Page 33 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2328293031323334353637384383 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chillig35
    .......Obviously, if our courts held us to such high standards we would never be able to prosecute any criminals!........
    There are a number of standards ranging from "reasonbly believe," through "preponderance of the evidence," to "beyond a reasonable doubt," to "metaphysical certainty." Where along this spectrum do you assess the available evidence? For what? Continuation of the trends? Sudden climate change?
    Last edited by whmurray; 05/23/2006 at 01:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    I think people are ignorant BY CHOICE on this issue. Just look at all the reasonably intelligent people on this board who want to nay-say the issue.
    like Exxon
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    like Exxon
    That's just greed.
  4.    #644  
    Exxon among scores of other major corporations donate to Cooler Heads. Thank God they are in light of the mis-information info being spewed by the the anti-everything crowd. If it were my company and flat out lies were being sent out as facts, I'd contribute too. I think the facts that globalwarming.org lay out are a bit too much for the anti-everything crowd. Truth hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Exxon among scores of other major corporations donate to Cooler Heads. Thank God they are in light of the mis-information info being spewed by the the anti-everything crowd. If it were my company and flat out lies were being sent out as facts, I'd contribute too. I think the facts that globalwarming.org lay out are a bit too much for the anti-everything crowd. Truth hurts.
    you certainly are a good contender for the Goebbels award of the year!
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
  6.    #646  
    you certainly are a good contender for the Goebbels award of the year!
    Expected response from an 'anti-everything' member, when in doubt bring out the Nazi card. Nice.
    Se also some of Advance's other greatest cites including...

Quote Originally Posted by advance
    Big Macs Cure cancer, sponsored by MacDOnalands corporation
    Bacon makes you skinny, a study by Atkins corp
    and
    Cigarettes make you better in bed, sponsored by RJR Nabisco
    Exxon among scores of other major corporations donate to Cooler Heads.

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHA!!
    Seriously

9.    #649  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Se also some of Advance's other greatest cites including...

and
    I see you're a member of the 'anti-everything' club as well. As far as humor goes, it was real weak. But like you starting threads, just keep throwing them out, maybe one will stick.
  10.    #650  
    Seriously

Many other corporations that the 'anti-everythings' hate, check it out
    lol
    Expected response from an 'anti-everything' member, when in doubt bring out the Nazi card. Nice.
    the only thing i stand for for is anti-stupidity - in your case that translates to anti-everything that you spout
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    There are a number of standards ranging from "reasonbly believe," through "preponderance of the evidence," to "beyond a reasonable doubt," to "metaphysical certainty." Where along this spectrum do you assess the available evidence? For what? Continuation of the trends? Sudden climate change?
    The available evidence for global warming (which is continuously being corroborated with new data) is beyond reasonable doubt (or virtually certain as some scientists like to say).

It is highly likely (i.e. preponderance of evidence) that these trends will continue in the near future and it is also reasonable to believe that these continued trends would cause some kind of global climatic shift though it is uncertain as to what kind of climate changes will occur or as to the magnitude of such changes.

This is the general consensus of the scientific community studying the global climate - and of course there is a significant effort to try and improve the level of certainity as much as possible.
    Seriously

Cooler Heads ..... hmmm isn't that an outfit that proposed dumping a trillion tons of freon and other CFCs into the atmosphere to counter global warming?? Oh sorry - that was DumbA$$es - never mind - my mistake ....
    The available evidence for global warming (which is continuously being corroborated with new data) is beyond reasonable doubt (or virtually certain as some scientists like to say).

It is highly likely (i.e. preponderance of evidence) that these trends will continue in the near future and it is also reasonable to believe that these continued trends would cause some kind of global climatic shift though it is uncertain as to what kind of climate changes will occur or as to the magnitude of such changes.

This is the general consensus of the scientific community studying the global climate - and of course there is a significant effort to try and improve the level of certainity as much as possible.
    And one who evaluates the evidence that way will..................? A society that accepted that evaluation would....................?
    Originally Posted by whmurray

whmurray - Excellent question.

chillig35 - I'm surprised at how reasonable your answers are.

I completely agree with the first and fourth assessments. And I think it's reasonable to believe that if these trends continue well beyond the short term that they'll cause some kind of global climatic shift, whatever that means.

As for trends continuing...
    In the short-term, there's natural volatility, so it's very uncertain what we'll see in weather over the next several years despite global warming.

Whether the trends continue in the long-term is the trillion dollar question. You're convinced. I'm not. Yet.
  17.    #657  
    Why isn't the global warming crowd demanding for nuclear energy? I'm going to see Al Gore's Inconvenient Truth (albeit, I'll pay for another movie and sneak in). I want to try to understand the self-proclaimed majority. I'm curiouis if there are any suggestions or just the common 'anti-everything' approach that is widely used (i.e. blame Republicans and America). I am not looking forward to Gore's condescending voice for an hour and a half.
    isn't everyone who uses any type of energy source besides solar power responsible for Global Warming? In your every day life, you drive to work/school (Carbon Dioxide Emitted from Cars). Even if you use a bike, the production of that bike contributed to the Green House gasses. Electricity, the wood used in the production of your house (Deforestation). EVERYTHING can contribute to global warming. Even the production of the solar pannels leads to global warming. I can't see any argument. And just as a note, i am coming into this whole 34 page conversation blind so again, try not to kill me.

Did anyone have a response to articles like this, sounds like one problem solved ....not global warming ofcourse....
    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/...054763580.html
    http://www.wired.com/news/technology...,55482,00.html
    http://www.climateark.org/articles/2...h/scsayozo.htm

Again, i apologize for coming into this conversation so blindly but i don't have the time to read 34 pages. Thanks
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Okay Advance, good luck finding any suggestion for any kind of solution. I guess that's the way it's got to be done nowadays (using their own devious tactics like paying for one thing but receiving another),
    ....I am not looking forward to Gore's condescending voice for an hour and a half.
    I can imagine. However, it is not personal; he does not even know you.