Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I became politically aware in 1980, and realized that I am conservative with a libertarian streak. Anyway, at that time the Democrats virtually CONTROLLED the country. Most of the states had D governors and D legislatures. The Federal government? Forget about it! The R's took control of the senate for a few years during Reagan's administration, but beyond that we were totally in the darkness, performing holding actions at best.

I can remember how frustrating it was to watch a network newscast and see conservativsm portrayed as just short of a mental disease, and quite possibly evil. I can remember staying awake on election nights, wondering how bad it was going to be for my side. I watched as time and time again the R's were outmaneuvered simply because they didn't have a voice, either in government or in the media. (I was REALLY depressed with the passage of the Brady Bill and the "Assault Weapons Ban".)

Then in November of 1994 the Gingrich Revolution arrived. The brilliant strategy of the "Contract with America" swept over 50 Democrats out of the house in one election! It was a flogging of BIBLICAL proportions. I can still remember Clinton's first press conference after that election. The look on his face when he realized the magnitude of how badly he had screwed his party with his liberal agenda was priceless! The perfect storm of Newt's strategy and Clinton's fumbles (gays in the military push, tax increases (when he campaigned on a tax cut) and his gun control stance gutted his D's forty year hold on Congress.

Clinton "triangulated" and defeated a weak Dole candidacy in 96, but the tsunami rolled on across the country as more and more state legislatures and governorships went R in a big way.

W's election in 2000 marked another turning point. His stalwart leadership reversed a historical trend...his party picked up seats in the Congress in the mid-term election of 2002. With Bush's convincing relection in 2004, the change seems nearly comlete. Today, the Republicans have solid majority in the Senate and the House, and will soon be setting a judicial tempo that will last a generation.

I write all this by way of asking, what went so wrong for the Dems? Was it their arrogant abuse of power? Their policies which destroyed the inner city family? Their incredibly weak stance on national defense? Their wholesale adoption of "Hollywood Values" and the elitism of the beautiful people? Their reliance on fragile coalitions depenedent upon government handouts? Their obvious race baiting? (I mean, we're talking about a party that excoriated Trent Lott, but embraces Al Sharpton and a former Grand Kleagle! That is diversity of a sort, I guess.) Maybe it is their deep connection to the United Nations and their willingness to "blame America first"? Surely their close connection to the radical homosexual lobby isn't helping them in middle America. (Reagan was blamed for the AIDS scourge, but it was the inabilty of Democrats in cities like San Francisco to close bathhouses that really unleashed that virus. They totally abandoned normal vector control protocol and treated AIDS like an endangered species in a wetlands.)

Was it their unholy alliance with unions and machine politics? The hypocrisy of sending their kids to private school while locking everyone else into a public school system that is failing? Their close ties to extremist environmental groups like ELF? Their obstructionism in developing our nation's fuel resources and consequent dependence upon foreign sources?

Is it a backlash against the scourge of political correctness that was foisted upon the nation in the 90's? Are people tired of the left wing academic elite insulting them? I mean, Ward Churchill is just a visible symptom of an epidemic disease.

Was it when their allies in the media were useated by the upstart Fox news, talk radio and conservative bloggers? (Dan Rather and Eason Jordan are on unemployment!) Was that it...was it when finally liberalism had to compete in the arena of ideas they started to lose?

Because the Democrats are losing. "Big time", to coin a phrase. We'll soon be drilling in ANWR. John Bolton is headed to the UN and will shake that place apart. Paul Wolfowitz will head the World Bank! (Was that Bono I just heard crying?) Within a year or so Antonin Scalia will head the Supreme Court. The Dems are going to lose the judiciary fight, and will look like whining losers when they do. Social security reform will take place, gradually. The tax code will be simplified and made truly fair. These are big ideas, the Ownershp Society, while the Dems, mired in the past offer rehashed New Deal and Great Society programs.

So I ask you...why are the Dems getting the living DOG SNOT kicked out of them across this great land of ours?
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    We'll soon be drilling in ANWR. John Bolton is headed to the UN and will shake that place apart. Paul Wolfowitz will head the World Bank! (Was that Bono I just heard crying?) Within a year or so Antonin Scalia will head the Supreme Court. The Dems are going to lose the judiciary fight, and will look like whining losers when they do. Social security reform will take place, gradually. The tax code will be simplified and made truly fair. These are big ideas, the Ownershp Society, while the Dems, mired in the past offer rehashed New Deal and Great Society programs.
    basically a one-party system. stop drooling all over yourself!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by nudist
    basically a one-party system. stop drooling all over yourself!
    You guys essentally had that for forty years. Our turn in the sun.

I hope we have a two party system....conservative Republicans and non-dope smoking, life respecting, controlled borders libertarians
    We need to be more supportive of the d's in their time of need

Well behaved women rarely make history
  5.    #5  
    DA, NRG, Cell...where are you guys? I'd really like your perspective on how it is the D's have become a minority party, seeings how messed up you say the Republicans are.

I guess I can kind of empathize. Until my side found its voice in alternative media and was able to communicate our message we were in the wilderness. But I think things are going to get worse, much worse, for you guys. You're in the wilderness at night with no moral compass. The maps you have were originally printed in 1930, and reissued by LBJ in 1964. The Republican wolves ate the trail of breadcrumbs you left during your wanderings, and the FCC is jamming your GPS signal! All you have left is dead reckoning, with the fear that the next step you take will put you off another cliff.

Howard Dean screams really well, so I guess you have that going for you. And who, after having seen the result of Nancy Pelosi's multiple face lifts, can argue for medical tort reform? And there's no doubt that MOVEON is a great asset for you. They had such an impact this past election, spending Soros' money.

If it looks like I'm gloating, well....I am.
  6.    #6  
    Hello? Hello? Is this thing on? All I can hear are crickets chirping in the background.
    One of the reasons I think Republicans have made strides over the last decade has been their underdog mentality. For instance, the "liberal media" is a common "enemy" though I find it hard to find. Regardless, by portraying everyone else as the establishment and the status quo, they've turned many to their side. Arrogance similar to what we see above may be the beginning of the end. Republicans need to keep their underdog mentality and their fighting sense of right and wrong lest they rest and find themselves truly in the minority.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Arrogance similar to what we see above may be the beginning of the end.
    Interesting point, from an outside view...

I also had to smile at 1911's "Clinton's fumbles (...tax increases (when he campaigned on a tax cut)" because I can still hear Bush senior (undoubtedly far wiser than his junior) saying "Read my lips: NO - NEW - TAXES" before he introduced new taxes. Somehow, this must have escaped 1911's attention.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  9.    #9  
    KRamsauer,
    I have to agree that the "underdog" mentality served us well. What is disappointing is that our leadership hasn't really stepped up and continued the fight. Maybe the judicial nomination/fillibuster breaking will be the turning point.

As far as not being able to find liberal bias in the mainstream media, well, we'll have to disagree. Do you remember when Time magazine ran a cover, "The Gingrich that Stole Christmas"? How about Mary Mapes' attempt to torpedo Bush in the homestretch of the election? Usually it is more subtle, though. Head to www.mrc.org and check their archives. For the alternative, you can go to www.mediamatters and read the Left's answer to Jeff Gannon
    Last edited by 1911sforever; 03/18/2005 at 12:30 PM.
    I've seen a lot on how Bush is dumb. How so? How is Bush Sr smarter than Jr? I think this is common liberal ammo,the left disagrees with Bush so badly, they feel it has to be a result of Bush being dumb.

I remember many people saying Reagan was dumb. You know there is dumb, then there is dumb as a fox.

Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    I can still hear Bush senior (undoubtedly far wiser than his junior) saying "Read my lips: NO - NEW - TAXES"
    Last edited by Advance The Man; 03/18/2005 at 12:24 PM.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Interesting point, from an outside view...

I also had to smile at 1911's "Clinton's fumbles (...tax increases (when he campaigned on a tax cut)" because I can still hear Bush senior (undoubtedly far wiser than his junior) saying "Read my lips: NO - NEW - TAXES" before he introduced new taxes. Somehow, this must have escaped 1911's attention.
    No. It didn't escape my attention at all. You'll note how Bush 41 wasn't re-elected.

The difference is that Bush was EXCORIATED by the media for that backtrack, whereas Clinton got a pass. "I never worked so hard...".
    DA, NRG, Cell...where are you guys? I'd really like your perspective on how it is the D's have become a minority party, seeings how messed up you say the Republicans are.

I guess I can kind of empathize. Until my side found its voice in alternative media and was able to communicate our message we were in the wilderness. But I think things are going to get worse, much worse, for you guys. You're in the wilderness at night with no moral compass. The maps you have were originally printed in 1930, and reissued by LBJ in 1964. The Republican wolves ate the trail of breadcrumbs you left during your wanderings, and the FCC is jamming your GPS signal! All you have left is dead reckoning, with the fear that the next step you take will put you off another cliff.

Howard Dean screams really well, so I guess you have that going for you. And who, after having seen the result of Nancy Pelosi's multiple face lifts, can argue for medical tort reform? And there's no doubt that MOVEON is a great asset for you. They had such an impact this past election, spending Soros' money.

If it looks like I'm gloating, well....I am.
    A conservative actually wants my opinion, hooray! Well for what it is worth,
    I think that it is not particularly the message that was better, but how it was sold to the public. In this last election, the selling of the GOP message really was well coordinated.

The way I see it, once it came out of Bush or Cheney aids mouths last year, it was quickly disseminated word for word by all of the GOP faithful as one GOP voice in the media, other news outlets, and through the internet (although I do not think that Treocentral offtopics swung the election one way or the other lol). Democrats were not nearly so unified in their messages as republicans were.

I think the main message that seemed to stick (to the proverbial wall) was the GOP labeling democrats at unpatriotic and devoid of moral values. Democrats on the other hand, were not unified enough in their response and Kerry was too inarticulate to debunk these myths. I think that made the few percentage points differences in the undecideds to tip the favor for the GOP.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    A conservative actually wants my opinion, hooray! Well for what it is worth,
    I think that it is not particularly the message that was better, but how it was sold to the public. In this last election, the selling of the GOP message really was well coordinated.

The way I see it, once it came out of Bush or Cheney aids mouths last year, it was quickly disseminated word for word by all of the GOP faithful as one GOP voice in the media, other news outlets, and through the internet (although I do not think that Treocentral offtopics swung the election one way or the other lol). Democrats were not nearly so unified in their messages as repubblicans were.

I think the main message that seemed to stick (to the proverbial wall) was the GOP labeling democrats at unpatriotic and devoid of moral values and the democrats were not unified enough in their response and Kerry was too inarticulate to debunk these myths. I think that made the few percentage points differences in the undecideds to tip the favor for the GOP.
    OK, that's your take on the last election...but what about the overall decline? I mean, short of the west coast and the north east, and maybe a few gulags in between, you people can't get appointed to dog catcher, and haven't been able to for years.

Is it that the Republicans are that evil, or you guys that incompetent?
    OK, that's your take on the last election...but what about the overall decline? I mean, short of the west coast and the north east, and maybe a few gulags in between, you people can't get appointed to dog catcher, and haven't been able to for years.

Is it that the Republicans are that evil, or you guys that incompetent?
    No, I think unfortunately that a lot of undecideds really were swayed on things like style, repetition, marketing and good advertising. The democrats tried to adopt a strategy of being republican-lite. Kerry going duck hunting just prior to the election was a classic example. That was a mistake, and just did not sell to these undecideds.

I know you guys really hate Dean and Hillary, but these are the kinds of democrats who can sell people on their politics. You can say all you want about them, but one thing they are not is wishy washy and you know up front where they stand, just about the opposite in many ways of Kerry. I think they will be much more able to lead the democratic party than Kerry ever could dream of. You can say all you want about them, but they will respond in kind and they will be formidable opponents, you watch. And just like a lot of republicans rode on Bush's coat-tails, you will see dems riding theirs in 2008.

So I am optimistic about the next elections, pendulums swing back and forth. I do not begrudge anyone their victory, and congratulations you all have the right to enjoy now.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 03/18/2005 at 03:49 PM.
  15.    #15  
    'I know you guys really hate Dean and Hillary, but these are the kinds of democrats who can sell people on their politics. You can say all you want about them, but one thing they are not is wishy washy and you know up front where they stand, just about the opposite in many ways of Kerry. "

Hijacking my own thread here, but, which Hillary would that be? The one that wouldn't just bake coolkies and "Stand by her man", or the one that withstood total humiliation at the hands of her husband? The virturecrat that couldn't find the Rose Law Firm billing records, which were in a library in the White House? The one that wants to make abortion, "Safe, legal and rare", and then gives a stemwinder of a speech at Emily's List, and then is seen looking for "common ground" on the issue?

I know several blue collar Dems that have told me that if Hillary! is their candidate in 08, they're staying home.

Dean, on the other hand, does seem to be the real deal. Too bad he's such a nut case.

Still, you haven't broached why the decline. I mean, in 1980 you guys OWNED this country.
    If I may opine;

I think the Left is too much in love with Hollywood (and vice versa). I don't think people in Nebraska give a hoot about what some overpaid actor/actress thinks. Hell, I live twenty miles from Hollywood, and I don't care one way or the other for them. Yet the constant barrage from these people, I think, turns the mainstream off.

Whoopi Goldberg at a Kerry fundraiser pointing to her crotch and saying this is where Bush belongs.

Chevy Chase saying Bush is dumber than an egg timer.

Who can forget Alec Baldwins blow up, during the impeachment, encouraging all of America to actually KILL a US Representative (You remember we should all of us right now stone Henry Hyde to death.)

Meryl Streep, Cher, Barbara Streisand, the list goes on and on.

Kerry later went on to say that these people represented the "heart and soul" of the nation.

I think the country saw an assault on thier values. Gay marriage, the Ten Commandments, etc. The U.S. is still a largely Christian nation, certainly between the coasts.

It was Mel Gibson v. Michael Moore in a lot of respects. The Passion of the Christ viewers v. the Fahrenheit 9/11 fans.

Add that to the fact that the Democrats didn't have a clear defined message. "I'm not Bush" is pretty much what they ran on. Sure they had ideas, but they were never strong.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I feel Cellmatrix was pretty much right-on with his post. However, I do agree CM hasn't answered what happened over the last 30 years. It may be a case of what he said over a longer period of time. Basically a common message a common theme and the Democrat message and theme changing to what they think people want to hear.
    Still, you haven't broached why the decline. I mean, in 1980 you guys OWNED this country.
    I do not understand, in 1980 Reagan had a huge victory over Carter, and Reagan dominated in 1984 too. Then Bush was president after that, till 1992. I can't see how we could have owned the country at that time. I believe during that period, the public was comfortable having a republican president and democratic congress balance each other.

I agree with you that the turning point for the GOP in congress came in 1994 when Gingrich and company came in the house. They did it not by inventing a new agenda, contract with America was not much different from the previous republican agenda, but what was new was their unleashing a new brand of in your face attack your enemy politics. They latched onto Clinton's leg and did not let go, and went after every other dem they could sink their teeth into. I think the 1994 house republicans and Gingrich are much to be credited with where the GOP are today in congress and the white house. Very forward thinking about how to sell their ideas and above all how to go on the offensive and never let up.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 03/18/2005 at 05:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    I do not understand, in 1980 Reagan had a huge victory over Carter, and Reagan dominated in 1984 too. Then Bush was president after that, till 1992. I can't see how we could have owned the country at that time. I believe during that period, the public was comfortable having a republican president and democratic congress balance each other.
    Well, Democrats did "own" Congress until the "Revolution." Other than a brief session I think in the 80's when the GOP had a majority Senate, it had been all Democrat for a generations. In fact until now, the only other time the GOP had a President AND both houses was 53-55.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    What a nice guy Bush is. The administration blacked out the indiscretions Clinton made in the last days of his presidency. Guess Clinton letting Bush Sr have the bed while they were in Asia paid off.

"Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton called it an instance of the Bush administration covering up a Clinton administration scandal."

link
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast