growth in margins is occurring at the low-end, not the high-end. One reason why the Visor, and the entry level Palm's have been so successful, is that they are priced at more level that public is more willing to accept. Sure Pocket PCs are impressive and offer nice features, but when people find out the price, they fall over in a dead faint.

I, like Gameboy, am also waiting for at least one Pocket PC vendor to drop out of this race. There are simply too many OEMs building similar devices at a similar price point for a narrow market share. The Palm V is a successful product, but that is because it has no comparable opponent to share the market with. Now that Sony has launched the Clie, and HS will be deploying their own high-end Palm V wannabe in the near future, the air is going to get pretty tight in here. My hope is that this glut of expensive handhelds will drive prices down. I wouldn't pay $400 for Clie, but at $325, I may bite. Same goes for Palm. What really pisses me off is that with each new entrant, no one is trying to undercut the other. They all simply market their products at the same levels. After more than a year since the Visor's release, I would have expected Palm and HS to attempt a little price war. The Visor and Palm IIIxe would be better suited at the $199 range. That's my opinion anyway.

What do you think?
    Palm can hardly keep units on store shelves because everybody's buying them up like crazy. I think that when HS introduced the Visor with 8MB for the same price as a Palm III with 4MB they did start a price war. Maybe not a war, but it was enough to make Palm sit up and take notice and drop the price to compete with the new boy on the block. And the Visor did it with a bonus--Springboard. So why not have a little extra for that same price as the market leader? (Seems what Sony is doing with their Clié.)

In the end, it seems Handspring established that $249 is well "suited" as people are buying more than ever. More people would buy at $199 than at $249 but if these people are willing to pay the higher price I don't really see any reason for either company to do so.
    wow, is it just me or are many threads starting to sound the same??

wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12