what about like this

S&W #952 9mm
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    American guns for American grrls
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    what about like this

S&W #952 9mm
    Smith and Wesson just started making the 1911 model pistol about 2 years ago. Great firearms right out of the box. That's one of my three I own....a .45 caliber 1911. The 9 mm is cheaper to shoot (ammo-wise) and it has less of a kick, so that may be a better fit, but I wouldn't trade my 1911 for anything (except a Scandium model )

I'll probably get that one down the road as well, but I have a few other in my wish list before hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    Smith and Wesson just started making the 1911 model pistol about 2 years ago. Great firearms right out of the box. That's one of my three I own....a .45 caliber 1911. The 9 mm is cheaper to shoot (ammo-wise) and it has less of a kick, so that may be a better fit, but I wouldn't trade my 1911 for anything (except a Scandium model )

I'll probably get that one down the road as well, but I have a few other in my wish list before hand.
    So is it a pretty good choice. Are there other American models to choose from??
    So is it a pretty good choice. Are there other American models to choose from??
    The other two big ones IMO are....colt and smithfield armory. Smithfield armory is the oldest US armory.....supplied handguns and rifles to the US armies for YEARS. All three are high quality...I personally like S&W (two of my three pistols are S&W), but Colt and SA's are both high quality pieces and each have their own following.
    Oh, by the way...I've already graduated, but I'm going back to school part-time now (one class per semester) for my Masters degree in Civil engineering. I have 5 classes to go....wanna buy me a gun too for graduation?
    Sure, when I'm elected President, a chicken in every pot, and a gun in every home!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."

What?? And you're asking me to arm you???? Bah, no gun OR chicken for you now!

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    American guns for American grrls
    But the Walther is such a sweet gun. The S&W is pretty good too. Sure you don't want the Barrett? It'll keep the nudies off your property!

I just bought a S&W 1911 PD...the follow on to the SC. I take delivery tonight and will IMMEDIATELY run 300 rounds through him. If he passes this test, he goes off to the gunsmith for the installation of Henie sights and to have the grip safety pinned down. Then another reliablity test. If all goes well, that gun will become my primary carry piece.

And this from a diehard Colt guy!
    The other two big ones IMO are....colt and smithfield armory. Smithfield armory is the oldest US armory.....supplied handguns and rifles to the US armies for YEARS. All three are high quality...I personally like S&W (two of my three pistols are S&W), but Colt and SA's are both high quality pieces and each have their own following.
    RicoM,
    Springfield manufactures their gun parts in Brazil. They're imported for final assembly. Also, don't confuse this modern Springfield Armory with the government arsenal that closed its doors in the late 60's. They are completely different entitites. (I took an "after hours" tour of THE Springfield armory about five hours ago. WOW! They had a copy of every firearm, and every variation of every firearm, that was produced since the time George Washington had them building Limey whackers. It was amazing!)

The latest model Colt 1911s are a quantum improvement over what they were putting out just a few years ago. When Kimber went to CNC machinining in the mid-90's, Springfield Armory followed suit. Things haven't been this good for us 1911 fans since...well....ever!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    Springfield manufactures their gun parts in Brazil. They're imported for final assembly. Also, don't confuse this modern Springfield Armory with the government arsenal that closed its doors in the late 60's.
    I did not know that....Thanks for the info.

.....and to have the grip safety pinned down.
    Just curious....why would you do this? The grip safety is a relatively transparent safety when firing this pistol. If you hold the grip down, it dissengages the safety. I just can't see any additional time required to fire this pistol with the grip safety there and it offers...well an additional level of safety. I may be missing something though, like I said, I was just curious as to why...
    Last edited by RicoM; 03/14/2005 at 07:59 AM.
    I did not know that....Thanks for the info.

Just curious....why would you do this? The grip safety is a relatively transparent safety when firing this pistol. If you hold the grip down, it dissengages the safety. I just can't see any additional time required to fire this pistol with the grip safety there and it offers...well an additional level of safety. I may be missing something though, like I said, I was just curious as to why...
    A few years ago I adopted a much "higher" firing grip. The result of this is that occasionally...about once very 50 or so presentations, my grip fails to deactivate the grip safety. (In fact, it happened to me just yesterday while I was giving a demonstration in a course!) Since reliability is the number one consideration in a firearm, I have the grip safeties in my 1911's pinned down. (The problem gun from yesterday was a backup pistol. My primary is in the smithy getting the ejector replaced. It broke after only 40,000 rounds! They just don't make'em like they used to.)

Also, factor in a "fighting while wounded" scenario, where your grip strength or angle may not be enough to disengage the safety.

The only reason the grip safety was included by John Moses Browning was to satisfy an Army requirement for the horse cavlary. The prototype gun, the M1905, didn't have a grip safety. The intel guys I worked with in Somalia actually tied theirs down with a piece of rawhide.

I know LOTS more about 1911s than I do about Treos!
    Also, factor in a "fighting while wounded" scenario,
    lol..

Braveheart II -- "They may take away our lives, but they'll never take... OUR TREEEEEEEEEEEO"
    You tried to quote some source, and either got the city or the state wrong.
    State Rep. John Pappageorge, R-Troy, 73, was quoted in July 16 editions of the Detroit Free Press as saying, ?If we do not suppress the Detroit vote, we?re going to have a tough time in this election.?

You're just a little angry leftist BS monger with nothing to offer in the way of solutions. You have already proven with your recent Googlefest that you cant even find accurate information. You fall right in with your adopted party, and it's complete lack of civility. Your hatred for so many things may be because of some chemical imbalance or you were toilet trained at too early an age. Perhaps you should seek some professional advice. Even though I have seen your type before, I just dont have the training to make a proper diagnosis.
    If this is not a personal attack, I don't know what is. Apparently that is fine in this forum.
    Settle down nudist, or you'll find yourself involved in a high-noon duel with one of these cowboys tomorrow.
    I'm your Huckleberry...

hehe

Quote Originally Posted by nudist
    State Rep. John Pappageorge, R-Troy, 73, was quoted in July 16 editions of the Detroit Free Press as saying, ?If we do not suppress the Detroit vote, we?re going to have a tough time in this election.?

If this is not a personal attack, I don't know what is. Apparently that is fine in this forum.
    How dare you try to re-hijack my hijacked thread! You....you....DEMOCRAT!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234