Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    So the credit card companies are responsible for bankruptcy, not the consumer who spends beyond their means? That is hilarious.

Boo hoo it's not my fault I am broke. The cc companies charged me too much interest on my cards when I maxed em out and couldnt make the payment.

Obviously the idea of personal responsibility escapes you.
    Woof, I am in agreement with you on the personal responsibility issue. I also want to see corporate responsiblity. If I run a business and grant lines of credit to the masses...many of whom I know will be unable to repay me...then I should take that loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by nudist
    The exorbitant interest rates in many cases drive people to bankruptcy. REASONABLE interest rates (even if someone is late on a payment) could prevent many bankruptcies. Are you too simple minded not to realize the effect of 30% interest rates on the non-wealthy? This is one of the least intelligent points you have ever tried to make. "rolleyes"
    30% interest isn't the norm. You generally have to be a credit risk to get that. If someone is too irresponsible to curb his/her spending, especially with money they borrow, whose fault is that?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I generally agree that "declaring bankruptcy" and that whole system is pretty much B.S. and is a bailout for people w/o personal responsibility.

but -- dont you guys think credit card companies are just slightly predatory? There should be some restrictions on that crap too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    I generally agree that "declaring bankruptcy" and that whole system is pretty much B.S. and is a bailout for people w/o personal responsibility.

but -- dont you guys think credit card companies are just slightly predatory? There should be some restrictions on that crap too.
    I dunno, it's not like they're sending Vinnie and Guido over to break your kneecaps. If you have credit, you can get low interest cards. But if you're a risk, maybe you have less than perfect credit, no history, whatever, it's pretty much up to you to prove your credit worthiness.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I dunno, it's not like they're sending Vinnie and Guido over to break your kneecaps. If you have credit, you can get low interest cards. But if you're a risk, maybe you have less than perfect credit, no history, whatever, it's pretty much up to you to prove your credit worthiness.
    Dude, they send out credit cards to kids once they hit 18 -- no job, living at home, etc.. They know they're irresponsible, they'll overspend, build up debt, and the CC companies will interest/late fee them like crazy. Isn't that predatory?
    Dude, they send out credit cards to kids once they hit 18 -- no job, living at home, etc.. They know they're irresponsible, they'll overspend, build up debt, and the CC companies will interest/late fee them like crazy. Isn't that predatory?
    Hehehe..I see your point, and figured you probably meant that. But they don't send cards out. They'll send the "You're Approved!!!!" letters first. But still if you read the fine print it'll say what your interest rates and term are. So...whose to blame? The lenders, or the pimply faced teen who wants to buy a new Treo and be Ghetto Fabulous (from another thread )?

It's the jackass people who sign up for the cards and overspend, etc like I said above. I agree that people are morons and want an easy out with bankruptcy (and I agree with reforming it).

But, I was just saying the credit card companies are bastards also -- who, once your 7 year or whatever post-bankruptcy probation is over, will be the first people you get mail from -- offering you MORE cards.
    It's the jackass people who sign up for the cards and overspend, etc like I said above. I agree that people are morons and want an easy out with bankruptcy (and I agree with reforming it).

But, I was just saying the credit card companies are bastards also -- who, once your 7 year or whatever post-bankruptcy probation is over, will be the first people you get mail from -- offering you MORE cards.
    I'm actually agreeing with you, but maybe not clearly. I think the user is more responsible, but the lenders not pure either.

Kind of like if you wave a bottle of gin in front of an alcholic. You're both at fault. Even though it's the alcoholic with the problem, you're still feeding him.

yes
  10.    #130  
    Because somebody is trying to collect on a DEBT that was legally entered into, you think they're greedy?

Wow, nudist, let me borrow a few thousand dollars, and when I won't pay it back, keep to your guns and don't sue me....give me a break.

from: http://www.davidsirota.com/2005/03/u...ity-theft.html

On March 1st, Bank of America announced it had lost personal financial data of more than 1 million customers, meaning a huge amount of people might experience identity theft, including thousands of federal employees, and even potentially Senators' own staff members. Often times, when you get your identity stolen, it destroys your credit and your entire finances. That?s why two days later Sen. Bill Nelson of Florida introduced legislation to exempt debtors from tougher bankruptcy laws if their financial problems were caused by identity theft. But in a Senate apparently owned by credit card companies and banks, it was voted down by a wide margin.

Sounds just like Republicans!!!
    from: http://www.davidsirota.com/2005/03/u...ity-theft.html

On March 1st, Bank of America announced it had lost personal financial data of more than 1 million customers, meaning a huge amount of people might experience identity theft, including thousands of federal employees, and even potentially Senators' own staff members. Often times, when you get your identity stolen, it destroys your credit and your entire finances. That?s why two days later Sen. Bill Nelson of Florida introduced legislation to exempt debtors from tougher bankruptcy laws if their financial problems were caused by identity theft. But in a Senate apparently owned by credit card companies and banks, it was voted down by a wide margin.

Have you a link to this vote? Last I saw it was being proposed. And if it was indeed voted down by a wide margin as you say, since the GOP only has a small lead in the Senate, to obtain a wide margin would need help from Democrats as well.

Senate apparently owned by credit card companies and banks, it was voted down by a wide margin.

Since when do the Republicans own the Senate by a wide margin?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  13.    #133  
    Have you a link to this vote? Last I saw it was being proposed. And if it was indeed voted down by a wide margin as you say, since the GOP only has a small lead in the Senate, to obtain a wide margin would need help from Democrats as well.
    Republicans sure could have prevented it! obviously they didn't. It was a democrat who proposed the identity theft protection amendment.

belive me. I am THOROUGHLY P!SSED at every democrat who allowed this to pass!

but you guys love this legislation, so I'm sure there is no criticism of your own party.
    It's amazing how politics brings out the nastest of people

This works both ways no matter who is in office the losing side finds every tiny fault in the winner.
    Republicans sure could have prevented it! obviously they didn't. It was a democrat who proposed the identity theft protection amendment.

belive me. I am THOROUGHLY P!SSED at every democrat who allowed this to pass!

but you guys love this legislation, so I'm sure there is no criticism of your own party.
    Again, please provide me a link or at least the SB number. Last i heard this was PROPOSED, so show me the vote. And again, a WIDE margin would require both sides. So, since you claim you are pissed at the Dems who voted against it, please list them...in the spirit of TC bipartsanship.

16.    #136  
    Again, please provide me a link or at least the SB number. Last i heard this was PROPOSED, so show me the vote. And again, a WIDE margin would require both sides. So, since you claim you are pissed at the Dems who voted against it, please list them...in the spirit of TC bipartsanship.
    I will try to locate the votes because I'm also interested. This was a sensible amendment to senseless legislation and should have easily passed.

but PLEASE don't for one minute think I am bipartisan! I'm NOT. I thought my avatar was clear about that. the difference between me and your bush-groupies, is that I can't stand democrats doing the wrong thing either, but you guys give Bush a pass on EVERYTHING. He could bite the heads off live baby bunny rabbits at Easter and you'd say "but look what Clinton did with Monica!!!!"

*edit*

here is the link to the senate vote exempting identity theft as the cause of bankruptcy:

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LI...n=1&vote=00021

not one single republican supported this exemption. how compassionate! should make you all so proud.
    Last edited by nudist; 03/16/2005 at 05:17 PM.
    you guys give Bush a pass on EVERYTHING
    Now I am sure if Bush came to Orlando and slapped the crap out of you no one here would give him a pass on it. Most of us would be pissed at him for robbing us of the opportunity to do it ourselves.

Seriously though you really need to lighten up. No one here has ever said they give Bush a pass on everything he does. You on the other hand have indicated you wouldnt give him a pass no matter what he does, short of maybe suicide.

Remeber nudie, liberals are all about tolerance. You should find some.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I will try to locate the votes because I'm also interested. This was a sensible amendment to senseless legislation and should have easily passed.

but PLEASE don't for one minute think I am bipartisan! I'm NOT. I thought my avatar was clear about that. the difference between me and your bush-groupies, is that I can't stand democrats doing the wrong thing either, but you guys give Bush a pass on EVERYTHING. He could bite the heads off live baby bunny rabbits at Easter and you'd say "but look what Clinton did with Monica!!!!"
    Trust me, I don't think for a minute you have an ounce of bipartisan in you (and that's not to say it's bad.) I only asked that if the vote did happen
    (and it did) that you call out the Dems as well. Since you can't stand Dems doing wrong, and this to you is a wrong...

Secondly, what is this Bush groupie stuff? What have I given the President a pass on? You say EVERYTHING, so name off EVERYTHING I've given him a pass on please.

19.    #139  
    Trust me, I don't think for a minute you have an ounce of bipartisan in you (and that's not to say it's bad.) I only asked that if the vote did happen
    (and it did) that you call out the Dems as well. Since you can't stand Dems doing wrong, and this to you is a wrong...

Secondly, what is this Bush groupie stuff? What have I given the President a pass on? You say EVERYTHING, so name off EVERYTHING I've given him a pass on please.
    I posted the link to the votes in my previous post in an edit. I think every single democrat that voted against this amendment is a scumbag.

and I wasn't addressing the pass on bush specifically at you, insertion. you sometimes show a glimmer of sense.
    I posted the link to the votes in my previous post in an edit. I think every single democrat that voted against this amendment is a scumbag.
    I would agree it would seem a good amendment.

Although if something is proven to be a result of fraud, I don't think creditors go after you. Don't they eat the loss once proven? If so, it seems this is just one of those feel good items someone will try to attach, so they can turn around and say "See, I voted for this!!!"...similar to the flag burning amendment idea that gets brought up (and rightly defeated) every election season.
    and I wasn't addressing the pass on bush specifically at you, insertion. you sometimes show a glimmer of sense.
    Wow, coming from you, that's a colossal compliment!!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast