Page 1 of 111 1234561151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 2209
  1.    #1  
    Via Drudge Report, the BBC has shown some interesting pictures suggesting that Global Warming is occuring. link... Global Warming Pixs

    My school of thought is global warming is occuring, but human's contribution to it is inconsequential. Vasts amounts of pollution is made with mother nature. One example is volcanoes.

    So no matter who's to blame, from the pixs it appears many areas of the world better get ready!
  2. #2  
    apperantly global dimming caused by the same pollution slows down global warming..
    So if we clean up the air global warming gets even worse
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  3. #3  
    Exactly. It's cyclical. Volcanic eruptions contribute far more than man. However, the Environmentalists, and anti-Capitalists can't go after a volcano.

    The Earth has warmed and cooled from the beginning of time. and will continue to do so.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Exactly. It's cyclical. Volcanic eruptions contribute far more than man. However, the Environmentalists, and anti-Capitalists can't go after a volcano.

    The Earth has warmed and cooled from the beginning of time. and will continue to do so.
    While I agree with the cyclical bit and that natural events contribute to global warming too, I think it is too simple to say: X pollutes more, so I can pollute too.
    Same logic is that Nature kills people with the flu, so I can kill a few too..
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolkiT
    While I agree with the cyclical bit and that natural events contribute to global warming too, I think it is too simple to say: X pollutes more, so I can pollute too.
    Same logic is that Nature kills people with the flu, so I can kill a few too..
    I'm not saying that. I am saying this is a natural occuring event, and that to blame mankind (as a certain group of people do) is wrong. If humans ceased to exsist, the planet would still go through these changes.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolkiT
    While I agree with the cyclical bit and that natural events contribute to global warming too, I think it is too simple to say: X pollutes more, so I can pollute too.
    Same logic is that Nature kills people with the flu, so I can kill a few too..
    There have been great improvements by leading countries to minimize our impact. The first thing I think about are cars. I remember as a kid standing behind a '60's or '70's car and almost being asphyxiated to death. btw, I had no idea how to spell 'asphyxiate' - I humbly had to look it up in a dictionary. Do you really think people feel this way. I think even conservatives are extremely eco conscious.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I'm not saying that. I am saying this is a natural occuring event, and that to blame mankind (as a certain group of people do) is wrong. If humans ceased to exsist, the planet would still go through these changes.
    To some extend yes (ice ages come and go) however Humans tend to tip the balance.
    Look at australia for example, first man introduces rabbits (for hunting) the soon breed like rabbits and overpopulate, so they tried many things, but non of them seem to worked, so they came up with mixamatose a rabit decease... which of course turned out to be a bigger problem than cure.

    Cane toads were introduced to eat mosquitos, but soon bred fast and killed all the preditors that eat them because they are poisonous.
    Many more examples like that..
    When men starts messing with nature it seems to spiral out of control.
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    There have been great improvements by leading countries to minimize our impact. The first thing I think about are cars. I remember as a kid standing behind a '60's or '70's car and almost being asphyxiated to death. btw, I had no idea how to spell 'asphyxiate' - I humbly had to look it up in a dictionary. Do you really think people feel this way. I think even conservatives are extremely eco conscious.
    I don't think people think that extreme (thank god), but that it is the same logic.

    Sure lots of improvement have been made, but the common sense ones arent being made, for example you don't need a 2 ton SUV to drive your kid to school. Car sizes seem to get bigger and bigger. True the engines get more economical but moving more weight costs more energy, and fuel efficienty can only improve so much..
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolkiT
    To some extend yes (ice ages come and go) however Humans tend to tip the balance.
    Look at australia for example, first man introduces rabbits (for hunting) the soon breed like rabbits and overpopulate, so they tried many things, but non of them seem to worked, so they came up with mixamatose a rabit decease... which of course turned out to be a bigger problem than cure.

    Cane toads were introduced to eat mosquitos, but soon bred fast and killed all the preditors that eat them because they are poisonous.
    Many more examples like that..
    When men starts messing with nature it seems to spiral out of control.
    Now we're talking apples and oranges. That is different than Global Warming.

    However, I do take some offense when I hear things that Man does. Afterall, are we also not a part of nature? How are these examples you pointed out not part of nature? I don't think you can take man out of the equation. We are part of the equation. Wouldn't this just be part of the evolutionary process?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  10.    #10  
    You could also reference kudzu, however you averted the question from insertion. How does man not contribute, but cause a significant portion of global warming?

    Quote Originally Posted by ToolkiT
    To some extend yes (ice ages come and go) however Humans tend to tip the balance.
    Look at australia for example, first man introduces rabbits (for hunting) the soon breed like rabbits and overpopulate, so they tried many things, but non of them seem to worked, so they came up with mixamatose a rabit decease... which of course turned out to be a bigger problem than cure.

    Cane toads were introduced to eat mosquitos, but soon bred fast and killed all the preditors that eat them because they are poisonous.
    Many more examples like that..
    When men starts messing with nature it seems to spiral out of control.
  11.    #11  
    I drive a mid-size SUV, but it's ULEV emissions. Only one that I know that's on the road. But take a mega SUV like an Excursion, I would think it still contributes less than a truck from 30 years ago. Progress is being made.

    Quote Originally Posted by ToolkiT
    I don't think people think that extreme (thank god), but that it is the same logic.

    Sure lots of improvement have been made, but the common sense ones arent being made, for example you don't need a 2 ton SUV to drive your kid to school. Car sizes seem to get bigger and bigger. True the engines get more economical but moving more weight costs more energy, and fuel efficienty can only improve so much..
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Now we're talking apples and oranges. That is different than Global Warming.
    they are different, but were just used as general examples.

    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    However, I do take some offense when I hear things that Man does. Afterall, are we also not a part of nature? How are these examples you pointed out not part of nature? I don't think you can take man out of the equation. We are part of the equation. Wouldn't this just be part of the evolutionary process?
    this brings us to a philosophical debate: what is nature? all cities are build with natural resources, so in theory cities are nature too.
    But for simplicity lets say nature is things that were not man-made or man-altered.
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    You could also reference kudzu, however you averted the question from insertion. How does man not contribute, but cause a significant portion of global warming?
    I think man causes enough to tip over the ballance yes..
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    I drive a mid-size SUV, but it's ULEV emissions. Only one that I know that's on the road. But take a mega SUV like an Excursion, I would think it still contributes less than a truck from 30 years ago. Progress is being made.
    I drove a midsize SUV too (subaru Forester) and took it 4WDing too.
    Now I live in the UK there is not so much 4WDing so there is no point in me buying a 4WD.
    If people need a big 4WD because they go places where you need one, that is fine with me too.
    The problem I have is with the 'soccer mum' driving a hummer. to me that is a total waste of natural resources..
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  15. #15  
    Almost all experts in the area realize that global warming exists and is man-made in cause. I think Bush should accept good science and act on it accordingly, not ignore it or hope it goes away. Here is a recent article on the subject, I hope you all can read it, I am a subscriber to Nature, but I think this article is public access. Cheers.

    http://www.nature.com/news/2005/0501...050124-10.html
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 08/02/2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: added my signature
  16.    #16  
    The nature article never mentions the cause, only the effect. Looking for proof of man's impact, not conjecture of what happens with global warming.

    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Almost all experts in the area realize that global warming exists and is man-made in cause. I think Bush should accept good science and act on it accordingly, not ignore it or hope it goes away. Here is a recent article on the subject, I hope you all can read it, I am a subscriber to Nature, but I think this article is public access. Cheers.

    http://www.nature.com/news/2005/0501...050124-10.html
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    I drive a mid-size SUV, but
    but my Dad drives a Suburban, my Mom drives a Tahoe and I drive a Jeep. In Colorado, we actuall do get snow.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  18.    #18  
    & I actually tow a boat, haul stuff in a traile & haul kids around. Snow not required for owning a SUV.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    & I actually tow a boat, haul stuff in a traile & haul kids around. Snow not required for owning a SUV.
    No, but some might say that having 3 4x4s in one family might be exessive, and I would have to say that maybe they should consider moving to Canada
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Exactly. It's cyclical. Volcanic eruptions contribute far more than man. However, the Environmentalists, and anti-Capitalists can't go after a volcano.

    The Earth has warmed and cooled from the beginning of time. and will continue to do so.
    You seem to have very strong convictions regarding global warming, which is surprising to me because judging from your post, you know - well, probably not really a lot about the subject.

    What is "cyclical" in your view?

    To what do Volcanoes "contribute" in your view?

    Man-made global warming is due to the increased emission of greenhouse gasses, with carbon dioxide as the major contributor (mainly from burning petroleum and coal). Greenhous gasses absorb sunlight and transform it into heat, thus increasing the global temperature.

    Volcano eruptions, in contrast, are a major source for ash and aerosols which reach high altitudes in the atmosphere and reflect sunlight back into space, thus leading to COLDER temperatures...

    As usual, the information would be at your fingertips:

    "The current scientific consensus is that most of the warming observed over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attribu...climate_change

    http://www.grida.no/climate/ipcc_tar/wg1/
    Last edited by clulup; 02/16/2005 at 02:51 PM.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
Page 1 of 111 1234561151101 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions