(cut and pasted from..)
    Reprinted from the Austin Chronicle.

· · Vol 26 · Issue 1264 · PUBLISHED 2/23/2005
    URL: http://www.citypages.com/databank/26...ticle12985.asp
    HOME: www.citypages.com

No. 1?

America by the numbers

by Michael Ventura

No concept lies more firmly embedded in our national character than the notion that the USA is "No. 1," "the greatest." Our broadcast media are, in essence, continuous advertisements for the brand name "America Is No. 1." Any office seeker saying otherwise would be committing political suicide. In fact, anyone saying otherwise will be labeled "un-American." We're an "empire," ain't we? Sure we are. An empire without a manufacturing base. An empire that must borrow $2 billion a day from its competitors in order to function. Yet the delusion is ineradicable. We're No. 1. Well...this is the country you really live in:

-The United States is 49th in the world in literacy (the New York Times, Dec. 12, 2004)....[snip]

[snipped -KR]
    Last edited by KRamsauer; 03/07/2005 at 12:19 PM.
    Sounds like migration is an option. I hope the writer finds paradise somewhere. It is rather apparent this person has a problem with this country. Now, when looking further, I see nothing positive in the quoted material. I wonder how much bigger the list of positive attributes is than the negative.

I bet in this country you can slam the government. I bet in Iran you cannot slam the country. I bet in mainland China you cannot slam the country. I bet in Cuba you cannot slam the country.

Can you express your religious view in France as openly as the US? Does any country in the world support freedom as this country does? The very freedom this country supports that allows this slob to write the trash he does.

Home ownership is very high in this country. The list far exceeds the negatives of the article.

Ben
    Last edited by bclinger; 03/06/2005 at 11:50 AM.
    Well Nudist since you are so obviously disgusted with the country you live in, when should the moving party show up? You are moving right? I am volunteering to help load your sh!t on a truck boat plane whatever. You clearly cannot see anything good about this country so you must be leaving. Let us know when ok. 2 weeks notice would be great so I can get a cheaper flight to Florida.

I for one am looking forward to not listening to all your b!tching. Don't keep us waiting, pick a date.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    a bunch of quotes from newspapers.......boy there's some real compelling information. Come on Noodey Toodey Nudist, if you're gonna bash the GOP have some real ammo......oh sorry, all your party will allow is rubber bullets.
    We're just going to hell in a handbasket...sigh
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    It is amazing how one can post something so negative without seeing the need to post something good. Yes we have problems and yes we need to make changes when changes are needed. There is no other country that provides the opportunities the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA does. Ben
    America is number one. I didn't even read the article. Didn't have to. Thank God 52% of us know America is number one.
    Nudist:

Al Franken put it best when he was criticized for making similar statements when he responded to the effect "Yes, I love my country, but I love it like an adult. A 5 year old child loves his mommy and thinks his daddy is the most heroic man in the whole world. A man loves his wife like an adult recognizing that alongside the good qualities he married her for, and that he still believes that she is the best mate for him, she (like himself and all humans) has faults and we should all strive to improve ourselves each and every day.

Throughout time people have responded to ideas that challenge their belief system (i.e. Copernicus) with things like stoning or stakes, wood and fire. If the "sacred book" is wrong about whether the sun revolves around the earth then what else might it be wrong about ? Rather than face that question and the facts surrounding it, it's easier to believe that the earth is flat, the scientist is an "evildoer" and the sun still revolves around the earth. It is "uncomfortable" to have one's belief system be challenged which is why religious fundamentalists (east and west) so often respond with violence.

September 11 was long famous for religious fundamentalism long before 2001. 144 years earlier at Mountain Meadow, Americans massacred other Americans for the crime of belonging to a different religion.

Whenever I watch a political debate and see a respondent attack the "messenger" rather than the individual statements, I usually take it as a good sign that the attacker is afraid to even take a moment to weigh the truthfullness of the statements but wants to look for an easy way to dismiss them.

Ever civilization which was "No. 1" had a precipitous fall thereafter. The main reason for that fall was that they ignored the early warning signs in front of them. The question therefore is do we recognize that our place in the world is slipping and take steps to improve things or bury our heads in the sand before we go the way of Greece, Eqypt, Rome and other "No 1's" before us.
    Edit: I feel much more than 52% feel America is number one. I figure there are many, many democrats who don't agree with far left members of their party like Nudis. So I will give a new estimate of say 70% of Americans know we are number one and 30% who are extremely lost and enamored with everything european.

Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    America is number one. I didn't even read the article. Didn't have to. Thank God 52% of us know America is number one.
    I have no problem admitting America has its problems. I do have a problem with folks who point out nothing but faults ignore anything positive and offer no solutions whatsover. Any ***** can say "hey we have a problem". How about offering a solution. Then at least you look like you are thinking about the problem and not just parroting everyone else who is whining.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    We conservatives know this country is a great country. We know this country has its problems. We know that in order to correct our problems, that we do not need the approval of the United Nations. We know that certain countries are not our friends. We know that certain countries want to see this country and in fact, the west, destroyed.

We know that this country has so many positive things about it, that we are willing to admit they exist. We do not look at bashing this country as a great things. We also support fully a rational analysis of our country and frankly, do not make a habit of calling other people Nazis.

Ben

------------------

Quote Originally Posted by freudov23
    Are you conservatives really as short sighted as you come across in your posts? What's wrong with a RATIONAL analysis of our country? Can we not strive to do better as a society? I sure hope so.
    Your quote about Democrats worrying about how bad the Republican party is - what a crock. If the Republican party is so bad, why is it winning so many races? Why are the number of minorities within the party increasing? What is it a party that looks toward the positive side of the country instead of the negative side. Why is it not a party with so many special interests that are so whacky that the silent majority does not support.

Worry? Not in the least. The Republican party of today and the Democratic party of the 50-80s far more represents the country and its people than today's Democratic party.

Ben
    America is the number one place I would want to live. I was born and raised here and I love this country.

I think that we should realize that we have problems, and to not react in a knee-jerk defensive way when they are pointed out.

I think the Franken quote is quite accurate. I think nudists points out some important areas that we should address. The infant mortality in the US is particularly disturbing, we are worse than Cuba? I think anyone who is pro-life should be outraged by this, or at least concerned.

Just because we are number one does not mean we have plenty of room for improvement.

I look forward to seeing this country evolve and get even better. We can only do that if we critically address our faults and try to improve them.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    .... We can only do that if we critically address our faults and try to improve them.
    And please Cell point out what part of nudists post does this? None as I can see. Where is the effort to improve?
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    And please Cell point out what part of nudists post does this? None as I can see. Where is the effort to improve?
    Nudist, Woof makes a point here. The post you made, while accurate, does not point to solutions. Obviously I look at your post as a first step in finding the solution to a problem, we need to acknowledge that there are problems. Now, to facilitate a dialogue here, lets start suggesting some solutions.

Here is one suggestion that I can make in the area of infant mortality, the Bush administration should approach prenatal care for pregnant mothers and child health programs with the same vigor and committment as is done for anti-abortion policies. I mean, supporting life is supporting life.

Here is an email and a link which I received about infant mortality in the world, I am reading it now and it is very informative. It is from a top medical journal and looks at this problem in depth and suggest some additional solutions. I highly recommend it to anyone:

Eight million children are either stillborn or die each year
    within the first month of life. This figure never makes news.

The issue of child survival is a moral as well as a health
    barometer of our times. The aim of the present Lancet series
    (Neonatal Survival) is to erase the excuse of ignorance for
    public and political inaction once and for all.

This series is the product of a partnership between scientists,
    health workers, and journal editors. Together we can make a
    difference to the lives of those who have no voice.

We believe that this is the most important public health
    campaign we have taken part in for a generation. It is for this
    reason that we are making this special issue available at no
    cost to all 1.1 million registered users of thelancet.com.

Simply click through this link:
    http://www.activemag.co.uk/lancet.htm
    to a digital edition of this entire 56 page special issue.
    Please also feel free to forward this email to your colleagues.
    And still no suggestion for how to make improvements. Some things never change........just can't believe "everyone" doesn't feel exactly as you do? We all must be stupid.......If that's the case, why was there no President Gore or President Kerry?
    Nudist, if you don't mind me asking, have you ever posted anything Treo-related??
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    And still no suggestion for how to make improvements. Some things never change........just can't believe "everyone" doesn't feel exactly as you do? We all must be stupid.......If that's the case, why was there no President Gore or President Kerry?
    are you talking to me?

Here is a good proposal which has recently been introduced, through the advocacy of the March of Dimes, designed to assist enhancing prenatal care to uninsured and low income mothers. I support it, do you?

http://www.marchofdimes.com/aboutus/855_2032.asp
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 03/06/2005 at 07:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    Number one in what?
    We're number one in general. The US has brought the majority of technology to this world to extend life, make things easier (and harder!), flight, space, etc. etc. Are you kidding me!

Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    And liberals don't? C'mon, golly. I am liberal and proud of my country. Yet, I hope I'd always recognize what needs fixing as well.
    Who uses 'golly'! Haven't heard that since leave it to beaver re-runs! I'm very proud of my country. I also agree about democrats, liberals, etc. That is why I edited my post. The majority of Americans, regardless of political affiliation, are proud to be american.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    are you talking to me?
    Deniro, you talking to me?
Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast