Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Re: corporate crime --

Has anyone had to deal with any Sarbannes-Oxley compliance stuff at work? If you're in finance or IT in any public company, you probably have. A huuuuuuuuge hassle but good for everyone in the long run.

http://news.com.com/Sarbanes-Oxley+c...3-5465172.html
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Maybe I am wrong if I feel that traditionally republicans have looked the other way at white collar crime. I guess I am stereotyping and I apologize if any offense was taken by those here.
    I think it is easy for you to say that because you speak without any real regard for the facts sometimes. Since 1986 False Claims Act judgments and settlements against fraud feasors have totaled over $12 billion.

"The False Claims Act is the single most important tool U.S. taxpayers have to recover the billions of dollars stolen through fraud by U.S. government contractors every year.

Under the False Claims Act, 31 U.S.C. §§ 3729-3733, those who knowingly submit, or cause another person or entity to submit, false claims for payment of government funds are liable for three times the government’s damages plus civil penalties of $5,500 to $11,000 per false claim."

Gee cell...it appears the DOJ goes after everybody they can...regardless of political stripe.

http://www.taf.org/top20.htm

Seems most fraud involves healthcare companies. Doctors must be crooks I guess.
    Last edited by clairegrrl; 03/15/2005 at 09:48 PM.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    claire you know I am a doctor so it is obvious you are trying to insult me. I will not play your silly little games, sorry.
    Hey I am glad that you Republidrones (I like that term, its kind of endearing isn't it?)...
    It seems that trying to insult people is high on your list. That doesnt change the fact that it is healthcare companies that have defrauded Medicare for billions of $$. Secretaries dont give unnesessary tests to patients...doctors do.

Pretty silly game...isnt it
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    It seems that trying to insult people is high on your list. That doesnt change the fact that it is healthcare companies that have defrauded Medicare for billions of $$. Secretaries dont give unnesessary tests to patients...doctors do.

Pretty silly game...isnt it
    Claire!! I agree with you!!! Great scott stop the presses. I am actually organizing an effort with the ACR to get non-radiologists out of the diagnostic imaging (i.e. MRI, CT, etc.). It is (self-referrals) that is a major drain on the Medicare system. If you care to see some data on this I am sure I can point you in the right direction. I would like to see NO doctors involved in labs, diagnostic imaging, nuc. med, etc..
    I think people can look at this thread and decide for themselves who is attacking whom here. anyway when I go to the clinic I give patients the best health care I can possibly provide them. Often I find myself battling health care organizations who try to make me compromise my care in the interest of saving them money at the expense of the best interests of the patient. I teach this to my med stdents and residents, to place the patient's interests above those of the HMOs and insurance companies. The day I am unable to do this will be the day I will retire from clinical practice. Anyway what does this have to do with corporate crime?
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Claire!! I agree with you!!! Great scott stop the presses. I am actually organizing an effort with the ACR to get non-radiologists out of the diagnostic imaging (i.e. MRI, CT, etc.). It is (self-referrals) that is a major drain on the Medicare system. If you care to see some data on this I am sure I can point you in the right direction. I would like to see NO doctors involved in labs, diagnostic imaging, nuc. med, etc..
    I just thought it was interesting that of the top 20 fraud cases, 17 were healthcare companies or pharmaceutical companies.
    ...Anyway what does this have to do with corporate crime?
    If medicare fraud isnt a corporate crime, what's your definition??
    If medicare fraud isnt a corporate crime, what's your definition??
    You have called me a hypocrite about being environmentally conscientious, calling my university hypocritical in the same manner. now you are trying to accuse me of being hypocritical in that I am against corporate crime but somehow I am being put in the position of defending medicare fraud?

It seems like the old attack the messenger scenario is one of your favorite ploys here. A time honored tradition.

And how does saying the word republidrone compare to all of what you have said about democrats in 90% of all of your posts. I dare say it pales in comparison. But lets talk about corporate crime OK?

Well I hate to disappoint your attempts to discredit me once again, but I totally agree with you that medicare fraud is just as bad as corporate crime and if you want to call them the same thing, that is fine with me. It really is sad when HMOs and insurance, and for profit hospitals see the need to put money over the best health of their patients. Most of the people making the decisions at the top levels of those organizations are CEO businessmen and women, but some are doctors.

I am for locking up whomever they can catch doing this, individual doctors, corporations all of them. There are a lot of aspects of the medical profession that I disagree with. The AMA for instance, do you know what their top priority is? It is making sure that doctors continue to earn good money. Ensuring good patient care is second to that. This is why I have never been nor plan to be a member of this organization. There are some doctors who are more interested in making a buck than they are in helping their patients. Those kind of doctors I have no sympathy for, and I think I agree completely with you on this point.

Fortunately many and I would like to think that most doctors really are empathetic good hearted people who have their patients best interests always in mind. I still am very proud to be a physician and feel very fortunate to be able to help people in such important aspects of their lives, very fortunate indeed. That is what motivates me in taking care of patients, if I was interested in making more money I would go into private practice where I could probably make double what I am making now.

This is an example of how one can be proud of something, but see flaws in it that can be fixed. It is just like our country, for someone to find flaws with it, does not mean they do not love their country, it means they want to make it better. I think that this democradrone and the others on this forum are not hateful people, we just want to see our country be the best it can.
    You have called me .....
    I must be a ventriloquist. You have me saying things and I have never even moved my mouth. I certainly have never insinuated you were a hypocrite. If you have those feelings, they must come from within. What I have said is that you make statements that are not accurate, and you pass opinion off as fact.

I’m impressed that you follow my posts so carefully, that you can just rattle off that 90% of my posts attack d’s. Once again, you are wrong! Probably 90% of my posts are in the Word Association thread, but if somebody else read your statement, they might believe it. This is a great example of how you distort the truth for your own ends.

The one thing I don’t understand is how you can try and separate Medicare fraud from corporate crime. Fraud against the government (Medicare) has been perpetuated by healthcare companies. I gave a link to the top 20 recent government fraud cases that netted $12 billion in fines. 85% paid by healthcare companies. Doesn’t fraud equal crime? I guess you think it must be something else, perhaps just as bad, but certainly something different because you say “medicare fraud is just as bad as corporate crime.”, like they weren’t the same thing.

Now what really has me puzzled is your statement “I think that this democradrone and the others on this forum are not hateful people, we just want to see our country be the best it can.” Who are the others? Am I included? Is it only “liberals?” Are all Republicans hateful, or just the really conservative ones? Can anyone other then a d want the best for the country?

We can talk more later. Niters
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    i dont think nudist is employed at all.
    How do reach that conclusion? certainly not by the number of posts compared to the rest of you Bush-groupies.
    with the frequency of your posting here, It looks like you spend more of your time attending to this OT forum than anything youre more responsible for during the day.

it looks like offtopic is what you get up in the morning to do, it certainly doesn't seem like there is any higher purpose you focus upon throughout any given day which would occupy the majority of your time. you're ALWAYS HERE.

unemployed.
    Good for you Sua.

Maybe I am wrong if I feel that traditionally republicans have looked the other way at white collar crime. I guess I am stereotyping and I apologize if any offense was taken by those here.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see the reaction to Ken Lay's indictment. Personally I suspect he is guilty, but I will keep an open mind. As a Californian, I blame Enron for a lot of our energy crisis, even though Gray Davis is a doofus.

And I resent the Bush admins turning a blind eye when California was asking for help in the situation. It does not help to know that Lay was a big Bush supporter and actually a friend of Bush's although now Bush is now trying to distance himself.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings, I am glad you feel the way you do about corporate crime, its a major problem nowadays.
    Well, both being Californians we knowthere was plenty to blame for that debacle. Gray Davis was the easiest way to vent for us. I'm not faulting the Bush Administrations actions (or lack thereof), simply because I'm not sure it deemed Federal action.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    with the frequency of your posting here, It looks like you spend more of your time attending to this OT forum than anything youre more responsible for during the day.

it looks like offtopic is what you get up in the morning to do, it certainly doesn't seem like there is any higher purpose you focus upon throughout any given day which would occupy the majority of your time. you're ALWAYS HERE.

unemployed.
    Nudist has got 0.52 posts per day, you have got 2.44 posts per day. What a joke your explanation is... - or wait, are you unemployed, treobk214?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)

unemployed.
    OR....he could be a government employee like myself
    Hey I am glad that you Republidrones (I like that term, its kind of endearing isn't it?) are finally starting to recognize white collar crimes.
    By the way, what is a "Republidrone", and is there anyone specifically here that you would consider to be??

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I must be a ventriloquist. You have me saying things and I have never even moved my mouth. I certainly have never insinuated you were a hypocrite.
    I will just respond by quoting what you said to me in the global warming thread:

Since global warming really begins at home, I was wondering what you are doing to reduce your emissions of greenhouse gases. Do you take public transportation to work? Probably not. Do you drive a hybred car or have you had you current car converted to burn natural gas? Probably not. Do you ever car pool? Probably not. Does your wife do her shopping with the neighbors to reduce the number of cars on the road? I doubt it.

Caring about the environment takes more then recycling a few milk containers and some newspapers. You want some big government "fix" so long as it doesnt inconvenience you or jeopardize your job. I think you said before that you did research at a University. What is their record on greenhouse emissions? What have you dont to help them understand the problem? College campuses are pollution factories. A recent Yale University study reports that the school emits more greenhouse gases than 32 developing countries..
    you want me to re-defend myself again from this attack or was last time enough for you?

I’m impressed that you follow my posts so carefully, that you can just rattle off that 90% of my posts attack d’s. Once again, you are wrong! Probably 90% of my posts are in the Word Association thread, but if somebody else read your statement, they might believe it. This is a great example of how you distort the truth for your own ends.
    obviously I meant 90% of your posts in the off topics thread, and as far as what percent, I cant say for sure. Lets just say you have posted multiple times with remarks of democrats worse than what "republidrone" would be to republicans. Is that a fair statement? by the way I regret and apologize about the republidrone statement that I made, you do not deserve that for expressing your views, any more than democrats deserve to be insulted just for expressing their political views.

The one thing I don’t understand is how you can try and separate Medicare fraud from corporate crime. Fraud against the government (Medicare) has been perpetuated by healthcare companies. I gave a link to the top 20 recent government fraud cases that netted $12 billion in fines. 85% paid by healthcare companies. Doesn’t fraud equal crime? I guess you think it must be something else, perhaps just as bad, but certainly something different because you say “medicare fraud is just as bad as corporate crime.”, like they weren’t the same thing.
    It just seems to me that you are trying to paint me as a hypocrite again, putting me in the position of defending medicare fraud, when from my last post, it is clear that I am as opposed to it as someone can be.

Now what really has me puzzled is your statement “I think that this democradrone and the others on this forum are not hateful people, we just want to see our country be the best it can.” Who are the others? Am I included? Is it only “liberals?” Are all Republicans hateful, or just the really conservative ones? Can anyone other then a d want the best for the country?

We can talk more later. Niters
    I was simply saying that my fellow democradrones and I simply want to be able to provide our views on this forum without being labeled as hateful or unpatriotic.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 03/16/2005 at 08:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    By the way, what is a "Republidrone", and is there anyone specifically here that you would consider to be??
    whever I see people just quoting the party line without thinking for themselves, I think of this term. loooking back at our conversations together, I know you are not like this. Claire, at her better moments is not either. If anyone has taken offense I am sorry.
  19.    #39  

unemployed.
    Your 1729 posts indicate you are unemployed.
    whever I see people just quoting the party line without thinking for themselves, I think of this term. loooking back at our conversations together, I know you are not like this. Claire, at her better moments is not either. If anyone has taken offense I am sorry.
    Don't worry, no offense was taken (at least by me.)

It wasn't a setup type question, just a curiosity about who/what the "Republi-drones" were.

Then again, it wasn't you that coined the term here, so I probably shouldn't have addressed it to you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast