Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
  1.    #141  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    Rabid conservative professor? WOW! You mean there actually is one somewhere!
    Yup, I've seen quite a few. Mostly depends on what major you're in though.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    I was a double major in Finance and Real Estate. I'm fairly certain many of my professors were probably conservative republicans. The difference is they didn't push their political opinion or hatred on the students.
  3.    #143  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    I was a double major in Finance and Real Estate. I'm fairly certain many of my professors were probably conservative republicans. The difference is they didn't push their political opinion or hatred on the students.
    I've seen just as many that do.

From what I've seen of the CO guy though, he's quite the drama king.
    Where did you go to school? EVERY political science and english professor I had at good old Central Michigan University was liberal. The anti-SDI events I went to, where physics professors would go on about how SDI could never work were all libs. (One of these geniuses even said that merely spinning a warhead would be enough to deflect laser energy.)
  5.    #145  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    Where did you go to school? EVERY political science and english professor I had at good old Central Michigan University was liberal. The anti-SDI events I went to, where physics professors would go on about how SDI could never work were all libs. (One of these geniuses even said that merely spinning a warhead would be enough to deflect laser energy.)
    There was actually a sociology professor at UNC that was just as much an *** as the Churchill guy BUT he was conservative.
    I know very little of what goes on in CO, though I am versed on the Churchill case.....
    You dont seem to be...BTW, is that like precision wax in your hair or just flour and water??
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Since it seems the hijacking is in full effect, let me ask you this daT, and anyone else for that matter. I think we're all in agreement that Ward Churchill is just out there. If not let's assume for the sake of arguement that he is. What are your opinions of tenureship?

These guys stick around long enough, until they become tenured, and then they can pretty much say and do what they want with no fear. I don't think any teacher, unless it is part of the course should expound their political or religious beliefs -IN THE CLASS, and even then it should be in context. Out of the class, do whatever. You want to chain yourself to a redwood or attend an NRA rally, fine. However, do you think institutions of learning should be forced to "look the other way?" If someone like Ward Churchill were a CEO of a Fortune 500 company, he would probably be removed from his position. Maybe not the perfect analogy (like there really ever is), but I'm sure you get my point. Would it not be better if teachers were under contract, and thus some sort of scrutiny with at least a formal review every few years?

I know tenureship is not final, but you all but have to be a mass murderer, in order to be removed.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  8.    #148  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    You dont seem to be...BTW, is that like precision wax in your hair or just flour and water??
    That would be my yearly spring bleach.
  9.    #149  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Since it seems the hijacking is in full effect, let me ask you this daT, and anyone else for that matter. I think we're all in agreement that Ward Churchill is just out there. If not let's assume for the sake of arguement that he is. What are your opinions of tenureship?

These guys stick around long enough, until they become tenured, and then they can pretty much say and do what they want with no fear. I don't think any teacher, unless it is part of the course should expound their political or religious beliefs -IN THE CLASS, and even then it should be in context. Out of the class, do whatever. You want to chain yourself to a redwood or attend an NRA rally, fine. However, do you think institutions of learning should be forced to "look the other way?" If someone like Ward Churchill were a CEO of a Fortune 500 company, he would probably be removed from his position. Maybe not the perfect analogy (like there really ever is), but I'm sure you get my point. Would it not be better if teachers were under contract, and thus some sort of scrutiny with at least a formal review every few years?

I know tenureship is not final, but you all but have to be a mass murderer, in order to be removed.
    In retrospect I am actually glad I was exposed to the rradicals for both sides in College. It helped me sharpen my radar for people who are passionate about something for alterior motives (often ego like Churchill or Ann Coulter) and those that are paasionate about things with a strong logical base behind it.

But I don't really have an opinion on tenure. It means different things at different Institutions right?
    In retrospect I am actually glad I was exposed to the rradicals for both sides in College. It helped me sharpen my radar for people who are passionate about something for alterior motives (often ego like Churchill or Ann Coulter) and those that are paasionate about things with a strong logical base behind it.

But I don't really have an opinion on tenure. It means different things at different Institutions right?
    How were you exposed to the radicals in college? Maybe others know your background, but I'm not following you.

Regarding tenure, you definetely should have an opinion based on this thread. I think it is outdated in an era that teachers say things like Churchill for attention. Strictly based on what he has said, it's ludicrous. It's obvious to me he has no clue who hitler was. It goes for misguided folks who refer to Bush as hitler. I think a school like Colorado needs to fire someone so militant where it is impacting their wallet. You, I would assume would take the aclu stance and say let's protect academic freedom even if it's not a popular opinion. And cheers to you, that's your stance.
  11.    #151  
    How were you exposed to the radicals in college? Maybe others know your background, but I'm not following you.

Regarding tenure, you definetely should have an opinion based on this thread. I think it is outdated in an era that teachers say things like Churchill for attention. Strictly based on what he has said, it's ludicrous. It's obvious to me he has no clue who hitler was. It goes for misguided folks who refer to Bush as hitler. I think a school like Colorado needs to fire someone so militant where it is impacting their wallet. You, I would assume would take the aclu stance and say let's protect academic freedom even if it's not a popular opinion. And cheers to you, that's your stance.
    What the heck does academic freedom have to do with the aclu?
    What the heck does academic freedom have to do with the aclu?
    Thought you would know...It's university code for freedom of speech
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  13.    #153  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Thought you would know...It's university code for freedom of speech
    Ok then, yea, I would take the opinion that speech should be protected and in this case what was said is not a stretch of imagination. It's an analogy, however a tasteless one.
    Shady, it wasn't a trick question. Just was a bit surprised you said ypu didn't have an opinion on tenure.
  15.    #155  
    Shady, it wasn't a trick question. Just was a bit surprised you said ypu didn't have an opinion on tenure.
    As I said, tenure is different at different institutions so your blanket use of the term "tenure" can not be discussed.

And please drop the shady.
    That would be my yearly spring bleach.
    You seriously bleach your hair every spring? How old are you?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    [QUOTE=1911sforever]I'm talking about their working to hard to extend constitutional protections to armed enemy combatants that are sworn to kill as many Americans as they can.[QUOTE]

As much as I hate the people who attacked us, I still believe in proving someone's guilt in a court of law.

Because he wears a sheet on his head and prays to a different G-d doesn't make him an enemy combatant.

BTW,

We are talking about Jose Padilla right?
    Last edited by Bouncer; 03/08/2005 at 01:05 AM.
    This is my tagline. There are many like it but this one is mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Cmon Ben youre wasting your time. No matter what anyone says, thomas thinks the aclu is the savior of all things American. That bag over is head is firmly attached.

So you don't belive in the Bill of Rights?
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    answer me this question. do you honestly think prisoners will divulge information to us if we treat them like fellow citizens?

ummmm...............

some of them ARE fellow citizens.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    The ACLU has NEVER done anything of value for me. It limits my freedom. It limits my RIGHT to express myself. It LIMITS my RELIGIOUS freedom. It limits my ability to think for myself. It LIMITS my RIGHT to FREE speech. It limits my rights in every possible way.

It looks like you're expressing your opinions unhindered to me.

Unless the ACLU has broken down your doors by now, it looks like your rights are still intact.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast