Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Afraid of unplanned questions, so he chickens out. Pitiful!

From SpiegleOnline:

"With a Hush and a Whisper, Bush Drops Town Hall Meeting with Germans

During his trip to Germany on Wednesday, the main highlight of George W. Bush's trip was meant to be a "town hall"-style meeting with average Germans. But with the German government unwilling to permit a scripted event with questions approved in advance, the White House has quietly put the event on ice. Was Bush afraid the event might focus on prickly questions about Iraq and Iran rather than the rosy future he's been touting in Europe this week?
    To avoid that messy scenario, the White House requested that rules similar to those applied during Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice's visit two weeks ago also be used in Mainz."
    Probably thought leftwing wing conspirators would be throwing accusations out instead of questions from objective people. Don't blame him.
    Geez, quote an passage from an online source, can't even spell that !

http://www.spiegel.de

Must take a village, huh ?
    The title of this thread would be similar to...
    "Chirac refuses to be interviewed by Sean Hannity"
    "Hillary debunks Limbaugh's offer to be on show"

Really, this isn't news. I am biting my tongue, no personal attacks...but a few of us on this OT forum need to stop posting the obvious.
    It's pretty sad when he is afraid to take real questions from real people that he cannot control. Good for Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    The title of this thread would be similar to...
    "Chirac refuses to be interviewed by Sean Hannity"
    "Hillary debunks Limbaugh's offer to be on show"
    The difference is that the two you mention above would never agree to an interview with either Sean or Rush. Bush did agree to go to Germany for this 'Town Hall Mtg' and wiggled out because he couldn't control his audience. Does this sound right to you?
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    Does this sound right to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Yes
    Why have a free society if you can't have a free society?
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    You are changing the subject. It's not a question of freedom. We both know the whole thing would be attack questions, nothing of substance. Only infammatory rhetoric that has a strong lib basis. Useless. Glad he didn't give the media a bone. They would of planted a dozen questions.

Quote Originally Posted by nudist
    Afraid of unplanned questions, so he chickens out. Pitiful!

From SpiegleOnline:

"With a Hush and a Whisper, Bush Drops Town Hall Meeting with Germans

During his trip to Germany on Wednesday, the main highlight of George W. Bush's trip was meant to be a "town hall"-style meeting with average Germans. But with the German government unwilling to permit a scripted event with questions approved in advance, the White House has quietly put the event on ice. Was Bush afraid the event might focus on prickly questions about Iraq and Iran rather than the rosy future he's been touting in Europe this week?
    To avoid that messy scenario, the White House requested that rules similar to those applied during Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice's visit two weeks ago also be used in Mainz."
    Many presidents before "W", and many after, will do the same thing.
    Have pre-filtered questions for them to answer correctly, and yes for that matter, not end up with egg on their face.

The debates have been that way since I can remember.

Society is scripted.......sshhhh......don't tell.......
    It's pretty sad when he is afraid to take real questions from real people that he cannot control. Good for Germany.

The difference is that the two you mention above would never agree to an interview with either Sean or Rush. Bush did agree to go to Germany for this 'Town Hall Mtg' and wiggled out because he couldn't control his audience. Does this sound right to you?
    Many presidents before "W", and many after, will do the same thing.
    Have pre-filtered questions for them to answer correctly, and yes for that matter, not end up with egg on their face.

The debates have been that way since I can remember.

Society is scripted.......sshhhh......don't tell.......
    There is no free society, truly......it's an illusion

Last edited by dlbrummels; 02/23/2005 at 02:21 PM.
    My point is, he should have never agreed to go to Germany for a 'Town Hall Mtg' if he planned to control the questions being asked. Like I said 'Good for Germany' for telling him 'No' which seems to be something we can't tell him here.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    It's sad that it's obvious cause Bush has never had a Town Hall Meeting in the U.S. (referring to the supposed town hall meetings with the swear allegiance to republicans, yes there was one town hall type meeting during the election)

As an American, It would have interested me to see the general attitude of the Germans in their questions. But alas, for some of us it's not a "World Community" philosophy but more of a "We don't want the World, just your half." one.
    There is no free society, truly......it's an illusion
    Gawd, how boring.
    Never boring, but so true !
    Yes, dismissive, pseudo-intellectual statements are boring.

BTW Advance LOVE the sig and the avatar!
    Not really, we are just one big family here debating.
    The expectations of American political leaders are fundamentally different from those of Europe. Not better. Not worse. Different. Look at the way our executive addresses the legislature: in a speech where the most feedback the audience has is an applause. However, in the English system, the executive is down there with his binder taking a beating from the opposition on any issue they choose to bring up.
    It's a limited edition for me. If you want it, copy mine and I'll go back to my old sig.

Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    BTW Advance LOVE the sig and the avatar!
    Just poking fun. I know you think it's insulting to Dean. Actually, it's why he has so much support.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast