Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920
    Quote Originally Posted by burnout
    Maybe. Walt Disney's head is frozen because he thought there might be a chance of coming back. You never know what kind of advances in science are in store for us down the road.
    Was that his choice or his family's? Thats the issue here.

"Its what Terry wanted"

... according to her husband.
    Yeah but the courts overwhelming believed him over the parents.

The constitution is explicit in how to deal with traitors.
    Actually its not. Here is the link to the constitution. Read article 3, section 3.

"Clause 2: The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason"

The constitution doesnt say what to do as punishment, it only states that the Congress can decide (and I do think they have authorized the death penalty but I think it has to be during a time of war...)

Read the article I posted in the Bush thread. Franklin, Rosen, and Weismann should be hung. I trust the FBI's surveillance of these rats. Easy enough to prove in this situation.
    I will post about this on the other thread (so we dont get too off topic) along with the constitution statement.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

We'll never know now since she was killed. Why not let her live, she wouldn't know the difference right? Her parents wanted her alive. What is wrong with satisfying their wishes?

Because her wishes trump theirs. The courts concluded that those were her wishes. That is what courts do. They make the hard decisions that the rest of us cannot make. The court did not decide to kill her. They decided that she did not want to be kept alive in that state.

In this case, the legislature and the executive attempted to trump the courts. Legislatures pass laws and establish public policy but courts decide how to apply those laws and policies in hard cases. The courts decided, both the law and the facts, the decisions were appealed and upheld by the appellate courts. We call this the rule of law. However men may feel about the outcome of this rule, they must accept it. If we permit politicians to intervene any time they do not like the decisions of the courts, we will have chaos. We will have the rule of men, not law.

Frankly, I do not much care what the rest of you decide to do with my carcass when I am through with it. But she did care. A court found that she expressed her wishes to her next of kin, her husband. He acted as I would hope my kin will act. However you or her parents may feel about it, he was her next of kin. It was his responsibility, not theirs.
    Last edited by whmurray; 06/18/2005 at 08:45 PM.
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Because her wishes trump theirs. The courts concluded that those were her wishes. That is what courts do. They make the hard decisions that the rest of us cannot make. The court did not decide to kill her. They decided that she did not want to be kept alive in that state.

In this case, the legislature and the executive attempted to trump the courts. Legislatures pass laws and establish public policy but courts decide how to apply those laws and policies in hard cases. The courts decided, both the law and the facts, the decisions were appealed and upheld by the appellate courts. We call this the rule of law. However men may feel about the outcome of this rule, they must accept it. If we permit politicians to intervene any time they do not like the decisions of the courts, we will have chaos. We will have the rule of men, not law.

Frankly, I do not much care what the rest of you decide to do with my carcass when I am through with it. But she did care. A court found that she expressed her wishes to her next of kin, her husband. He acted as I would hope my kin will act. However you or her parents may feel about it, he was her next of kin. It was his responsibility, not theirs.
    Couldn't have said it better.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho

But isn't that the point...she didn't put it in writing. How would we ever know for sure what she wanted? (that really is the key though...what TERRY wanted...not the parents or her husband).
    Knowing is difficult. While the courts are clearly fallible, we know few things in life with the confidence that we know their findings.
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920