Page 31 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2126272829303132333435364181 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    If by conservative, you mean correct, I'm not sure. As I said earlier, I don't know what the right answer is.
    No, Sir. I certainly did not mean "correct." (You seem quick to complain when others "put words in your mouth.") I meant what a prudent man does in the face of material uncertainty. (There is all too much certainty in this debate and not nearly enough doubt. The center is incapacitated by the certainty of the extremes.)
    Last edited by whmurray; 05/20/2006 at 12:57 PM.
    And I know from reading Dan Brown (Angels & Demons) that the toughest of the Swiss military dress like clowns and get assigned the mission of guarding the Pope. Or something like that.
    I was watching TV this AM when I realized that (while I know his identity) I do not know the name of the current pope.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Originally Posted by samkim
    If by conservative, you mean correct, I'm not sure. As I said earlier, I don't know what the right answer is.
    No, Sir. I certainly did not mean "correct." (You are quick to complain when others "put words in your mouth.") I meant what a prudent man does in the face of material uncertainty. (There is all too much certainty in this debate and not nearly enough doubt. The center is incapacitated by the certainty of the extremes.)
    Since I didn't know what you meant, I said, "if." But you know that.

And I have plenty of doubt.

If global warming continues over the next century as some predict, it will be disasterous for everyone. Lots of death and destruction. But the cost of avoiding that potential disaster is immeasurably large.

One side of this debate, IMO, tends to overstate its case, and I think that's wrong. We should lay out the facts as they are and make an informed decision. Richard Feynman wrote an excellent essay about the role and obligation of science, "Cargo Cult Science," ( http://www.physics.brocku.ca/etc/car...t_science.html ) the core themes of which I'd apparently internalized from reading it more than 20 years ago. If you take the time to read it, don't get put off by his talk about pseudoscience in the beginning; the point isn't that global warming is pseudoscience.
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    hmm. I can't believe this thread is still going.
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    And I know from reading Dan Brown (Angels & Demons) that the toughest of the Swiss military dress like clowns and get assigned the mission of guarding the Pope. Or something like that.
    Dan Brown, the fiction writer?
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    I was watching TV this AM when I realized that (while I know his identity) I do not know the name of the current pope.
    Benedict. I read there was some prophet of some sort a long time back (a few centuries?) who listed all the Popes until judgement day. And there's been some level of validation of the correctness of his predictions. "Benedict" was the second to last Pope.

But I guess we're getting OT.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Dan Brown, the fiction writer?
    Yes but he is right about the suits.
    Here ya go, the Swiss Guard (in stripes) w/ the Pope:
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Here ya go, the Swiss Guard (in stripes) w/ the Pope:
    That is sh*tty luck. LOL

From the wiki:
    Today the Swiss Guard is not considered to belong to any larger force, but is instead the army of the sovereign state of the Vatican. The force is specifically limited to one hundred soldiers and consists of four officers, 23 NCOs, 70 halberdiers, 2 drummers, and a chaplain, all with an equivalent Italian army rank. Not only are the guards fully trained and equipped in modern tactics and weaponry, they also receive instructions in using the sword and halberd. The ceremonial weapon of the Guard is the halberd. [1]

The guards must be Catholic males with Swiss citizenship who have completed basic training with the Swiss military and can obtain certificates of good conduct. Recruits must be between 19 and 30 years of age and at least 174 cm (5'9") tall.

Qualified candidates must apply to serve. If accepted, new guards are sworn in every May 6 in the San Damaso Courtyard (Italian: Cortile di San Damaso) in the Vatican. (May 6 is the anniversary of the Sack of Rome.) The chaplain of the guard reads aloud the oath in the language of the guard (mostly German, some French, few Italian)
    Benedict. I read there was some prophet of some sort a long time back (a few centuries?) who listed all the Popes until judgement day. And there's been some level of validation of the correctness of his predictions. "Benedict" was the second to last Pope.

But I guess we're getting OT.
    He didn't predict their names but rather preidicted "mottos" or "phrases" for them which are of course so vague an association is easily made.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    From the wiki:
    Today the Swiss Guard is not considered to belong to any larger force, but is instead the army of the sovereign state of the Vatican. The force is specifically limited to one hundred soldiers and consists of four officers, 23 NCOs, 70 halberdiers, 2 drummers, and a chaplain, all with an equivalent Italian army rank. Not only are the guards fully trained and equipped in modern tactics and weaponry, they also receive instructions in using the sword and halberd. The ceremonial weapon of the Guard is the halberd. [1]

The guards must be Catholic males with Swiss citizenship who have completed basic training with the Swiss military and can obtain certificates of good conduct. Recruits must be between 19 and 30 years of age and at least 174 cm (5'9") tall.

Qualified candidates must apply to serve. If accepted, new guards are sworn in every May 6 in the San Damaso Courtyard (Italian: Cortile di San Damaso) in the Vatican. (May 6 is the anniversary of the Sack of Rome.) The chaplain of the guard reads aloud the oath in the language of the guard (mostly German, some French, few Italian)
    Thanks for the info. I was just taking a little dig at Clulup and his Swiss pride.
    Thanks for the info. I was just taking a little dig at Clulup and his Swiss pride.
    The Swiss are entitled to their pride.
    As if I care when 100 Swiss want to make a fool out of themselves by working for the Vatican in funny robes...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  15.    #615  
    I'm all for home country pride, it's the American hatred and envy that has become quite old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    I'm all for home country pride, it's the American hatred and envy that has become quite old.
    Whenever I quote a fact you don't like about the US, you accuse me of hating the US. That's usually also when some of you start mentioning totally off topic stuff like the Swiss Guard. As always, this indicates lack of valid on topic arguments.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Whenever I quote a fact you don't like about the US, you accuse me of hating the US. That's usually also when some of you start mentioning totally off topic stuff like the Swiss Guard.
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Whenever I quote a fact you don't like about the US, you accuse me of hating the US. That's usually also when some of you start mentioning totally off topic stuff like the Swiss Guard. As always, this indicates lack of valid on topic arguments.
    All of you people here on TC are all very, very bitter people, although i have to admit thats what lured me into this site. Your talking about global warming and are ready to cut each other's throats! Can't we all just get along and enjoy the fact that tomorrow's my birthday?

P.S: I know i added absolutely nothing to this thread and have only taken up space on this important issue. Don't hang the messenger, just here to spread some peace, love and joy. Besides, if Global Warming is real, don't we have greater problems to worry about then attacking our Palm brother's and sisters.
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Besides, how can you be off-topic in an off-topic thread?
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by justbrown522
    All of you people here on TC are all very, very bitter people, although i have to admit thats what lured me into this site. Your talking about global warming and are ready to cut each other's throats! Can't we all just get along and enjoy the fact that tomorrow's my birthday?

P.S: I know i added absolutely nothing to this thread and have only taken up space on this important issue. Don't hang the messenger, just here to spread some peace, love and joy. Besides, if Global Warming is real, don't we have greater problems to worry about then attacking our Palm brother's and sisters.
    Happy Birthday, justbrown!

While you're spreading p,l&j - spread some oxygen canisters around while you're at it! Lot's of our brethren here have been inhaling greenhouse gases for so long they don't know what real air is like
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."