Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Barbaric? It seems humane to me. (Maybe in Terri Schiavos case, it may be barbaric. I'd rather her get a lethal dose than starve.)

I guess this becomes a philosiphical question. What is life to you? If life is merely having a beating heart, and nothing more I can see where you would have that opinion. To me, life is more than that. Life is about learning and experiences. What kind of exsitence is it to be laying motionless in an ICU ward somewhere, merely kept alive by machines? If that "life" is a precious gift, than you have my permission to return that gift, should it be me in that bed.
    WRT your first paragraph, that's what living wills are for and Terri doesn't have one. Would you want someone making such a decision for you?

Be objective and open minded here. She's not laying motionless and displays many signs of sentience. Seek facts, be informed. The simple truth is none of us know what her life is like, and many people are flatly condoning STARVING HER TO DEATH. Next time I see a solicitation for "Save the Children" or similar, I guess I'll just conclude that in the USA we've decided starvation is humane and ignore the pleas.

Todd/Indy
  2.    #102  
    they also euthanize pets. PEOPLE? ah, hell, let's just starve them to death, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    No one listens to me cause I'm blonde and beautiful.
    lol

I don't think he gets the funds until after her death. Didn't one of the articles linked in this thread offer that the funds are based on a settlement from medical malpractice that led to this whole scenario?
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    WRT your first paragraph, that's what living wills are for and Terri doesn't have one. Would you want someone making such a decision for you?
    Yes.

Be objective and open minded here. She's not laying motionless and displays many signs of sentience. Seek facts, be informed. The simple truth is none of us know what her life is like, and many people are flatly condoning STARVING HER TO DEATH. Next time I see a solicitation for "Save the Children" or similar, I guess I'll just conclude that in the USA we've decided starvation is humane and ignore the pleas.

Todd/Indy
    I am being objective. It was you who said the idea of even putting down a dog is barbaric. WRT my first paragraph, do you not see where i said starving her may be barbaric? Don't put words in my mouth when they can plainy be rebutted. I said lethal injection would be more humane. However, only convicted murderers are allowed that way out.

It was you who said every moment of life is a precious gift, I don't feel that way. As I said (throw Terri Schiavo out of the arguement), what kind of gift is it to be artificially kept alive by a machine?? How precious is that? Like I said, I don't need that gift.

Pretty sad that we can sanitize the death penalty as much as possible, but we have to let someone starve and dehydrate to death.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. When you referred to me as "a callous, heartless person" it's really a cold callous, heartless person. But since you dont know anything about me, or anything about what I post in these forums, I will just let it pass. I can just tell, however, that you like to get into name-calling with anyone that doesnt agree with your position.

To me, anyone that wouldnt put a suffering pet down is a callous, heartless person. Welcome to Off Topic
    I said you "come across as...". I didn't draw conclusions or call you names directly. I'll let it pass, too.

Todd/Indy
  6.    #106  
    "To me, anyone that wouldnt put a suffering pet down is a callous, heartless person. Welcome to Off Topic"

to me anyone who would starve a suffering person to put them down is a "cold, callous person".

if you had a suffering pet, would you just say, " let it die" and then proceed to STARVE IT TO DEATH?

THAT would be a heartless, callous person. "welcome to offtopic" - back at ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    "To me, anyone that wouldnt put a suffering pet down is a callous, heartless person. Welcome to Off Topic"

to me anyone who would starve a suffering person to put them down is a "cold, callous person".

if you had a suffering pet, would you just say, " let it die" and then proceed to STARVE IT TO DEATH?

THAT would be a heartless, callous person. "welcome to offtopic" - back at ya.
    Brian...go take your meds and stay away from the chocolate
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    It was you who said every moment of life is a precious gift, I don't feel that way. As I said (throw Terri Schiavo out of the arguement), what kind of gift is it to be artificially kept alive by a machine?? How precious is that? Like I said, I don't need that gift.
    Fine. Execute a living will. WRT Terri, no one should have the right to order her to be starved to death.

Todd/Indy
    Brian...go take your meds and stay away from the chocolate
    Mmmmmmm....chocolate

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  10.    #110  
    and claire, don't take too much of those uppers while in class, they'll help ya in school but too many will get ya depressed and all paranoid. chocolate won't help you either.
    ... no one should have the right to order her to be starved to death.

Todd/Indy
    After 15 years and I dont know how many court decisions, it looks like you might be wrong.
    Fine. Execute a living will. WRT Terri, no one should have the right to order her to be starved to death.

Todd/Indy
    I have one...not that they are 100% binding.

And it would appear that every court disagrees with you so far.

13.    #113  
    great! so our court system unanimously agrees that starving someone to death is the best way to put them down.

fantastic! thanks for playing, everyone! ahhh.. america the beautiful!
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    lol

I don't think he gets the funds until after her death. Didn't one of the articles linked in this thread offer that the funds are based on a settlement from medical malpractice that led to this whole scenario?
    No, he spent most of the funds on her care already. I'm referring to many different million dollar offers for him to give the parents power of attorney then go away. Which he's refused.
    Its my understanding that the U.S. Supreme Court has already denied looking at this case prior to the last set of appeals. I don't think they will look at it after the Court of Appeals looks at the case and affirms the District Courts decision.

I think it is hard for people to seperate out their political and religious beliefs when they look at the 'right to die' issue.

I think the parents have made a good argument for how the Court of Appeals should look at the case (de novo) versus success on the merits (like the District Court did).

However, in the end, I think the best thing for Terri is to let her go (and I just hope that was her wish). IMHO
    great! so our court system unanimously agrees that starving someone to death is the best way to put them down....
    Hey Mister Rule of Law...if you want it different, get it changed.
    great! so our court system unanimously agrees that starving someone to death is the best way to put them down.

fantastic! thanks for playing, everyone! ahhh.. america the beautiful!
    A. There's less self realization there than a flat worm.

B. It's standard to administor a pain killer during that time.
  18.    #118  
    wow... you're a noble citizen, indeed. you find starvation of those who are suffering to be absolutely no problem at all!
    what fine examples we are setting for future generations with attitudes like this!
    bravo, clairegrrl, bravo!
  19.    #119  
    "however, in the end, I think the best thing for Terri is to let her go (and I just hope that was her wish). IMHO"

I agree.. if the courts decide it is best to let terri go, than I can support that, as long as we can make that process as comfortable as possible for her. the way we are currently letting this go leaves much to be desired.
    After 15 years and I dont know how many court decisions, it looks like you might be wrong.
    The court's current decision isn't necessarily right. Courts will sentence you to jail time for starving your cat or dog, but allow it to be done to a human being. Is this really America in 2005? I hope Terri's legacy is raised awareness, at the very least. Seems a lot of living wills are being executed these days.

Do any of you "pro-starvation" folks want to see pictures or video of Terri in two days? A week? The day she finally dies? Visualize that, if you dare. Still comfortable with your position?

This is too sad and depressing to contemplate further. Everyone knows where I stand and I can't articulate it any more clearly. I'm outta here.

Todd/Indy