Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    I could debate you but I have a party to plan and you seem to have a bone to chew. Have a good day!

Sorry, have a good time. I love all of your posts here at TC, I have very strong feelings about human responsibilty towards animals and especially dogs.

I apologize for calling you a "threadcrapper". Perhaps another thread on dog behavior would be better and we can get back to going gagga over cute pets.

take care

Phil
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    I could debate you but I have a party to plan and you seem to have a bone to chew. Have a good day!
    You could debate that my dog is not a pet?

Please,please,please,please people...do some research. I actually know what I am talking about, do you?
    1 | 2
    My wife had a pit bull a few years back. Her name was Daisy. Sweetest dog I'd ever met. Wouldnt hurt a fly.

One must remember that ALL dogs are descendent of domesticated wolves and therefore are potential killers.

I have trained numerous breeds in my life and they all will bite or attack if it is warranted. My mom's 4lb Yorkie is ferociously protective of my mom. She may be small but you could lose a finger. I guess she should be put down?

I have a 130lb retriever/lab/shepherd that is the sweetest thing in the world. My 2yr old son has crawled on, riden and slept next to her since he was 4 months old. No I dont mean he was crawling at 4 mos. She barely raises her head when he pulls her lips up over her nose.

This dog will on the other hand take your arm off if you dont belong in our yard. She will not hesitate to hurt you if you need it. Guess we should put her down?

Pit Bulls are no different than any other dog. Well maybe a little. Their jaws are so strong they dont need teeth to crush bone, but then my retreiver mix can too. They are loyal, strong and very loving pets, and will die to protect their owners. Just like most other breeds.

Dogs however are a product of their environment as much if not more so than of breeding. Sure dogs can be bred to be agressive, but that isnt the rule. I could turn virtually any breed into an agressive danger to people. It's really very simple.

Thing about PBs is they appeal to many folks because of their power. They look mean because of the shape of their head and jaw configuration. When angered they look meaner than a Doberman any day. Rottweilers and Mastiffs are about the only other breed that compares IMO on possessing dangerous looks. That being the case, those folks that feel inadequate on their own need some sort of power dog to compensate for their perceived shortcomings. You will see alot of young men owning PBs because they lack the self confidence to own a poodle, and frankly tough dogs are cool. Or at least that is what these insecure young men think. Having a mean dog that needs a spiked collar and will growl at anything that moves AND looks menacing naturally is all that to some people.

Lets look at this from another POV for a second. Most mental health behaviorists will tell us that physical/mental/emotional abuse in a family is passed from generation to generation. Why? because people become what they live. Logic says dogs are similar. You can make any dog mean regardless of breed and and any breed can be docile and sweet.

Having bred several breeds for a business, I have seen plenty. Take it for what you will though.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    Ooooh really, a book written by a PHd. Well then that must be the definitive source for everything about Pit Bulls. You're absolutely right, the ignorance to the latent aggressive tendencies in Pit Bulls is amazing.
    I am going to assume that my history as a dog breeder is even less impressive because I dont have a PhD, even though I have real world experience with many different breeds.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    So generations of litters from trained fighting dogs can be turned around by simply taking the next litter and raising in a home full of love and kids??
    and if your Mom's Yorkie bit someone's finger off she should be put down. If your Lab/Shepherd mix was in YOUR yard protecting you from harm, no, it should not be put down.
  7.    #47  
    So generations of litters from trained fighting dogs can be turned around by simply taking the next litter and raising in a home full of love and kids??
    exactly

Do you really think it's in their genetic makeup to want to bite someone? You prove over and over again you aren't well versed when it comes to dogs.
    1 | 2
    So generations of kids raised in abusive homes can be turned around by taking the next child and raising it in a home full of love? Well Duh! Happens all the time.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    and if your Mom's Yorkie bit someone's finger off she should be put down. If your Lab/Shepherd mix was in YOUR yard protecting you from harm, no, it should not be put down.
    If that someone was threatening or hurting the yorkie and she is defending herself do we still put her down?
    — Ed Howdershelt
    For that matter I can take a vicious dog and turn it into a loving good natured pet by putting it into a home with love and kids.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    MFizzel, you pooch is cute.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    MFizzel, you pooch is cute.
    what about mine
    I think he looks distinguished. and I'd guess he has a sense of humor. I like the MTDN pic better by the way.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Ha...hardly distinguished. thanks, though! He's a HUGE goofball!! Did you see the ones I posted earlier in the thread?
    My three year old wants to know "where are my doggies?" When did the nice doggie picture thread turn into a pitbull debate??? ALL the dogs, so far, are adorable! Can we see some more pics and less bickering?

By the way, our English Bulldog is strong as h***, ancestors bred to control Bulls. Loves my 3-year old and 8-month old. We would never leave them alone and unattended, though. He would give his life for all my kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFizzel
    exactly

Do you really think it's in their genetic makeup to want to bite someone? You prove over and over again you aren't well versed when it comes to dogs.
    talk about not being well-versed....this is unbelievable.
    So generations of kids raised in abusive homes can be turned around by taking the next child and raising it in a home full of love? Well Duh! Happens all the time.
    well duh, "all the time" isn't EVERY time.
    For that matter I can take a vicious dog and turn it into a loving good natured pet by putting it into a home with love and kids.
    you would actually do that? Look at what you just said. Put a vicious dog in a home with kids. Exactly how long (and how many incidents) until you "turn it around"? Unreal
    ttrundle....please do not post off the topic of this thread anymore. Start another thread for this discussion.

thanks!

I just had to read this again.....and you were the dog breeder. Breeder's are obviously not behavorial experts.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast