Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Apologies to any and all who actually enjoy it, but I have to say this has been the best NHL season ever. Hopefully next season is as good.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Apologies to any and all who actually enjoy it, but I have to say this has been the best NHL season ever. Hopefully next season is as good.
    I'm not a big hockey fan (I live in Florida, after all), but I'm concerned about the precedent this sets for baseball and football, who have been dangerously close to walking down this path before. I don't want to see this event empower either the players or owners in any future lockouts.
    Except for football, I wouldn't mind it if the other big three sports (bb, baseball & hockey) would reduce there season by 50%.
    Hockey is my choice of a spectator sport. It's the only sport I pay to watch. Plus I play roller hockey (too old for ice hockey ). My wife and kids love the game. We are all heart broken about this. It also affects the economy of the franchise cities so this is a big blow even on the distant sidelines.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr
    It also affects the economy of the franchise cities so this is a big blow even on the distant sidelines.
    My local sports talk radio station had Doug MacLean on this morning (current coach of the Columbus Blue Jackets and formerly the best coach that the Florida Panthers ever had. They had no right to fire him, but that's a different matter.), and he said that with the cancelled season, the owners stood to lose $200 to $300 million and the players stood to lose $1.3 BILLION!

I'd say that removing $1.5 billion from the local economies has an impact.

However, the NHL has had this coming for a LONG TIME. Salaries have been spiraling out of the control, the Panthers (for example) can't draw flies, and the talent is watered down. Believe it or not, the average NHL salary is like $500,000 more than the average NFL salary, and the NHL probably brings in 1/10th of the television and advertising revenue that the NFL brings in. The NFL made so much money off of DirecTV's NFL Sunday Ticket last year that the NFL actually RAISED the salary cap, since the league was so flush with cash.

MLB and NHL better start looking at the NFL and NBA's collective bargaining agreements and salary cap if they want to remain a viable product. Baseball isn't far away from a lockout either. Half of the MLB teams are eliminated on Opening Day, that's not a good way to run a league.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    ...the owners stood to lose $200 to $300 million and the players stood to lose $1.3 BILLION!

I'd say that removing $1.5 billion from the local economies has an impact.
    Is it really removed from the economy if it's never spent? Basically major league sports is the transferring of money from the middle and upper class to the super elite rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Basically major league sports is the transferring of money from the middle and upper class to the super elite rich.
    Dont let the D's in Congress hear that...they will want a new tax!
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Is it really removed from the economy if it's never spent? Basically major league sports is the transferring of money from the middle and upper class to the super elite rich.

I would think it is removed from the economy, since it is being removed from the players, whose families would spend that money since that's their income, to the owners, who weren't living on that money and will now probably sit on it for a year.

The owners spending the money on the players' salaries actually injects it into the economy.
    I've missed it a lot less than I thought I would have, but the owner of my local team (Capitals) dumped most of the good players in anticipation midway through last season. Hockey sucked for me last year too. Perhaps players are paid too much, but Bettman and Co.'s role in this has been suspect at best.
    I would think it doesn't make a difference since Joe Blow who was going to spend $200 to go to a game is now spending it elsewhere socially. It still gets used. Higher end products like a $200,000 car may be hurting. Interesting question.

I would think it is removed from the economy, since it is being removed from the players, whose families would spend that money since that's their income, to the owners, who weren't living on that money and will now probably sit on it for a year.

The owners spending the money on the players' salaries actually injects it into the economy.
    I would think it doesn't make a difference since Joe Blow who was going to spend $200 to go to a game is now spending it elsewhere socially. It still gets used. Higher end products like a $200,000 car may be hurting. Interesting question.
    True, but those players were taking that $1.3 billion and spending it on clothes, food, utilities, houses, etc....Now they're not.
    True, but those players were taking that $1.3 billion and spending it on clothes, food, utilities, houses, etc....Now they're not.
    Where do you think the $1.3 billion came from? It came from us. We're now not spending it on them, we are now spending it elsewhere. I could definitely be proved wrong here, but it seems to me it's six of one and a half dozen of the other.
    Damn.

Damn, damn, damn.

At least our minor leaguers are still playing. And if that's as close as we can get, well, it will have to do.

I have to point my somewhat under-informed finger at the players. Football has a salary cap; hockey can survive (as can the players, certainly) with one.

Damn.

Visor 2MB -> Visor Deluxe -> Visor Neo -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Centro
    Except for football, I wouldn't mind it if the other big three sports (bb, baseball & hockey) would reduce there season by 50%.
    I'll vote for this!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    We have something in common!

Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    I'll vote for this!
    This winter has been so enjoyable without Hockey. Hopefully they will destroy their league and every winter will be this nice.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    This winter has been so enjoyable without Hockey. Hopefully they will destroy their league and every winter will be this nice.
    If only.
    This may somewhat be true. But I'm more sympathetic to small businesses whose revenue stems mainly from arena sporting events namely restaurants, shops, etc. Don't know about your town, but I've asked around mine and the consensus is that they make a living because of these franchise sports.
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Originally Posted by treosixoo

If only.

The reason being? Just curious.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr
    Originally Posted by treosixoo

The reason being? Just curious.
    I just don't like hockey. And this year, Sports coverage has focused on what I enjoy (not hockey).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast