Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    At a Senate hearing on Fraud and Corruption:

Senator Dorgan: "To see this kind of waste and this kind of corporate culture say, ?What the hell, it?s just the American taxpayer- stick it to ?em...? Shame on them, shame on them. And shame on those who refuse to investigate... if we?re paying $2.60 today for gasoline [in Iraq], it ought to stop this afternoon."

Details of the corruption:

Halliburton has reportedly overcharged us $100 million dollars for fuel. They charged the US taxpayers $2.64 per gallon to import gasoline from Kuwait to Iraq, $1 more than the going rate. (Note- before the war, Iraqis bought gas for about a nickel per gallon.)
    Halliburton charged for 42,000 meals per day when it only delivered 14,000 per day. "That?s not a snafu, that?s cheating," said Dorgan.
    Buyers were instructed to purchase from ?preferred suppliers? using purchase orders less than $2,500. (because these were not audited)
    Instructed not to use spreadsheets to avoid generating any kind of electronic trail.
    KBR managers frequently used phrases like, "don?t worry about the price, it?s cost plus"
    Cost Plus contracts gave no motivation to keep costs down since the higher the price, the more $$ they made.
    Halliburton has ?earned? $9 billion in Iraq thus far.
    Steve Ellis of Taxpayers for Common Sense called for a War Profiteering Committee to be formed. During World War II the Truman Committee was launched with $15,000, it uncovered the same system of cost-plus contracts and saved $15 billion.

NO REPUBLICANS ATTENDED THE HEARING.
    Another copy and paste thread...

I'm a Democrat, here are my liberal thoughts and agenda...

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, I'm a a proud Democrat and Liberal!!!!!!!! Here are my thoughts...Haliburton, Chimp President, Ahhhhhhhhhhh Rush Limbaugh is fat, Neocons, Ahhhhhhhhhh, stole the election, stupidest President ever, Ahhhhhhhhhh, where are the wmd's, Bush was behind 911, Ahhhhhhhhh, Bush is worse than Hitler, Bush cronies are thiefs, Republicans hate blacks, Republicans will steal Social Security, Ahhhhhhhhhhh, Rove is the devil, George W. Chist, Ahhhhhhhhh, Michael Moore is my President, Clinton having sex under the desk is nothing to Bush being a murderer, Annan is my President, Ahhhhhhhhh, I'm moving to Canada, USSA, Bush Lied = Troops Died, Iraq is the new Vietnam, Abu Ghraib scandal is worse than terrorist beheadings, 54% of USA are wrong, Ahhhhhhhhh, we'll win with Gore, we'll win with Dean, we'll win with Kerry....we'll win with Hillary. Ahhhhhhhhh help us France!
    where's the link?
    Now you have me wondering. Who's worse....Halliburton or Diebold. Diebold or Halliburton. Hmmmm
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    What did Diebold do that was so bad?
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    What did Diebold do that was so bad?
    miscounted the votes on unverifiable paperless electronic voting machines.
    As far as Halliburton is concerned,

According to Pentagon auditors, they overcharged the US military about $108 million dollars in fuel sales to Iraq.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...lliburton_dc_7

If someone was skimming money off of work that I was paying for, I would fire them in a heartbeat.
    Agreed, but that's not Bush's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    As far as Halliburton is concerned,

According to Pentagon auditors, they overcharged the US military about $108 million dollars in fuel sales to Iraq.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...lliburton_dc_7

If someone was skimming money off of work that I was paying for, I would fire them in a heartbeat.
    $108 million in overcharges? In a how many BILLION dollar contract? Also, has Haliburton had a chance to contest these findings, or are we just running on what Nostrilitus Waxman leaked to the media?

This will blow over, just like all the rest of the charges.

Get over it, W haters. Your boys lost. Twice. Your extremism continues to push America to the right.
    hehe you got the TC-Republidrones riled up and belligerent again

Say nothing negative about the current regime or you shall be called names. There's no such thing as challenge authority here. GWB is protecting us from terrorists he can do no wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    $108 million in overcharges? In a how many BILLION dollar contract? Also, has Haliburton had a chance to contest these findings, or are we just running on what Nostrilitus Waxman leaked to the media?
    What is it now, like 10 billion? How much of that is profit for them tho... 500 million maybe? umm plus or minus a $108 MM bonus.

That's quite a significant portion of their net.
    From what I recall, the HAL contracts are cost plus zero with a 2% contingent bonus.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever

This will blow over, just like all the rest of the charges.

Get over it, W haters. Your boys lost. Twice. Your extremism continues to push America to the right.
    I am an extremist for bringing this up? I would venture to say most people around the country would not jump to defend some company who was skimming over a hundred million off us, off our military fighters in Iraq. I am sorry but you are the extremist in this case.

Haliburton of course says they do nothing wrong, but it is the pentagon auditors whom I trust. Nostrilitus is just the messenger.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 03/15/2005 at 05:25 PM.
    hehe, who called anyone a name.

Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    hehe you got the TC-Republidrones riled up and belligerent again

Say nothing negative about the current regime or you shall be called names. There's no such thing as challenge authority here. GWB is protecting us from terrorists he can do no wrong.
    OPI Properties Inc., a subsidiary of a Swiss company, pleads guilty in federal court in East St. Louis.

A subsidiary of the Swiss pharmaceutical company Novartis agreed Friday to pay nearly $50 million in criminal and civil fines to settle claims that it violated Medicare's anti-kickback rules.

It was one of several medical firms snagged in an 18-month sting, dubbed "Operation Headwaters," launched in 1999 in Swansea. The investigation exposed suppliers who skirted rules to try to drum up business for feeding pumps and other products used to nourish people who cannot feed themselves. Often these are nursing home residents whose medical bills are paid by the government.

That's almpst half of what you're talking about Haliburton and they arent even an American company. HHmmmm
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Hey I am glad that you Republidrones (I like that term, its kind of endearing isn't it?) are finally starting to recognize white collar crimes. They are an incredible drain on our economy. Look at WorldCom, Ebbers was found guilty on all counts in an 11 Billion dollar fraud case.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/fc?cid=3...s&cat=WorldCom

Ken Lay is next
    Re: first post.

Of course every company nudist has ever worked for is perfect in all they do.

Somehow I doubt that. Of course I am assuming nudist works or has worked. Then again his nudity my be the result of a nonproductive career. WHo knows?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    i dont think nudist is employed at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Hey I am glad that you Republidrones (I like that term, its kind of endearing isn't it?) are finally starting to recognize white collar crimes.
    That's a somewhat ridiculous statement, is it not? Crime is crime. Doesn't matter to me if it's Bernard Ebbers or some two bit crack addict stealing for his next high. Who said anything against not recognizing white-collar crime???
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Good for you Sua.

Maybe I am wrong if I feel that traditionally republicans have looked the other way at white collar crime. I guess I am stereotyping and I apologize if any offense was taken by those here.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see the reaction to Ken Lay's indictment. Personally I suspect he is guilty, but I will keep an open mind. As a Californian, I blame Enron for a lot of our energy crisis, even though Gray Davis is a doofus.

And I resent the Bush admins turning a blind eye when California was asking for help in the situation. It does not help to know that Lay was a big Bush supporter and actually a friend of Bush's although now Bush is now trying to distance himself.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings, I am glad you feel the way you do about corporate crime, its a major problem nowadays.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast