Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    "LOS ANGELES -- Johnnie L. Cochran Jr., who became a legal superstar after helping clear O.J. Simpson during a sensational murder trial in which he uttered the famous quote "If it doesn't fit, you must acquit," died Tuesday. He was 67.

Cochran died of a brain disorder in Los Angeles, said law partner Randy McMurray."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2005Mar29.html
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    He was a colorful guy.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    He created a huge firm, helping a lot of people. Depending on how you viewed the O.J. verdict, I hope he doesnt get remembered just for that. He was so much more.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    He created a huge firm, helping a lot of people. Depending on how you viewed the O.J. verdict, I hope he doesnt get remembered just for that. He was so much more.

My first thought after hearing of his death was exactly the same -- good attorney, good citizen, and yet most people will remember him not for the work he's done, but his most infamous client.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    Cochran died of a brain disorder
    Who knew?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzi
    most people will remember him not for the work he's done, but his most infamous client.
    Guess I was first
  7.    #7  
    The notoriuos OJ trial will undoubtly be what he is most remembered for by most. Although F. Lee Bailey Jr. defended infamous characters too in his rise to prominance, I think he was forgiven or folks just forgot. That won't happen in the OJ "case" in our time.

Being a lawyer is like any other profession when it comes down to it. Although the OJ situation still leaves me uneasy, I guess Mr. Cocoran just did what he was paid to do.

RIP

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I guess Mr. Cocoran just did what he was paid to do.

RIP
    True... but don't forget that he chose to do it and being paid was just compensation for his choice.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    True... but don't forget that he chose to do it and being paid was just compensation for his choice.
    Yep and it is still controversal to this very day.

I don't think it was a 'bad' choice per se to defend O.J. because everyone deserves the best defense that you can afford (or have appointed) [I know...dont get me started on how bad it is for the poor to get equal justice].

Just try to imagine if it was your father that was brought up on the same charges and you believed he didnt do it...you would want the best you could get.

Arguably, Cochran was the best 'high profile' defense attorney of our time (plus he benefitted from all the publicity that the trial gave to him).

I just didnt think he was that old, I thought he was in his 50's (he carried his age very well).
    Last edited by t2gungho; 03/29/2005 at 11:45 PM.
    Yep and it is still controversal to this very day.
    Yes it is. I am glad that the general public doesn't acquit so frivolously
    "LOS ANGELES -- Johnnie L. Cochran Jr., who became a legal superstar after helping clear O.J. Simpson during a sensational murder trial in which he uttered the famous quote "If it doesn't fit, you must acquit," died Tuesday. He was 67.

Cochran died of a brain disorder in Los Angeles, said law partner Randy McMurray."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2005Mar29.html
    Reported, brain tumor.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Reported, brain tumor.
    Thats what I heard too.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg

Hmm, so garbage collectors perform their jobs by choice, and if they get paid, even better!
    I am sure there is a special place in hell for Mr. Cochran....
    Quote Originally Posted by gobigblue
    I am sure there is a special place in hell for Mr. Cochran....
    Explain? I am assuming because he got O.J. acquitted or is it something else
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzi
    Hmm, so garbage collectors perform their jobs by choice, and if they get paid, even better!
    YES garbage collectors do choose thier jobs. (WTF?) Do you think some neo-nazi dictator randomly rounds people up and then appoints them to be in charge of collecting garbage from now until further notice???

A Lawyer in his position is free to pick and choose whether he takes a case or not!
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I don't think it was a 'bad' choice per se to defend O.J. because everyone deserves the best defense that you can afford (or have appointed) [I know...dont get me started on how bad it is for the poor to get equal justice].
    My business partner is a Defense Atty. The things that go on behind the scenes of court cases are about pure compitition. Both the Prosecution & Defense will do almost anything to win. Their careers are based on their winning % not how morale they are. Their are tricks pulled on both sides to try to win, so don't dislike someone for being the best at what they do.

I just didnt think he was that old, I thought he was in his 50's (he carried his age very well).
    I thought the same thing. Surprised me.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    Their careers are based on their winning % not how morale they are.
    Sounds very similiar to Con artists, serial killers, etc...

Not a good argument if you were trying to defend Lawyers.
    Hence the term 'Zealous Advocate'. There are rules in the legal field and I think its great that attorneys can think outside the box (without breaking the rules) to make their case. This is how many new legal d<
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast