3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    what? how?
    Who are you refering to?
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    Yes. This is grandstanding, just like when Reagan said, "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!". Or like when Kennedy said that we would bear any burden, pay any price, etc. Or like when Clinton said, "I did not have sex with that woman, Ms. Lewinsky".
    Exactly!! Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Exactly!! Thank you.
    Looks like you're still the only one thinking he's grandstanding, instead of standing up against an evil regime. This guy you quoted was making a joke.
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Looks like you're still the only one thinking he's grandstanding, instead of standing up against an evil regime.
    See post #17

Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    This guy you quoted was making a joke.
    Joke or not he hit the nail on the head.
    Syria has been saying they will pull out of Lebanon since the 80's.

Why would anyone believe them now.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Syria has been saying they will pull out of Lebanon since the 80's.

Why would anyone believe them now.
    NRG believes Syria, China, North Korea and Iran.
    Oh! Yunno thats really something he should have in his signature. Save a lot of headaches.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    See post #17

And your party continues to lurch leftward toward irrelevancy.

I'm really looking forward to watching the Party of the Left and the Far Left shut down the senate in response to the Republlican's changing judicial confirmation rules.
    nrg, look, your party is dying out. the signs are everywhere. there are no encouraging changes on the horizon for you to be heartened by either, so all you have left are these useless, transparent attacks on the republican party, who is quite frankly, "cleaning your clocks." try as you may, nrg, i believe your party is drifting further and further out to sea, and there`s no one of worth at the helm. bon voyage, democrats.

US NEWS AND WORLD REPORT. march 2005
    page 60

on society: by john leo

can liberalism survive?

Liberalism is now bookless and dying. The lack of new ideas and the utter absence of influential liberal thinkers is quite frankly, obvious.

No real breakthrough in liberal thought and programs has occurred since the New Deal, giving liberalism its nostalgic, reactionary cast.

Worse, their fundamental value is that society should have no fundamental values, except for a pervasive relativism that sees all values as equal.

modern liberalism, says Harvard political philosopher Michael Sandel, has emptied the national narrative of its civic resources, putting religion outside the public square and creating a value-neutral "procedural republic"

An old hero of liberalism, John Dewey said in 1897, that the practical problem of modern society is the maintenance of the spiritual values of civilization. not much room in liberal thought for that now.

liberals have become the no-values culture

The failure to perceive the importance of community has SERIOUSLY wounded liberalism and undermined its core principles. So has the strong tendency to convert moral and social questions into issues of individual rights, usually constructed and MASSAGED BY JUDGES to place them beyond the reach of majorities and the normal democratic process.

since nov 2, the withering contempt of liberals for ordinary americans has been truly astonishing. voting for bush gave quite average americans a chance to feel superior.

NRG, here is the best description of your current plight.. read below...

"we are seeing the bitterness of elites who wish to lead, confronted by MULTITUDES who do not wish to follow. "

many americans notice that liberalism nowadays lacks the vocabulary of right and wrong, declines to discuss virtue except in SNICKERING terms, and seems INCREASINGLY HOSTILE to prevailing moral sentiments.

(this captures the essence of nudist`s and now just recently, nrg`s posts)

consider the breakdown of universities. the fortresses of the 1960s cultural liberals and their progeny. students are taught that objective judgments are impossible. all knowledge is compromised by issues of power and bias. therefore there is no way to come to judgement about anything, since judgment itself rests on quicksand.

this principle, however, is suspended when the united states and western culture are discussed, because the west is essentially evil and guilty of endless crimes.

BETTER TO DECLARE A VAGUE TRANSNATIONAL IDENTITY AND ADMIRATION FOR THE UNITED NATIONS.

the campuses indulge in heavy coercion and indoctrination. a sign of the times: The University of California`s academic assembly eliminated the distinction between " interested" and "disinterested" scholarship by a 45-3 vote.

the campuses are politicized, and they dont care who knows it. Harvard is all atwitter because its president ran afoul of local orthodoxy, suggesting, ever so tentatively, that SEXUAL DIFFERENCES MIGHT BE A FACTOR IN CAREERS IN SCIENCE.

in their bafflement over rejection of their product, liberals have been lacing their speeches with religious phrases and asking mainstream americans to vote their economic interests by rejecting republican fat cats.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, IT WILL TAKE A BIT MORE THAN THAT.

nrg, i believe the fat lady is on cue. the democrats are leaving the building. thankyou and goodnight.
    Last edited by treobk214; 03/02/2005 at 10:13 PM.

- nrg

"we are seeing the bitterness of elites who wish to lead, confronted by MULTITUDES who do not wish to follow. "
    nice post bk
    — Ed Howdershelt
  12. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Sure glad I live in Canada where liberalism is alive and well.
    ya, lucky you
    — Ed Howdershelt
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    And your party continues to lurch leftward toward irrelevancy.

I'm really looking forward to watching the Party of the Left and the Far Left shut down the senate in response to the Republlican's changing judicial confirmation rules.
    Who's party?
  15. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I like how all of you have decided to attack the democratic party instead of addressing the issue I have put forth to you all. Too bad I am not a democrat and the you can not melt away the issue with partisan rhetoric. This (granstanding) is just opinion of mine, then you good folks decide to attack the (D) party even though I am an NPA (NO PARTY AFFILATION). You silly people, attack the issue not the person that brought it forth. When you can do this, then we will be able to debate.

Now let's address you folks.
    Well, I never attacked the Democratic Party, or even you for that matter. Merely said I felt it wasn't grandstanding, and gave my reasons.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  17. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    nrg, look, your party is dying out. the signs are everywhere. there are no encouraging changes on the horizon for you to be heartened by either, so all you have left are these useless, transparent attacks on the republican party, who is quite frankly, "cleaning your clocks." try as you may, nrg, i believe your party is drifting further and further out to sea, and there`s no one of worth at the helm. bon voyage, democrats.

US NEWS AND WORLD REPORT. march 2005
    page 60

on society: by john leo

can liberalism survive?

Liberalism is now bookless and dying. The lack of new ideas and the utter absence of influential liberal thinkers is quite frankly, obvious.

No real breakthrough in liberal thought and programs has occurred since the New Deal, giving liberalism its nostalgic, reactionary cast.

Worse, their fundamental value is that society should have no fundamental values, except for a pervasive relativism that sees all values as equal.

modern liberalism, says Harvard political philosopher Michael Sandel, has emptied the national narrative of its civic resources, putting religion outside the public square and creating a value-neutral "procedural republic"

An old hero of liberalism, John Dewey said in 1897, that the practical problem of modern society is the maintenance of the spiritual values of civilization. not much room in liberal thought for that now.

liberals have become the no-values culture

The failure to perceive the importance of community has SERIOUSLY wounded liberalism and undermined its core principles. So has the strong tendency to convert moral and social questions into issues of individual rights, usually constructed and MASSAGED BY JUDGES to place them beyond the reach of majorities and the normal democratic process.

since nov 2, the withering contempt of liberals for ordinary americans has been truly astonishing. voting for bush gave quite average americans a chance to feel superior.

NRG, here is the best description of your current plight.. read below...

many americans notice that liberalism nowadays lacks the vocabulary of right and wrong, declines to discuss virtue except in SNICKERING terms, and seems INCREASINGLY HOSTILE to prevailing moral sentiments.

(this captures the essence of nudist`s and now just recently, nrg`s posts)

consider the breakdown of universities. the fortresses of the 1960s cultural liberals and their progeny. students are taught that objective judgments are impossible. all knowledge is compromised by issues of power and bias. therefore there is no way to come to judgement about anything, since judgment itself rests on quicksand.

this principle, however, is suspended when the united states and western culture are discussed, because the west is essentially evil and guilty of endless crimes.

BETTER TO DECLARE A VAGUE TRANSNATIONAL IDENTITY AND ADMIRATION FOR THE UNITED NATIONS.

the campuses indulge in heavy coercion and indoctrination. a sign of the times: The University of California`s academic assembly eliminated the distinction between " interested" and "disinterested" scholarship by a 45-3 vote.

the campuses are politicized, and they dont care who knows it. Harvard is all atwitter because its president ran afoul of local orthodoxy, suggesting, ever so tentatively, that SEXUAL DIFFERENCES MIGHT BE A FACTOR IN CAREERS IN SCIENCE.

in their bafflement over rejection of their product, liberals have been lacing their speeches with religious phrases and asking mainstream americans to vote their economic interests by rejecting republican fat cats.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, IT WILL TAKE A BIT MORE THAN THAT.

nrg, i believe the fat lady is on cue. the democrats are leaving the building. thankyou and goodnight.
    Unbiased, reporting please. Not this right leaning trash (John Leo).
  18. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Well, I never attacked the Democratic Party, or even you for that matter. Merely said I felt it wasn't grandstanding, and gave my reasons.
    Sua, you know this wasn't directed at you. The people this addresses know who they are. You have a differing opinion and that is good. But as you well know, it wasn't directed at you. (Or I would hope you know, the word "All" is a little to inclusive )
  19. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    ya, lucky you
    Woof, I sense a little animosity in your fonts.
    Sua, you know this wasn't directed at you. The people this addresses know who they are. You have a differing opinion and that is good. But as you well know, it wasn't directed at you. (Or I would hope you know, the word "All" is a little to inclusive )
    Hehehe, well actually I wasn't sure if I was a part of that group or not. That's why I asked. No worries then!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast