Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I was just in the middle of updating my reply when you replied...

Yes, you want Windows to perform the assignment of IRQs for Plug and Play devices, not the hardware (what you end up getting is a literal fight between hardware and software-- one will keep changing the other).

If the conflict wasn't as severe as hanging your system, what I would expect is a combination of what you're initially seeing (the System properties not showing any conflicts) and the System properties showing a conflict after one of the devices becomes active.

Hope that helps.
  2.    #22  
    Originally posted by ProjectZero
    I was just in the middle of updating my reply when you replied...
    this has got me worried so i'm checking this thread as often as i can

If the conflict wasn't as severe as hanging your system, what I would expect is a combination of what you're initially seeing (the System properties not showing any conflicts) and the System properties showing a conflict after one of the devices becomes active.

Hope that helps.
    I'll take a look at my BIOS when i get home and make sure that there is no hardware trying to set IRQs. The manual i have for my motherboard says it can handle USB ports but doesn't say anything about Win98 (built in 1996) however, i've been running Win98 for about a year now.

Thank you VERY much for your help. All of you don't realize how much help this is. it really helps to get useful information and bounce problems/ideas of people who understand what i'm talking about. I will keep you posted, if you see a post from me over the weekend, it means i got the modem working with the video card and everything is working properly.

Until then, i think i've discovered a use for my visor. I'll be checking my email gack @ mindspring . com for any additional help.

Thanks!
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12