Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Interesting thread.

I loved this quote in one of DA's posts from someone at the aclu.

""We recognize the right of a country to defend its borders," said Eleanor Eisenberg, Executive Director of the ACLU of Arizona, "but it must be done by the proper authorities and in a humane way."

Yes lets treat those entering our country illegally, maybe even as invaders as humanely as possible.
    I'm sure the immigrant felt intimidated.

And BY NO MEANS take my opinion on this to be "leave the poor illegals alone." QUITE the contrary. The Southern border is the biggest security threat we have, but it will stay that way until we're ready to pay a fair wage to these people and create a seasonal work-visa category.

I also don't like to see armed bands taking up law enfocement on their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Interesting thread.

I loved this quote in one of DA's posts from someone at the aclu.

""We recognize the right of a country to defend its borders," said Eleanor Eisenberg, Executive Director of the ACLU of Arizona, "but it must be done by the proper authorities and in a humane way."

Yes lets treat those entering our country illegally, maybe even as invaders as humanely as possible.
    Woof: are you advocating that we shouldnt treat people in a humane way who are crossing the border illegally ?

Remember this same type of argument came up when the President was debating how to 'label' enemy combatants. I think the same argument that was credited to Colin Powell should be applied here as well.

We should treat people who commit crimes in this country with as much humanity that we would want if one our citizens who commits a crime in that country. The appellate courts have already held that, at least in death penalty cases, citizens from other countries should be given some basic rights (i.e. to contact their consulate).
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123