Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    Thanks for the link.
    Wish I could read the link, they ask for a login. Everytime I do that I get inundated with spam
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Wish I could read the link, they ask for a login. Everytime I do that I get inundated with spam
    Nederland draws corpse corps
    Frozen Dead Guy Days attracts 7,000 for race, fun

By Desiree Belmarez, Camera Staff Writer
    March 13, 2005

NEDERLAND With pink tutus, wigs and tights, the Manitou-Tu team would have taken first place in Saturday's coffin race at the Frozen Dead Guy Days if the top prize had been for boisterous merrymaking.

But the seven-member team finished second behind Good Karma, hauling a coffin-shaped carrier that said, "We put the MAN in Manitou-Tu," around an obstacle course made of packed snow and a haystack-lined ramp.

The dictionary defines a manitou as a "supernatural force that according to an Algonquian conception pervades the natural world." Manitou-Tu member Allan Gerking said the team dreamed up its name while sitting around drinking.

"The race was intense," said Gerking, 36, of Denver. "It's not as easy as it looks."

The team walked away with a trophy and $100, Good Karma got $300 for first place, and third-place Space Cadabers won $50. They competed in a field of 21 registered teams with 147 race participants.

The fourth annual Frozen Dead Guy Days, a weekend-long celebration that began Saturday, honors the cryogenically preserved body of "Grandpa" Bredo Morstoel, who died in 1989. His body lies in a bed of dry ice in a Tuff Shed near Barker Reservoir in Nederland.

Morstoel's daughter, Aud Morstoel, had trouble getting a U.S. visa but arrived in Nederland from Norway last week, just in time for the celebration. She was the parade marshal Saturday morning and observed the coffin race in the early afternoon.

"I think it's a lot of fun, and my dad would have liked it," Morstoel said. "Hopefully, many of these people will be interested in getting frozen themselves."

Morstoel said that when she had her father cryogenically prepared in 1989, the procedure cost about $4,500. She said that maintaining the body storage fees and keeping the dry ice packed costs her $750 a month.

Holly Peterson, 22, of Denver, said she would not consider freezing herself.

"I think the event is great," Peterson said. "But I am not really into being cold for eternity."

The celebration attracted about 7,000 people Saturday, coordinator Teresa Warren said. Frozen Dead Guy Days continues today.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    spam blocker
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    spam blocker
    Well behaved women rarely make history
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12