Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Hey Joe are you gay?
    Doesnt matter if you are but it has been my experience that those that are the biggest proponents of gay rights are either liberal politicians or gays themselves. Most regular hetero folks don't seem to really care. Sure there are the extreme religious right that are against it, but they arent mainstream. Of course they are portayed as such by the media, I think to garner support for their cause.

I personally dont see why anyone should have rights based on their sexual orientation/preference. Beyond that it's a case of majority rules. Homosexuals are a tiny minority, so why should they get special rights? Are gays going to be added to Affirmative Action next? Pretty soon companies will have to hire a certain amount of gays to stay within govt guidelines? Where does it end? I'll tell you. When the majority has less rights than the minority.

What's next, hair color rights?

For the record I don't care what someone sexual orientation is. That in itself is no issue for me. I'm just tired of hearing about it.

Wow! That's a really sad post. Does it really matter in defending all our rights? Or should we just fit you for a Brown Shirt now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blademonkey
    Interesting, I wonder how you feel about the Jewish Holocaust of WWII? So by the same thought process, If I am appalled at the events does that mean that I must be Jewish or a liberal politician?

By your statement, they should be restrickted of the "rights" to be legally married? Because you dont see why?
    This is called discrimination (dictionary.com:"unfair treatment of a person or group on the basis of prejudice"). Your statement alone is prejudice, but good thing you dont stop there.

Are you even familiar with term: Affirmation Action? Well since you like definitions so much i'll paste it for you:
    dictionary.com: "A policy or a program that seeks to redress past discrimination through active measures to ensure equal opportunity, as in education and employment."
    wikipedia.org:"Affirmative action (US English), or positive discrimination (British English), is a policy or a program providing advantages for people of a minority group who are seen to have traditionally been discriminated against. This consists of preferential access to education, employment, health care, or social welfare."

Maybe so, maybe it's because of prejudicial comments like yours that these movements are fueled.

What's next, hair color rights?

So tired that you think they should not have rights? That's very comforting [insert sarcasm here]
    But if marriage was defined as anyone who loves someone else can get married and gays werent allowed to marry, that would be discrimination. They can marry just like anyone else can, within the definition of marriage as accepted by society. Sorry you dont like its definition, but thats the way it is.

The Jews of WWII are totally different. Don't even try to make it the same. I havent seen any concentration death camps for gays. Thats a little different than marriage.

So I guess you think that there should be reparations to blacks and native americans for past discrimination? How far back you wanna go? You cannot undo the past.

Affirmative ACtion is a policy to give unfair advantage over others based on special circumstances such as race, gender, religion or sexual preference if you have your way.

Being treated equal doesnt mean you get to cut in line because your special. It means you get to stand in line just like everyone else. If you get into the show before it fills up, good for you. If not get there earlier. Now if someone wont let you stand in line, you may have something. But as long as you follow the rules of the line, you can stand in it. If you dont like the rules start your own line.
    Last edited by Woof; 03/15/2005 at 01:52 AM.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Wow! That's a really sad post. Does it really matter in defending all our rights? Or should we just fit you for a Brown Shirt now?

Spare me, gays have the same rights as anyone in this country. The Constitution doesnt say anything about sexual preference.

The Constitution also does not define marriage, society has done that. Until society is ready to redefine it you'll just have to accept that you cant marry your boyfriend.

The Constitution also does not say you can have whatever you want because you want it.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts

You don't have to change that crowd just swap their signs for "No Interracial Marriage!" or "Seperate But Equal!"

And yet another shining example, around the globe, of why religion should be distanced from politics.
    O.K. here we go again, lets get this straight you cannot equate Racial Differences to Sexual Preference. You cannot choose to be Chinese, Black or Indian but you can choose to be gay otherwise known as BI-Sexual. You cannot have people “Turn” gay or straight.

Thus this IS a behavior, which a segment of the population would like to justify by means of taking the definition of marriage to a new low.
    Fight of domestic partnership and leave marriage alone.
    So stop using this example and make your arguments on its own ground.
    Last edited by g.711; 03/15/2005 at 01:59 AM.

I personally dont see why anyone should have rights based on their sexual orientation/preference.
    Then you are clearly in favor of gay marriage. unless you think that right is based on heterosexual orientation.
    Quote Originally Posted by nudist
    Then you are clearly in favor of gay marriage. unless you think that right is based on heterosexual orientation.

Blah, Blah, Blah, more moronic dribble.
    Hey Joe are you gay?

For the record I don't care what someone sexual orientation is. That in itself is no issue for me.
    lol sure you dont! That's almost like "I can't be a racist, I have a black friend"

For the record I'm not -- I dont even have any gay friends or relatives (well my wife has a cousin who is but we've only seen him twice in 5 years).

I do think they should have equal rights though. It's sickening that psycho christians and conservatives feel so strongly against it. "disgusting behavior", "work of the devil", etc. Gays are citizens too and stopping them from entering into some sort of legal union or whatever is an insult to our constitution and the equality we're promised by it. Because they were born different (no gayness is not learned), they cannot take advantage of the benefits married people have?
    Again back to the quote from the California judge that everyone ignored:

"The state's protracted denial of equal protection cannot be justified simply because such constitutional violation has become traditional"
    Slavery was "traditional" right?

I cant wait until the ***** eye guys are a special guest on Nascar..
    My best friend from college is gay. I had no idea, he had plenty of girlfriends. We had an ongoing bet on who would be married last, and now we joke he knew he was going to win. He is and will remain a good friend, however I'd be lying if I were to say I wasn't disappointed. I don't feel that this is a racist comment. I simply was looking forward to having family vacations with children together, etc. For the record, he is a conservative.
    I have a good friend that's gay. (Actually I have a few, both male and female.) Anyways, this one in particular is a registered Republican. You want to talk about intolerance and bigotry, you should hear the stories he tells when he lets other gay people (you know, the tolerant, understanding Left) know his political preference. Pretty sad that he must conform or else he's ridiculed and scorned.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    DA, when are you going to step up and confess your bigotry? Come on, buddy! Let the hate flow....FEEL THE POWER OF THE DARK SIDE! You DESPISE those redneck Evangelicals. DAMN those Republicans! EVIL corporate executives!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    DA, when are you going to step up and confess your bigotry? Come on, buddy! Let the hate flow....FEEL THE POWER OF THE DARK SIDE! You DESPISE those redneck Evangelicals. DAMN those Republicans! EVIL corporate executives!
    The Left aren't bigoted. They're "Enlightened"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    The Left aren't bigoted. They're "Enlightened"
    Yeah, and the right are "patriotic" lol
    Are you being a wise guy? Damn it, let me unwrap myself from the flag and remove my Jackboots...and then I'll give you a what for!

I personally dont see why anyone should have rights based on their sexual orientation/preference. Beyond that it's a case of majority rules. Homosexuals are a tiny minority, so why should they get special rights? Are gays going to be added to Affirmative Action next? Pretty soon companies will have to hire a certain amount of gays to stay within govt guidelines? Where does it end? I'll tell you. When the majority has less rights than the minority.
    It's not so much that they need "special rights"....they just want to have the equal opportunity for marriage with someone they love. The fact that they have been heavily discriminated against throughout history is indisputable, and granting them the ability to be married is giving them a "right" that, in my secular opinion, they should have had all along.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    lol sure you dont! That's almost like "I can't be a racist, I have a black friend"

For the record I'm not -- I dont even have any gay friends or relatives (well my wife has a cousin who is but we've only seen him twice in 5 years).

I do think they should have equal rights though. It's sickening that psycho christians and conservatives feel so strongly against it. "disgusting behavior", "work of the devil", etc. Gays are citizens too and stopping them from entering into some sort of legal union or whatever is an insult to our constitution and the equality we're promised by it. Because they were born different (no gayness is not learned), they cannot take advantage of the benefits married people have?
    Again back to the quote from the California judge that everyone ignored:

"The state's protracted denial of equal protection cannot be justified simply because such constitutional violation has become traditional"
    Slavery was "traditional" right?

I cant wait until the ***** eye guys are a special guest on Nascar..

Excellent post. And I do have a black friend . He's married to one of my white friends. Thanks for answering my question about being gay. I realize that was kinda out there. I admire your position, even though you have no real personal connection.
    stopping them from entering into some sort of legal union or whatever is an insult to our constitution
    No one is doing that. It's calling it marriage that is the problem. Marriage is defined as the union of a man and woman. Seems the majority doesnt want to change the definition at this point.
    Because they were born different (no gayness is not learned), they cannot take advantage of the benefits married people have?
    Agreed, it is not learned and disagreed, they can take advantage of those benefits. That isnt the goal. The goal is to redifine marriage.
    — Ed Howdershelt
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    O.K. here we go again, lets get this straight you cannot equate Racial Differences to Sexual Preference. You cannot choose to be Chinese, Black or Indian but you can choose to be gay otherwise known as BI-Sexual. You cannot have people “Turn” gay or straight.

Thus this IS a behavior, which a segment of the population would like to justify by means of taking the definition of marriage to a new low.
    Fight of domestic partnership and leave marriage alone.
    So stop using this example and make your arguments on its own ground.
    By youir logic then I can choose to discriminate against a particular religious choice.
    By youir logic then I can choose to discriminate against a particular religious choice.
    YOU should be able to discriminate against anyone.

18.    #58  
    Spare me, gays have the same rights as anyone in this country. The Constitution doesnt say anything about sexual preference.

The Constitution also does not define marriage, society has done that. Until society is ready to redefine it you'll just have to accept that you cant marry your boyfriend.

The Constitution also does not say you can have whatever you want because you want it.
    Actually, there are rights and privileges denied gay couples. I'll summarize the arguement for you. Marriage is a contract between two people which provides certain rights, (check your tax form) and it's being denied to a significant portion of the population.
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    YOU should be able to discriminate against anyone.
    So if I'm a, oh I don't know, say a cafeteria owner, I can put out a sign which says "Blacks Only"?
    Wow, racism is truly everywhere. Even the great northwest.

So if I'm a, oh I don't know, say a cafeteria owner, I can put out a sign which says "Blacks Only"?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast