Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    True. But the rest of us are in grave danger.
    ...did you say grave danger?? Pretend Im Tom Cruise and you're Jack
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    THE 1964 CIVIL RIGHTS ACT Wow, are democrats racist?
    Like most of you, I grew up believing that it was the Democrat party who were the champions of the civil rights movement of the 1960ís. At one point, a friend of mine told me that just the opposite was true.

Not satisfied simply taking his word for it, I decided to look it up for myself. I obtained the following data from Congressional Quarterly Almanac, the only true and accurate record of all activities in Congress. Records are meticulously kept for each year and copies can be found in every main branch of the public library in most major U.S. cities. Each yearís edition is the size of a New York City phone book and contains all of the years congressional activity including all votes, motions and speeches made during an entire session of Congress. In the case of civil rights legislation, the evidence is more than clear. Due to so much Democrat opposition,

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 would not have passed without the 80% of Republicans who supported it.

Here are the highlights from HR 7152, The Civil Rights Act of 1964:

The Vote

HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
    DEMOCRATS: REPUBLICANS:
    235 Members 175 Members
    Yes - 145 - 62% Yes - 137 - 78%
    No - 90 - 34% No - 38 - 22%

SENATE
    DEMOCRATS: REPUBLICANS:
    65 Members 35 Members
    Yes -42 - 66% Yes - 28 - 80%
    No - 23 - 34% No - 7 - 20%

Notable Votes:
    *Sen. Al Gore Sr. ( D-TN. )- No
    Sen. Robert Byrd ( D-W.Va. ) - No
    **Rep. Bob Dole ( R-KA ) -Yes
    *-Yes, that is the father of Al Gore, the loser of the 2000 Presidential Election.
    **-Yes, thatís the same Bob Dole that Bill Clinton attempted to paint as a racist in the 1996 Presidential Election.
    well that was 40 years ago, but still I commend those republicans for voting the way they did.

also, I commend Bush for the kind words he said about finishing the job that Dr. King started, on MLK day this year.

But why do blacks vote overwhelmingly for Democrats in all elections, because it is in their economic best interest that's why. I know republicans are on a campaign to discredit the NAACP but this institution has been a mainstream, non-radical force which has consistently worked to help the interests of its constituency, black americans. And they do not have kind words to say about the policies of the Bush administration.

So it comes down to who do you believe is speaking in the best interests of blacks, Bush or the NAACP. I would have to say the NAACP, regardless of whatever little scandals or dirt that the GOP tries to throw on it.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...g_x.htm?csp=36
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 03/09/2005 at 04:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    ...did you say grave danger?? Pretend Im Tom Cruise and you're Jack
    Wait, let me get my Jack shades on.

Is there any other kind?
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    well that was 40 years ago, but still I commend those republicans for voting the way they did.

also, I commend Bush for the kind words he said about finishing the job that Dr. King started, on MLK day this year.

But why do blacks vote overwhelmingly for Democrats in all elections, because it is in their economic best interest that's why. I know republicans are on a campaign to discredit the NAACP but this institution has been a mainstream, non-radical force which has consistently worked to help the interests of its constituency, black americans. And they do not have kind words to say about the policies of the Bush administration.
    Why do you seem to think it is in their best interest to vote Democratic? Every poll I've seen seems to support the idea of a school voucher system (among blacks), something the Dems oppose. Is that not in everyones best interest? And what economic policy are the Dems giving? Welfare??

Lastly, though maybe not radical, I hardly think the NAACP is an apolitical group.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Why do you seem to think it is in their best interest to vote Democratic? Every poll I've seen seems to support the idea of a school voucher system (among blacks), something the Dems oppose. Is that not in everyones best interest?
    I am interested to see the polls you mention. I am skeptical of vouchers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    And what economic policy are the Dems giving? Welfare??
    progressive taxation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Some more democrats and their racism. Unfortunately it's everywhere...

doonesberry btw, does anyone think this is an amusing comic strip?
    The use of the phrase "brown sugar" is evidence of racism? How do you figure? Is calling a tall red-head "big red" also racist? That sounds a bit too PC to me....
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitt
    The use of the phrase "brown sugar" is evidence of racism? How do you figure? Is calling a tall red-head "big red" also racist? That sounds a bit too PC to me....
    Brown Sugar
    (U.S. & UK) a black woman, sometimes offensive - this term is used liberally in the Rolling Stones song of the same name

Sounds like you need to look in the mirror if you don't think that's racist.
    Last edited by Advance The Man; 03/09/2005 at 06:31 PM.
    To me, the part of the Doonesberry cartoon about Rice and Bush ignoring Clark's advice about Al Queda is more sad that the brown sugar comment.
  9.    #49  
    To me, the part of the Doonesberry cartoon about Rice and Bush ignoring Clark's advice about Al Queda is more sad that the brown sugar comment.
    Appears to me the author is clearly a biggot. He might as well has used the N word.
    N word? oh yeah anyone who uses that is really ignorant. You mean nuke-u-lar right?

whoops almost forgot the smily
  11.    #51  
    My comment is a bit over the top. However, isn't the author a Bush hater? I appears his hatred of Bush brought out his inner racism. Seems like he is trying to associate racism with Bush, who is farthest from that than any other president in history if you look at who he has on his 'team'.

N word? oh yeah anyone who uses that is really ignorant. You mean nuke-u-lar right?

whoops almost forgot the smily
  12.    #52  
    Wow, this one was a shocker! **** Gephardt appears he too could be a racist. He seems so nice, such a good guy. Who knew?
  13.    #53  
    "Reverend" Al Sharpton?? Actually hadn't heard of this. He helped eight people die after some of his comments fueled a community to burn a store down.

This one is horrible.

I seriously don't think this guy is the answer to African Americans.
    it is clear that blacks overwhelmingly support democrats even though you think they shouldn't.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 03/10/2005 at 07:30 AM.
    it is clear that blacks overwhelmingly support democrats even though you think they shouldn't.
    Doesnt Bob Dylan sing "oh the times they are a changin'"
    The GOP is only trying to show the NAACP for it is, or what it has become. A subdivision of the Democratic party specializing in character assassination. In particular, it seems to target a person and if he doesn't agree with 100% of their views, they label him as a racist and attempt to completely destroy that person's character and reputation. A lot of the time it is simply because a person believes in equal rights and will call affirmative action what it is: wrong. That is enough for them to try to destroy this guy's life and label him a racist. Something that, even though it's inaccurate, tends to cling to a person's reputation for life. But who cares as long as it helps the Democratic party, right? I found that dispicable.

I don't think that "Brown Sugar" is necessarily racist in and of itself, but certainly showed bad taste in the context that Doonesbury used it. Would any white person here think it a good idea to address a co-worker as "brown sugar" in the work place? Even for a black man to use it, it at least sounds too chauvinistic for such a situation. But there were many worse comics than this during Condi's confirmation process from nationally known liberal comics that were blatantly racist. But the NAACP fell silent. Is that an organization that fights racism wherever it exists?Or just a propaganda group that knows who it works for?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    As far as Democratic racists go, I can't believe you left out Bill Clinton!?! As President, he slept with like a 1,000 women. And he wasn't too fussy with picking ones out if you know what I mean. Yet not a single, solitary one was black! Conicidence?!?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Doesnt Bob Dylan sing "oh the times they are a changin'"
    Hey Bob,
    Let me give you a familiar refrain:

you guys lost the black vote in the last election, get over it and quit whining!

Hey and it was not just one or two percentage points either, it was an eight to one margin.

Kerry 88%
    Bush 11%

Maybe black americans know something more than some of us here about which party is best for them.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pag.../epolls.0.html
  19.    #59  
    Well, in 2000 Bush only won 10% and more African Americans voted in 2004, so there was a net gain. The tide has been turning to the right for 30 years. Instead of denying, you should be looking in the mirror as a Dem to come up with a solution. And the solution isn't pointing fingers. This isn't directed at anyone specific here on OT, just a friendly suggestion.

Hey Bob,
    Let me give you a familiar refrain:

you guys lost the black vote in the last election, get over it and quit whining!

Hey and it was not just one or two percentage points either, it was an eight to one margin.

Kerry 88%
    Bush 11%

Maybe black americans know something more than some of us here about which party is best for them.

...you guys lost the black vote in the last election, get over it and quit whining!

Kerry 88%
    Bush 11%

Can you imagine if the Republicans picked that up to say 20%...you guys will never win another election
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast