Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    And once again, why the Congress of the United States of America needs to get involved, aside from political grandstanding is beyond me. But, here you go.

Sad as it is, because some have determined that there's political gain to be made from this family's tragedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by dansamy
    The Schindlers are selfish and in denial
    You might think differently if that was your child. Hopefully you'll never be faced with that situation.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    For the sake of one child, they are willing to cripple the entire US population's rights to accept/deny medical care. They do NOT have that right. Congress should not grant it to them. That IS selfish. Simple and factual. As I mentioned previously in this thread, I can't speak for Terri or Michael or the Schindlers. BUT, in my opinion, dragging this through an inappropriate branch of government simply because the appropriate branch ruled against you IS heinously selfish. I don't know what Michael's motives are. I don't know what Terri's wishes would have been. I can't fathom the pain that the Schindlers are in. I have children. It would kill me to see them live the way Terri is living now. But, the Schindlers' pain does not give them the right to demand special laws to force federal courts to hear these types of cases. They are trampling individual's rights and state rights in this matter. And they don't care.
    Big point in all this is there's no going back once she's been starved to death. And that's exactly what will happen--no sugar coating it. It's a one-way decision to pull the tube and deny sustenence. How could anyone feel compelled to argue for such a barbaric course of action? It's not a religious matter for me, but it still rings true as a black-and-white moral issue in my eyes. I'll never have a pet "put to sleep" either, for the same reason. Every moment of life is a precious gift to every living thing. Friends and lovers should be together to the very end--or why bother living at all?

Todd/Indy
    But again, I suppose you could morphine her into bliss, but I don't think you can speed the process up. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Florida$ $Supreme$ $Court$ $ruled$ $against$ $Doctor$ $Assisted$ $Suicide$ $nearly$ $ten$ $years$ $ago$, $and$ $it$ $hasn$'$t$ $been$ $over$-$ruled$. $So$, $legally$, $I$ $think$ $the$ $doctors$ $have$ $their$ $hands$ $tied$.
    Giving morphine is a normal process to prevent suffering from pain, or e.g. starvation in the present case. The side effects of high doses of morphine are quite strong and will shorten the life span of the patient, maybe even cause the death of the patient, but this is usually considered an acceptable trade-off in the case of somebody terminally ill and close to death. So there is no clear line between alleviating pain and euthanasia.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    It's unfortunate that our congress feels that they need to use Terry for their own self-serving political objectives and chose to interfere. Numerous FL state courts reviewed the matter over many years, yet Congress obviously feels that these courts are incompetant and that the federal court judges are not so. I guess it helps to have your brother in the White House too when you want to ask Washington to run interference in State matters. I feel for the whole family who has been victimized by politicians for years in this ordeal.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    being a devoted catholic, never said anything regarding not wanting to live in circumstances such as these.
    Just to add to the discussion from a Catholic's viewpoint, here's my two cents.

A Catholic can NOT commit suicide. It is considered a mortal sin (i.e. a ticket straight to hell). And hell on earth is very minor to an eternity of hell. On the other hand....if her husband has the authority to keep or remove the feeding tube in her, then if he chooses to have the tube removed, that may also be considered a mortal sin (murder).

Now, I wasn't exactly sure if both of these situations would be considered a mortal sin (if given permission to remove a tube by Terry and the removal of the tube by her husband) so I emailed my Deacon (FYI, a deacon in the catholic church is an ordained clergyman one step beneath a father....and my deacon has been teaching physics for over 30 years...a smart apple!) and he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

And as a side note, I spoke with my wife and I told her this.....if this ever happened to me, she did not have my permission to pull the tube....but I would hope she would (I wanted to stay away from the suicide situation just to be sure). She would then be committing a mortal sin and I wouldn't....however, since she is still alive, she has the opportunity to be forgiven through the sacrament of reconciliation and I would not of had that luxury (being dead and all). I couldn't imagine forcing my family to support me in that condition....and that's not a life. Have you ever been sick or had surgery and couldn't get up off the couch for a day or two? I have.....that was horrible. She has been in this state for over 15 YEARS!!! I think I would literally (yes literally) go crazy. That's not a life
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    ... She has been in this state for over 15 YEARS!!! That's not a life
    This chick aint comin' back. Let her go to a better place. The rest is all just selfish BS.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    listen, insertion, what i want is for everyone and anyone in such a position to be given the best possible consideration, and if it takes having to set a new precedent to make sure everyone gets the best possible treatment, then like i said, so be it. i cant play favorites? when did i mention only terri should get this consideration? there are no favorites here, im talking about all people in this situation.
    You may not be playing favorites, however Congress is. This bill pertains to Terri Schiavo, and her alone. Not anyone else. How would you feel if just last week, it was you who had to watch a loved one die, after all legal recourse had been exhausted. And now ONE person, gets a glimmer of hope. Why is she more important than anyone else?
    well, then i guess i differ with what "we" have determined her wishes to be. i am uncomfortable, then, with what our legal system has decided here. that is where the legal system is wrong, at least in my opinion. maybe i am wrong, here, but i feel the decision to extend or halt life of any individual should ALWAYS be given to those who love them the most, not to someone who might be trying to eliminate her in order to enjoy a financial gain. THAT is the problem i am having with this situation.
    That's fine. I understand if you don't like the rulings. But this is how the legal system works. Two sides, and unless a settlement is reached between those involved, you have one winner and one loser.

because you see, michael, is rewarded with $2 million from terri`s death. what are her parents rewarded with? pain, guilt, sadness and anger.
    Is he? Surely the legal and medical bills won't leave much behind.
    you and i differ in how we view this situation.
    let's just see what happens
    Unfortunately, I don't think this act of Congress will change anything in the long run. It's just prolonging the inevitable.
    Last edited by Insertion; 03/21/2005 at 04:23 PM. Reason: the usual typos you find later on...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Unfortunately, I don't think this will act of Congress will change anything in the long run.
    At least it's a sign that Steroid use in Baseball didn't take up all of their time.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    You might think differently if that was your child. Hopefully you'll never be faced with that situation.
    Hopefully none of us will. Nobody wants to let go of a loved one. Thats not saying it is a bad thing, but it is still selfish nonetheless.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Giving morphine is a normal process to prevent suffering from pain, or e.g. starvation in the present case. The side effects of high doses of morphine are quite strong and will shorten the life span of the patient, maybe even cause the death of the patient, but this is usually considered an acceptable trade-off in the case of somebody terminally ill and close to death. So there is no clear line between alleviating pain and euthanasia.
    Well, it seems you Euro's are more receptive to assisted suicide. We can't legally do that, yet we can remove a feeding tube or unplug a life support machine. I guess it's okay to let someone waste away for days, as opposed to a more dliberate act of say, a lethal injection.

At least it's a sign that Steroid use in Baseball didn't take up all of their time.
    Oh let's not get started on that nonsense!! If they'd focus on the job they've been elected to do, rather than this garbage, they may actually accomplish some things.

Well, it seems you Euro's are more receptive to assisted suicide. We can't legally do that, yet we can remove a feeding tube or unplug a life support machine. I guess it's okay to let someone waste away for days, as opposed to a more dliberate act of say, a lethal injection.
    I guess we value the decision of an individual more. If somebody decides he or she wants to die, indeed even some forms of assisted suicide can be legal under certain (narrowly definded) circumstances, e.g. if somebody provides a lethal drug to somebody terminally ill and suffering from severe pain etc.

On the other hand, we are aware of the fact that it is human to err, even in a legal system, and therefore we consider death penalty uncivilised. So we accept individual suicide, but not the killing of people by the government/legal system e.g. by lethal injections. Funny, how we come to opposite conclusions sometimes.
    On the other hand, we are aware of the fact that it is human to err, even in a legal system, and therefore we consider death penalty uncivilised. So we accept individual suicide, but not the killing of people by the government/legal system e.g. by lethal injections. Funny, how we come to opposite conclusions sometimes.
    Interesting...hadn't thought about. Well, personally speaking I favor both the death penalty, and assisted suicide.

there is no clear line between alleviating pain and euthanasia
    I cannot tell you the number times I have seen a nurse walk into the room with the morphine and inform the family members present (who requested "comfort measures only" for their dying kin) that the amount of morphine that the patient now requires in order to "keep them comfortable" is sufficiently high enough to cause respiratory depression and may, in fact, hasten their loved one's demise. NOT ONE family has ever asked that the morphine be withheld. They have all chosen to accept that this is the end and making it a little faster, a little easier and a good deal less painful for their loved one was better than watching them in agony.
  17.    #57  
    if it turns out that it is in terri's best interests to bring her life to an end, then I can support that.
    personally,I wouldn't want to be stuck on life support this way either. that WOULD seem cruel, after you really consider it all.
    but what I would like to see is terri's life brought to a close in a very dignified, comfortable way.
    I would like to see her placed on morphine which is what doctors administer to nearly all patients near their death, who may be in pain or suffering in some form or another.
    I realize this is illegal in the US, but to me, I think this is unquestionably the more humane, and appropriate way to bring someone's life to a close. starving someone to death, although people here have insisted the patients do not recognize the experience as painful, just doesn't seem right to me.
    if it must be done, it must be done. but let's do it in a humane fashion. I think anyone in such a situation would want it that way.
    just my opinion.
    I think we can all agree on that.

Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    This chick aint comin' back. Let her go to a better place. The rest is all just selfish BS.
    Well put!
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
    Putting a patient on morphine is not illegal in the US. It is illegal to administer a lethal dose. However, the dose required for pain relief in the dying is not always a "small" dose. Sometimes it can be very nearly a lethal amount. In a patient who already is having systemic failures, the morphine just kinda nudges 'em over the edge.
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast