Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepdiver
    Close enough?
    YES!!!

Man that is great. Just what I needed. Thanks so much.

Thanks to evreyone for their contributions and help, even you Dutch.

Man that look so sweet. Easily excitied aren't I?

Just realized this is post number 2000 for me. Wow.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Yes, did I do good?
    ofcourse you did .. i can always get a good laugh from tc when the day is dragging and you did it today..
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by donric609
    ofcourse you did .. i can always get a good laugh from tc when the day is dragging and you did it today..
    Glad to help. Oddly enough, I was working on some photos from today in Photoshop when I read your post. Doing your edit took about a minute. Since you own the app:
    Open the frame gif, increase the canvas size 150% so it'll hold the raw mountain scene. Set the file mode to RGB. Open the mountain scene (both files now open). Type ctrl-A, ctrl-C in the mountain file. That selects the whole file and copies it. Click on the frame gif. Type ctrl-V to paste; it'll come in on a new layer. Type ctrl-T (free transform) and, while holding down shift key to keep the aspect ratio, drag a corner to get it to the right size. Now select the frame layer and make a selection the size of the open window. Click on the mountain scene layer. Go to the layers menu, add a layer mask with the "reveal selection" option. Position to taste. Back to the layers menu, flatten image. Crop back to desired size. Save as gif.

Huh. Sounds complicated. I swear, with a little bit of practice, it isn't. It took me longer to type this than it did to do the operation. Photoshop is a heckuva tool but it does take some getting used to. I'm still learning every time I use it.

Dutch - truth be told, I like your version best.

Edit - left out a small but critical step.
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Close enough?
    How did you get it to accept a color image?

Edit: Nevermind jeep answered above.
  6.    #26  
    Glad to help. Oddly enough, I was working on some photos from today in Photoshop when I read your post. Doing your edit took about a minute. Since you own the app:
    Open the frame gif, increase the canvas size 150% so it'll hold the raw mountain scene. Set the file mode to RGB. Open the mountain scene (both files now open). Type ctrl-A, ctrl-C in the mountain file. That selects the whole file and copies it. Click on the frame gif. Type ctrl-V to paste; it'll come in on a new layer. Type ctrl-T (free transform) and, while holding down shift key to keep the aspect ratio, drag a corner to get it to the right size. Now select the frame layer and make a selection the size of the open window. Click on the mountain scene layer. Go to the layers menu, add a layer mask with the "reveal selection" option. Position to taste. Back to the layers menu, flatten image. Crop back to desired size. Save as gif.

Huh. Sounds complicated. I swear, with a little bit of practice, it isn't. It took me longer to type this than it did to do the operation. Photoshop is a heckuva tool but it does take some getting used to. I'm still learning every time I use it.

Dutch - truth be told, I like your version best.

Edit - left out a small but critical step.

Thanks jeep. Printing this out and will practice. It's a great tool but learning it on your own can be daunting. I should take a class.

I like Dutch's version too, but it makes the rest of the website look like crap (probably gonna get in trouble for that word). Maybe I could have Dutch design the whole thing.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I hear you. I've been goofing with that program since version 3. I can suggest the Photoshop Artistry by Barry Haynes, Wendy Crumpler if you want to retouch color photos. Also google for Photoshop tips; you'll get _tons_ of sites.

Shoot me a pm if you have any questions. I don't get by "off topic" very often.
    Now that woof was helped, I was wondering if anyone would lend me a hand.

- I'm trying to desaturate (average) everything in this image besides the cheerleader. I'm using gimp and I just can't get the foreground select tool to work properly on this image.

- Can anyone offer any tips or just do it for me?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MLJones8; 10/29/2009 at 09:46 AM.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    Doesn't it need to be a *.gif to do that?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Thanks jeep. ... It's a great tool but learning it on your own can be daunting. I should take a class...
    Wouldn't it be cool if there was an association, like the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) that focused solely on teaching Photoshop (and Lightroom), with a printed magazine like Photoshop User, and a website where you could find out more, like this: Learn Adobe Photoshop CS4, Lightroom and Digital Photography | NAPP and a staff of people just to answer Photoshop questions, and more than 500 video tutorials, and more than 500 written tutorials complete with screen captures, and an included 2-hour video class in 5 to 10 minute sessions just for beginners with Photoshop, and more than 60 live 1-day events around the country provided at a discount for members, and books and DVDs at huge discounts for members, and an annual convention where thousands of users got together to learn from the best Photoshop trainers in the world? Wouldn't that be cool?!

I'm the Executive Director of NAPP. Thanks for giving me the chance to do a commercial.

BTW- If you want to join, send me a PM and I'll hook you up with the Photoshop training DVD of your choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Doesn't it need to be a *.gif to do that?
    I'm not sure about photoshop, but in GIMP it just needs to be RGB.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
    I'm not sure about photoshop, but in GIMP it just needs to be RGB.
    I cannot afford Photoshop, so I'm considering GIMP for pics I'm taking now on my new digital SLR. Have you found that guides and how-to's for Photoshop are accomplished also using GIMP?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I cannot afford Photoshop, so I'm considering GIMP for pics I'm taking now on my new digital SLR. Have you found that guides and how-to's for Photoshop are accomplished also using GIMP?

I haven't used any photoshop how-to's for help with GIMP... However, I've learend all I know with GIMP via tutorials online...

- For example search google: GIMP: how to use foreground select tool
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    Quote Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
    Now that woof was helped, I was wondering if anyone would lend me a hand.

- I'm trying to desaturate (average) everything in this image besides the cheerleader. I'm using gimp and I just can't get the foreground select tool to work properly on this image.

- Can anyone offer any tips or just do it for me?
    I can offer both...

This is using Macromedia Fireworks, so your experience may vary.

First, I copied the cheerleader with a rough cut using a few different selection tools.

Next I pasted her into her own layer.

Then I desaturated the entire original photo layer (including the cheerleader)

Since the top layer is still in color, I used an eraser (something with a soft edge so you don't gouge her) around her edging to make it clean.

I did this quick so it might not be perfect.

The second image is in Palm Pre aspect - 320x480

And there she is in Times Square.

Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by urlmaker; 10/29/2009 at 12:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by urlmaker View Post
    I can offer both...

This is using Macromedia Fireworks, so your experience may vary.

First, I copied the cheerleader with a rough cut using a few different selection tools.

Next I pasted her into her own layer.

Then I desaturated the entire original photo layer (including the cheerleader)

Since the top layer is still in color, I used an eraser (something with a soft edge so you don't gouge her) around her edging to make it clean.
    Well done, thanks for the tips! Later tonight I'll see if I can replicate using your method!

- I'll have to read up on the layers for GIMP, I've had a problem with them from the get go
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I agree with URLMAKER about methodology, but suggest the best free program to do the task on Windows: Paint.NET (you can get it from Paint.NET - Free Software for Digital Photo Editing).
    The program supports layers, transparencies, gradients, etc. - the stuff professionals need - but is very user friendly and has nice community of users and plugin creators.
    I created picture virtually identical to URLMAKER's using these steps:
    1. Copied original image from the forum and pasted it into the new image in Paint.net (Ctrl+Alt+V)
    2. Selected and copied everything (Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C)
    3. Pasted into new layer (Ctrl+Shift+V)
    4. Made the bottom layer invisible for a moment by unchecking its checkbox in Layers palette and clicked top layer to make it active
    5. Tried to automate selection of cheerleader or background, but due to busy background and tonality of cheerleader not different enough had to find simpler way
    6. Selected Eraser tool (E) and adjusted radius to 50 pixels
    7. Removed background on the top layer trying to stay not too close to the cheerleader
    8. Changed radius to 5 pixels and removed rest of the background (here using Magic Wand selection tool with lower tolerance may be viable alternative)
    9. Selected checkbox of the bottom layer in the Layers palette to make it visible and made this layer active
    10. Went to Adjustments | Hue/Saturation menu and moved Saturation slider to the left.
    11. Saved the work as native format to preserve layers; now it can be saved again in any other format as needed.

General hints:
    a. Never use .GIF (not enough colors), .JPG (data loss, no transparency), .BMP (too big, no transparency) as the working format for reasons given in brackets. Use native format of the program for convenience and/or .PNG for portability. You can always convert/re-save to those other formats.
    b. Use Photoshop only if you plan to make money by doing graphics jobs. Adobe is famous for the most idiosyncratic, user unfriendly user interfaces - if you plan to use their tools only a couple of times a year learning their menus and keyboard shortcuts is a waste of time, because you will not be able to reuse this experience in any other software.
    c. GIMP has great features, but user interface un-friendliness is almost as bad as in Photoshop
    I'm using Paint.NET for quick graphics jobs on daily basis, and switching to Corel tools when doing something more serious and time consuming.
    Last edited by jaroslawk; 10/29/2009 at 01:29 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12