Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 83
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Maybe black americans know something more than some of us here about which party is best for them.
    And maybe they just continue to believe the lies they are being told. The dems want to keep blacks poor and needy so they will always vote for the party that promises them the most, even if they never deliver.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  2. #62  
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Look at the face on that poor black girl....she's terrified of that screaming white man!

    Seriously, that picture is hilarious!
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    And maybe they just continue to believe the lies they are being told. The dems want to keep blacks poor and needy so they will always vote for the party that promises them the most, even if they never deliver.
    I believe black people think for themselves a lot more than most republicans give them credit for.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Hey Bob,
    Let me give you a familiar refrain:

    you guys lost the black vote in the last election, get over it and quit whining!


    Hey and it was not just one or two percentage points either, it was an eight to one margin.

    Kerry 88%
    Bush 11%

    Maybe black americans know something more than some of us here about which party is best for them.

    http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pag.../epolls.0.html
    Hey Cellmatrix,

    I think you misread my post. I didn't make any judgement about how black Americans as a whole should vote. I think people should vote their conscious and not based on party or race. I've also moved on since the election.

    My only point is that I think it wrong to attempt to basely defame someone's character by labelling him a racist when it is politically convenient, and then ignore legitimate racism when it is politically inconvenient. That's my beef with the NAACP.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    ...Maybe black americans know something more than some of us here about which party is best for them.
    Therein is my concern with the state of US Politics. There is the artificial segmenting of voters who seem to act in what is "best for them" and not what is "best for the country."

    Sure, a special federal grant for trumpet players would be nice to have. But, how does that benefit the nation? It doesn't. So, I don't need to establish the NAATP or any other TP-ism to lobby for such benefits and privileges.

    And, invariably when that targeted legislation like that happens, that same "block" of voters has to sacrifice something important to get that one "key" thing. For example, in the case of african-americans, abortion rights is not a key motivator. This is not a demographic group who has large numbers of abortions. In fact, most typically believe it is a bad practice. However, the political party that generally supports affirmative action, also generally supports the concept of reproductive rights. So, now to get affirmative action, you have to side with those who do not necessarily agree with your other core beliefs.

    The 2-party system is destroying our civility, and I dare say our civilization.
  7. #67  
    I felt the same way in the last election. In order to vote how I felt about the war on terror, I had to vote for Bush even though I feel strongly against his views on gay marriage. In fact, I don't even know if he really feels that strongly against it but just had to play up to that segment of the population who does in order to get elected. I was personally relieved that Kerry didn't get in based on my view of national defense but when I hear Bush talk about God and gay marriage being immoral and such, it really disturbs me to be associated with having voted for 4 more years of that. I really did want more than 2 choices last election.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    I felt the same way in the last election. In order to vote how I felt about the war on terror, I had to vote for Bush even though I feel strongly against his views on gay marriage. In fact, I don't even know if he really feels that strongly against it but just had to play up to that segment of the population who does in order to get elected. I was personally relieved that Kerry didn't get in based on my view of national defense but when I hear Bush talk about God and gay marriage being immoral and such, it really disturbs me to be associated with having voted for 4 more years of that. I really did want more than 2 choices last election.
    I agree with you in that I would have liked more than 2 choices too. The two party system definitely has its drawbacks, and lots of us just end up voting for the lesser of two evils. One alternative, which has been done in other countries, would be to have two elections. The first election would be all parties and candidates, a sort of free for all, and the second election would be a run-off between the top two candidates.

    The advantage of that would be that you would be free to vote for whomever you wanted the first round, and the power of the top two parties would be diminished somewhat. The problem is that the power of all the fringe parties who have a really out of touch agenda would be increased.

    After having spoken with people from other countries who have had this type of system, such as people from France, by and large they seem to like the system we have better than the two election runoff system that they used to have.

    There must be some type of way to improve upon our two party system I agree, I would be welcome to fair attempts to implement it, but it seems difficult. The Ross Perot/Ralph Nader type of third party never seems to have much of an effect on our politics except to act as a spoiler.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 03/11/2005 at 07:21 PM.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    Look at the face on that poor black girl....she's terrified of that screaming white man!

    Seriously, that picture is hilarious!
    CG that is a pretty funny pic.
  10. #70  
    The ironic thing about the two party system is that the US started out with a multi-party system but the other parties got weeded out over the years. It seems that it came down to a two party system as corporations began investing $$$ in parties to the point where the other parties could not compete with the big two anymore as corporate America took control of politics.

    The only way I see to fix it is either campaign contribution reform or - my hope someday that the Internet will revolutionize elections. Wouldn't it be great to vote for candidates instead of parties? I could point you at my Website and say I am not running for a party's beliefs, I am running on my own and here they are listed. Please vote for me. See ya on election day.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    Therein is my concern with the state of US Politics. There is the artificial segmenting of voters who seem to act in what is "best for them" and not what is "best for the country."

    Sure, a special federal grant for trumpet players would be nice to have. But, how does that benefit the nation? It doesn't. So, I don't need to establish the NAATP or any other TP-ism to lobby for such benefits and privileges.

    And, invariably when that targeted legislation like that happens, that same "block" of voters has to sacrifice something important to get that one "key" thing. For example, in the case of african-americans, abortion rights is not a key motivator. This is not a demographic group who has large numbers of abortions. In fact, most typically believe it is a bad practice. However, the political party that generally supports affirmative action, also generally supports the concept of reproductive rights. So, now to get affirmative action, you have to side with those who do not necessarily agree with your other core beliefs.

    The 2-party system is destroying our civility, and I dare say our civilization.
    Best post yet -- very insightful harim.

    We had Ross a few years ago, but all ya heard was the "dont throw your vote away" rap. It's gonna be tough to break the 2 party mold
  12. #72  
    i would love to see a strong third party develop, i think it would makes things much more interesting.
  13. #73  
    We have had two parties since about 1854 and it's really not likely to change. It would seem to be easier to take over one of the existing than to create a new one.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  14. #74  
    Unless you are the corporate powers that be who own these parties with their campaign contributions - how is the average guy going to go about that? It's like the Phila Mayor and City Council says - you gotta pay to play.

    Maybe I'm too cynical though. Reagan came from humble beginnings and rose to President. So maybe it is still possible - just VERY DIFFICULT. The last two canidates came from families of priviledge. I believe Clinton was as well - wasn't he a Harvard grad?
    Last edited by Bob-C; 03/12/2005 at 12:04 AM.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  15. #75  
    We dont need a third party...we have Hillary

    Well behaved women rarely make history
  16.    #76  
    Democrats at it again, the largest pro-Democrat organization appears to hate our military men and women! Amazing...

    UAW hates Marines
  17. #77  
    Boy is she hot!!!..... not!!! Claire could you put up one of your pics. There has to be something to balance that nightmare pic you posted.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  18. #78  
    Here goes
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  19. #79  
    You're Jean Gray? Holy crap!
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  20. #80  


    She's definitely her mother's daughter
    Well behaved women rarely make history
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions