Page 85 of 111 FirstFirst ... 3575808182838485868788899095 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 2209
  1. #1681  
    It is amazing what these whack jobs do and say. The evidence is based on whatever they choose today to base it on. We are in a cooling period and none of them recognize it. Heck, when I was growing up we were racing toward an ice age. What fools they made of themselves and now, the amount of money Gore has made.
  2. #1682  
    Global warming? Well....even though this year appears to be a much cooler year (what did I just see, Chicago had their coolest July in 64 years?), it does appear that the avg temperatures may have snuck up for about a 7 or 8 year period. However, I fall into the camp that this is NOT caused by humans but is a natural occurance.

    What's odd is the largest contributing factor to the "greenhouse effect", is actually water vapor! That's right, good ole H20. Since about 3/4 of the earth's surface if covered by this pesky substance, there is little we can do about water vapor. Some believe we are simply in a hot period with the sun....thus raising the earth's temperature....which starts a cycle where we have more water evaporation into the atmosphere....leading to warmer temperatures which means...yes...more water evaporation. I think what Al Gore needs to figure out is how to drain the earth of water to stop this cycle. I think he'll have better luck with that than turning down the temperature of the sun.

    Anyway....man's contribution to any temp change is likely very small....in my opinion as a non-scientist.
  3. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #1683  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    It is amazing what these whack jobs do and say. The evidence is based on whatever they choose today to base it on. We are in a cooling period and none of them recognize it. Heck, when I was growing up we were racing toward an ice age. What fools they made of themselves and now, the amount of money Gore has made.
    Forget Al Gore. They're killing us with the cost and impacts of the Cap and Trade bill thats passing through congress. Morons.

    BTW, I just heard that this July was the coldest in Chicago in over the last 10 years.

    (sorry clem... you heard 64 years? wow)
    Last edited by Micael; 07/29/2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Just saw Clems post
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  4. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #1684  
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Anyway....man's contribution to any temp change is likely very small....in my opinion as a non-scientist.
    That opinion is supported by many rational scientists, despite what the urban elites would have you believe.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  5. #1685  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    That opinion is supported by many rational scientists, despite what the urban elites would have you believe.
    AMEN!!!!
  6. #1686  
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    ...Anyway....man's contribution to any temp change is likely very small....in my opinion as a non-scientist.
    It's all just a natural cycle as you can see here in China.



    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  7. #1687  
    [QUOTE=palandri;1791385]It's all just a natural cycle as you can see here in China.


    Yup....makes you realize that even if we go to bikes and horse buggies like some people would like, the fact that China and India could care less about the environment the US going to the extreme on green will do absolutely nothing except put us behind in everything. That's just what we need right now....the US getting weaker while China and India get stronger....sounds like a great plan to me.....NOT.
  8. #1688  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Forget Al Gore. They're killing us with the cost and impacts of the Cap and Trade bill thats passing through congress. Morons.

    BTW, I just heard that this July was the coldest in Chicago in over the last 10 years.

    (sorry clem... you heard 64 years? wow)
    Micael....I couldn't find verification of my statement above (64 years), but I know I read it somewhere. I did find it is the 2nd coldest July on record, and many days were the coldest in like 100 years or so. It's been a little warm here in Charleston the last few days (low 90s), but that is nothing compared to normal summers where we have upper 90s to low 100s. Not a single day at 100 this summer. In fact, we've had a very mild summer....I'm liking it!
  9. #1689  
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Yup....makes you realize that even if we go to bikes and horse buggies like some people would like, the fact that China and India could care less about the environment the US going to the extreme on green will do absolutely nothing except put us behind in everything. That's just what we need right now....the US getting weaker while China and India get stronger....sounds like a great plan to me.....NOT.
    I agree with you.

    I do a lot of green things around my house just for the cost saving I put in my pocket. I replaced my single pane windows with the gas filled double pane windows and that cut my winter gas bill by a third. I have converted a lot of my lights to the new LED lights. Normally my electric bill in the summer is around $129-$139. My last bill was $96.40.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  10. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #1690  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    It's all just a natural cycle as you can see here in China.
    Pictures of smog? Whats that got to do with the price of tea?

    Smog is one thing, human's impact on global warming is quite another. (notice that in your pictures they're all wearing jackets)

    Why is it that liberals always try to argue with data or images that are at best only indirectly related to the topic?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  11. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #1691  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I agree with you.

    I do a lot of green things around my house just for the cost saving I put in my pocket. I replaced my single pane windows with the gas filled double pane windows and that cut my winter gas bill by a third. I have converted a lot of my lights to the new LED lights. Normally my electric bill in the summer is around $129-$139. My last bill was $96.40.
    Why you greedy heartless so and so!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  12. #1692  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I agree with you.

    I do a lot of green things around my house just for the cost saving I put in my pocket. I replaced my single pane windows with the gas filled double pane windows and that cut my winter gas bill by a third. I have converted a lot of my lights to the new LED lights. Normally my electric bill in the summer is around $129-$139. My last bill was $96.40.
    You should take those savings and go buy someone a health plan! That would be the compassionate thing to do. I mean, you're not going to spend that savings on yourself, are you?
  13. #1693  
    I think the following link says it all. It is about 21 minutes long but awesome. Click on the link and then if you have pop ups blocked like I do you will need to click on the link that says "click to watch Two Days Before the Day After....". Watch the commercial and then enjoy.

    South Park Episode Player - Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow

    WARNING! NERD ALERT! IF YOU CANNOT HANDLE IT PLEASE DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER.

    Global warming is pretty much inevitable. Look at the numbers that Al Gore compiled. Regardless of your opinion on him or politics (I really don't have one on either) the numbers are true about the ocean temperature rising a degree. However, I think the cause is simpler than what he states in his movie. (funny story, I didn't see it until I got a Pre. It was my test movie I put on it and ended up watching it) What's that theory that says the simplest solution is often the right one?

    Basically, he says CO2 gas is trapping the heat from the sun and causing ocean temperature to rise. He says that since the 1950s we have seen a rise in the temperature which corresponds to a rise in CO2. While all this sounds okay I am not too sure about this trapping heat and I think the real fact lies with the earths population. That is the reason the ocean temperatures are rising. Since the 1950s we have gained 4 billion people. Nerding out a little, simple math associates approximately 800 billion BTUh with that change in population (approx. 200 BTUh per person). Now for those that don't know, 1 BTU is the amount of energy it takes 1 LB of water to rise 1 degree Fahrenheit. Now salt water acts differently than pure water but the calculations tend to show exactly what I am saying. Taking the area of oceans on earth and the by how deep they take these readings, you get the volume of water that is affected in pounds (of course with density). This all equates to about a 1 degree temperature rise. I think this is the real issue. The heat people produce has to go somewhere.

    Also, I believe that in the next 20 years the earth is projected to gain another 3 billion people. This is why I think the oceans will continue to rise. Ultimately, the earth will balance itself out just like it has always done. Hence, the talk of an ice age. If we want to avoid an ice age we do need to do something. The solution, to me, is again somewhat obvious. I think there are 2 possible solutions. Either start WWIII or we must at some point "air condition" the earth and use the coldness of space as our heat sink. Right now with technology where it is, this is ridiculous and probably not possible. In 20 years, it might be more possible and actually needed. I actually have ideas of how to accomplish this but I won't go there. Anyway, if you guys hear of this crazy engineer in the future that wants to air condition the earth, it was me. Just remember this post. That is all for now but I should try and make a movie and call it The Simpler Inconvenient Truth. Do you think I have a chance at the Nobel Prize? Probably not.

    Wow. Told you about the nerd alert.
  14. #1694  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Pictures of smog? Whats that got to do with the price of tea?

    Smog is one thing, human's impact on global warming is quite another. (notice that in your pictures they're all wearing jackets)

    Why is it that liberals always try to argue with data or images that are at best only indirectly related to the topic?
    LOL! You think that smog won't have an impact on the weather? Be serious now.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  15. #1695  
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    You should take those savings and go buy someone a health plan! That would be the compassionate thing to do....
    We all will be soon, so get ready to open your wallet.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  16. jewel's Avatar
    Posts
    638 Posts
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    #1696  
    All I can say is that green is the new red.
  17. #1697  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Why you greedy heartless so and so!
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  18. jewel's Avatar
    Posts
    638 Posts
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    #1698  
    Yeah right, CO2 is the problem Mr. Gore. Why don't you stop breathing for an hour and contribute to the solution.
  19. toddrules's Avatar
    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    #1699  
    The earth is on a never ending cycle and global warming and rising water levels is part of that cycle. The cycle will eventually include the end of humans, like all all other species before us, roaches excluded but, humans are the only species ever that have increased the march to their own end. No matter what politics you have, saying we are not having an impact on the world around us is foolish and short sided. Yeah it is all part of a cycle like death is part of the life cycle, Saying pollution is just a drop in bucket, no need to worry about it is like saying smoking is ok because it is going to lead to the same end anyway.
  20. #1700  
    Quote Originally Posted by toddrules View Post
    The earth is on a never ending cycle and global warming and rising water levels is part of that cycle. The cycle will eventually include the end of humans, like all all other species before us, roaches excluded but, humans are the only species ever that have increased the march to their own end. No matter what politics you have, saying we are not having an impact on the world around us is foolish and short sided. Yeah it is all part of a cycle like death is part of the life cycle, Saying pollution is just a drop in bucket, no need to worry about it is like saying smoking is ok because it is going to lead to the same end anyway.
    Oh I agree...and if my comments indicated that pollution was irrelevant, then my mistake. My point was that if man is contributing say....5%...to the global warming issue then even if we stopped everything our little globe would still be getting warmer. I would rather swim in clean water than polluted water! But the rhetoric seems to be that we are the primary cause and by making some changes we can change the temperature on the planet in a significant manner and I just don't see the evidence of that. I also agree that roaches will be here long after humans are gone (grrrrrrrrrr).

Posting Permissions