Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 185
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    No one needs the ACLU. Our country is designed to have lawsmade by our legislature, not by our court and lawyers. Rule by nine (Supreme court) or rule by a court that can change the law through its opinion is not what our country needs. No one needs the ACLU. If you think you do, I suggest you contact your legislataive representative. Ben
    Sorry your school must have had to cut the basic civics classes. This whole concept of "legislating from the bench" is BS. The Judicial is an intentional part of our three power checks in gov't. So you can just stop with that crap now.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    Yes. They've done wonderful work representing enemy combatants bent upon killing thousands of us.

    Here's a question...is all speech morally equivalent?
    Cite.
  3.    #23  
    However, the ACLU has any number of cases they can choose to defend. Why of all cases this one? NAMBLA (and advocating sex with young boys) may be protected by free speech, but having sex with children is still a crime in this country. There is nothing positive I can think to say of that organization (NAMBLA), and to associate with them (with legal council) seems abhorrant
    You are implying that some equally relevant free speech case went un-defended. Our country is based on principals which at times require a little sacrifice like your queasiness to nambla.
  4. #24  
    You are a bit confused to say the least. My school did not cut out basic civics classes - they are not taught in today's schools. As for legislating from the bench - that is not BS, not in the lesat. The judicial is part of the three power checks as you say, however, no where in the Consitution is it given power to be above the other two. No where in the Constitution is it given legislative power or power to change the law and it specifically does that now.

    So, take a look around at the rulings that come forth. Take a look at one very recent ruling on the death sentence where foreign law is taken into consideration. Never in our country's history has the Supreme Court taken international law into consideration on something that is frankly a state issue.

    The Supreme Court is there to say yes/no on a law's consituationality, not to form its own opinion or to make it the arbitrator on what the people think.

    So, you can just stop the crap now.

    Ben

    ---------------------

    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Sorry your school must have had to cut the basic civics classes. This whole concept of "legislating from the bench" is BS. The Judicial is an intentional part of our three power checks in gov't. So you can just stop with that crap now.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    You are a bit confused to say the least. My school did not cut out basic civics classes - they are not taught in today's schools. As for legislating from the bench - that is not BS, not in the lesat. The judicial is part of the three power checks as you say, however, no where in the Consitution is it given power to be above the other two. No where in the Constitution is it given legislative power or power to change the law and it specifically does that now.

    So, take a look around at the rulings that come forth. Take a look at one very recent ruling on the death sentence where foreign law is taken into consideration. Never in our country's history has the Supreme Court taken international law into consideration on something that is frankly a state issue.

    The Supreme Court is there to say yes/no on a law's consituationality, not to form its own opinion or to make it the arbitrator on what the people think.

    So, you can just stop the crap now.

    Ben

    ---------------------

    You're talking out both sides of your mouth. The simple fact is Yes, the courts are in place to say "No" to laws which violte the constitution. This is done through interpretation of the Constitution.
  6. #26  
    Cmon Ben youre wasting your time. No matter what anyone says, thomas thinks the aclu is the savior of all things American. That bag over is head is firmly attached.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  7.    #27  
    Yea, I guess wanting free speech protected is just CRAZY TALK. Face it. You just associate the ACLU with protecting those "Commie Flag Burners" when in reality, it's not a political group but a rights gruop.
  8. #28  
    aclu would protect nambla, kkk, nazi's, anyone just to say they're protecting free speach. The group is a joke. They 'protect' the ridiculous to stay in the news. They are the "Jerry Springer" of non-profit organizations.
  9. #29  
    the aclu cries rivers over how prisoners are abused during interrogation procedures, claiming awful acts against the rights of these al qaeda and taliban and iraqi terrorists - WHO WANT TO KILL US.

    if the aclu is the bastion of justice and equal rights for all, where were they when these terrorist were hanging our soldiers from bridges for all to see?

    where were they when terrorists were beheading innocent people who had nothing to do with the war?

    where were they when they were shooting hostages execution style on video for all to see - proud of what they did?

    where was the voice of the aclu when saddam hussein was torturing and gassing his own people?

    where were they when we found 300,000 skeletons lying in crude graves in iraq?

    also, what is wrong with the ten commandments? why is it so necessary to remove such an important list of guidelines to live by?

    I think the reason the left wants to remove the ten commandments isn't so much that it has to do with God, I think its because the left cannot live up to the ten commandments!

    Id say the laws which say:
    1) thou shalt not kill
    2) thou shalt not commit adultery
    3) thou shalt not lie. etc, etc

    are some pretty good guidelines to live by! why does the aclu want to get rid of them?

    because these people are valueless and hold nothing sacred.
    its because the ten commandments raise the standards by which we should live our lives too high. by getting rid of them, its one less way THEY can tell US how to live, right, dathomas?

    the aclu, while touting themselves as the org. that ensures the rights of ALL cultures, etc, have attempted to do MORE harm by defending criminals in america than by defending the law - abiding. and they claim this ridiculous crap "in the name of freedom of speech"!

    these people are so hopelessly naive its incredible.

    .
  10. #30  
    the next move the aclu will make is to remove god from all situations in society.

    the constitution states the govt will not push or endorse any religion on the people.

    just as people of god not push their beliefs on others,

    PEOPLE WITHOUT GOD SHOULD NOT PUSH THEIR VIEWS ON ANYONE ELSE!

    the aclu's entire position on removing GOD in their arguments
    is MOOT.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    the aclu cries rivers over how prisoners are abused during interrogation procedures, claiming awful acts against the rights of these al qaeda and taliban and iraqi terrorists - WHO WANT TO KILL US.

    if the aclu is the bastion of justice and equal rights for all, where were they when these terrorist were hanging our soldiers from bridges for all to see?

    where were they when terrorists were beheading innocent people who had nothing to do with the war?

    where were they when they were shooting hostages execution style on video for all to see - proud of what they did?

    where was the voice of the aclu when saddam hussein was torturing and gassing his own people?

    where were they when we found 300,000 skeletons lying in crude graves in iraq?

    also, what is wrong with the ten commandments? why is it so necessary to remove such an important list of guidelines to live by?

    I think the reason the left wants to remove the ten commandments isn't so much that it has to do with God, I think its because the left cannot live up to the ten commandments!

    Id say the laws which say:
    1) thou shalt not kill
    2) thou shalt not commit adultery
    3) thou shalt not lie. etc, etc

    are some pretty good guidelines to live by! why does the aclu want to get rid of them?

    because these people are valueless and hold nothing sacred.
    its because the ten commandments raise the standards by which we should live our lives too high. by getting rid of them, its one less way THEY can tell US how to live, right, dathomas?

    the aclu, while touting themselves as the org. that ensures the rights of ALL cultures, etc, have attempted to do MORE harm by defending criminals in america than by defending the law - abiding. and they claim this ridiculous crap "in the name of freedom of speech"!

    these people are so hopelessly naive its incredible.

    .
    You are babbling. And no one is trying to get rid of your precious (whichever particular version you adhere to) 10 commandments. Just keeping the gov't out of religion endorsement.
  12. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    the aclu cries rivers over how prisoners are abused during interrogation procedures, claiming awful acts against the rights of these al qaeda and taliban and iraqi terrorists - WHO WANT TO KILL US.

    if the aclu is the bastion of justice and equal rights for all, where were they when these terrorist were hanging our soldiers from bridges for all to see?

    where were they when terrorists were beheading innocent people who had nothing to do with the war?

    where were they when they were shooting hostages execution style on video for all to see - proud of what they did?

    where was the voice of the aclu when saddam hussein was torturing and gassing his own people?

    where were they when we found 300,000 skeletons lying in crude graves in iraq?

    also, what is wrong with the ten commandments? why is it so necessary to remove such an important list of guidelines to live by?

    I think the reason the left wants to remove the ten commandments isn't so much that it has to do with God, I think its because the left cannot live up to the ten commandments!

    Id say the laws which say:
    1) thou shalt not kill
    2) thou shalt not commit adultery
    3) thou shalt not lie. etc, etc

    are some pretty good guidelines to live by! why does the aclu want to get rid of them?

    because these people are valueless and hold nothing sacred.
    its because the ten commandments raise the standards by which we should live our lives too high. by getting rid of them, its one less way THEY can tell US how to live, right, dathomas?

    the aclu, while touting themselves as the org. that ensures the rights of ALL cultures, etc, have attempted to do MORE harm by defending criminals in america than by defending the law - abiding. and they claim this ridiculous crap "in the name of freedom of speech"!

    these people are so hopelessly naive its incredible.

    .
    Treobk as much as I always disagree with your views . I agree with you here. Which version of Ten Commandments would you like hung far and wide for all to see? The Catholic version, the hebrew version, the protestant, The first tables of stone (Ex. 20), or The second tables of Stone. You know what since there are so many of them maybe we should just go with The Eightfold Path of the Buddhist. How does that sound? Why don't we just hang all the religons of the world for all to see? This way we are not favoring one religon over another.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    the next move the aclu will make is to remove god from all situations in society.

    the constitution states the govt will not push or endorse any religion on the people.

    just as people of god not push their beliefs on others,

    PEOPLE WITHOUT GOD SHOULD NOT PUSH THEIR VIEWS ON ANYONE ELSE!

    the aclu's entire position on removing GOD in their arguments
    is MOOT.
    The absence of your religious beliefs in gov't institutions is not an endorsement of atheism. Can your particular faith not exist without the gov't waiving it around?
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    aclu would protect nambla, kkk, nazi's, anyone just to say they're protecting free speach. The group is a joke. They 'protect' the ridiculous to stay in the news. They are the "Jerry Springer" of non-profit organizations.
    Yea! Protecting the rights of those christys to play john the baptist in the park is just a publicity stunt.

    Did you EVEN READ the article starting this thread. Did you READ what the ACLU spokesperson said? Nope Ya didn't.
  15. #35  
    answer me this question. do you honestly think prisoners will divulge information to us if we treat them like fellow citizens?

    do you really think treating them like gold will scare them into talking?

    sometimes, in times of war, its necessary to get tough with these prisoners, if you want to get ahead.
    but with people like the aclu, they believe we should give these slugs first class treatment even though they plot to kill us.

    look, all this really is, is an attempt to undermine president bush's war strategy. these are just attempts to make bush fail.

    if you are so against preemptive attacks, why did you not condemn president truman when he carried out hiroshima? there were no such criticisms of that action?

    I believe these aclu groups are, for the most part, hypocrits of the highest order. they serve mostly to come to defense of criminals, oppose the traditional culture, and seek to undermine and sabotage the very interests of the country they claim to be fighting for. bad for america.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    answer me this question. do you honestly think prisoners will divulge information to us if we treat them like fellow citizens?

    do you really think treating them like gold will scare them into talking?

    sometimes, in times of war, its necessary to get tough with these prisoners, if you want to get ahead.
    but with people like the aclu, they believe we should give these slugs first class treatment even though they plot to kill us.

    look, all this really is, is an attempt to undermine president bush's war strategy. these are just attempts to make bush fail.

    if you are so against preemptive attacks, why did you not condemn president truman when he carried out hiroshima? there were no such criticisms of that action?

    I believe these aclu groups are, for the most part, hypocrits of the highest order. they serve mostly to come to defense of criminals, oppose the traditional culture, and seek to undermine and sabotage the very interests of the country they claim to be fighting for. bad for america.
    jeebus. Do you even read your own posts? Hiroshima a pre-emptive strike? And please cite what prisoners you are referring to regarding the ACLU.

    Also, yes, I have a problem with a presidency that thinks it's ok to scoop people up off the street and strip them of their citizenship rights and take them to another country to "interrogate".
  17. #37  
    "How does that sound? Why don't we just hang all the religons of the world for all to see? This way we are not favoring one religon over another. "

    why must you tie religion onto the ten commandments? It doesn't matter what version they are, the ten commandments are good principles to live by. other religions have their versions of them. it just so happens that OUR version of the ten commandments was the one which our country was founded with, so its appropriate that we leave THIS VERSION in place. its our heritage.

    its not offending anyone. and if there are other "versions" of such commandments which essentially state the same thing, why should OUR version offend anyone at all?

    any why should we put some buddhist version up, nrg? america wasn't founded by buddhists, was it? that's ridiculous.

    what is wrong with keeping our heritage in place, dathomas, nrg?

    why the hell would the ten commandments offend anyone? can you answer that?
  18. #38  
    "I have a problem with a presidency that thinks it's ok to scoop people up off the street and strip them of their citizenship rights and take them to another country to "interrogate"

    dathomas, how do you presume we interrogate then? are you saying we could get them to answer all of our questions over a warm cup of coffee, then?

    tell me, what better method of interrogation is there which will more effectively get them to talk. im very interested in what you have to say.
  19. #39  
    " Do you even read your own posts?"


    do you even read yours? the aclu is far from worthy of any level of acclaim.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Cite.
    Did your Google subscription lapse?

    Try "ACLU Guantanamo" for search parameters.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions