Page 24 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1419202122232425262728293474 ... LastLast
    it seems like that you do not want to take things seriously in this thread anyway.

btw........if you do not like my posts, there is an ignore user function.
    well looking back, I do see you have made some serious comments here, quite a few actually. anyway my apologies for the post deleting.
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Not to try to beat a dead horse, but isn't it a pain when science gets in the way of your agenda........

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050608/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl
    This yahoo article is really rather soft on them (W.H.). If you were to just read this article you would thnk it is normal procedure, but if you were to read more about this subject you would see what it is really about. There are just simple changes, but the changes are quite effective. Such as changing one word to another (i.e. "gas emissions will cause global warming" changed to "gas emissions might cause global warming"). Small changes? Yes, but nonetheless effective in placing doubt into what might cause global warming. This done so Bush can keep claiming "Global warming is a serious issue, yet we don't know enough about it so we should study it some more before we take action." Gov. George Bush 2000. This is not the Dubya we all know. The Dubya we know will act no matter if the intelligence is "wobbly". What we see here is that he doesn't care really too much about it (global warming). Why? Because this W.H. is run by oil men and women. It is kind of like they are hiding in plain sight. Enough with the rant.
    Here is another example of "fixing facts":
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A White House official with no scientific training edited government climate reports to play down the links between greenhouse gas emissions and global warming, according to internal documents obtained by The New York Times, the paper said Wednesday.

Philip Cooney, chief of staff for the White House Council on Environmental Quality, often would subtly alter documents - for example adding "significant and fundamental" before the word "uncertainties" - to create an air of doubt about findings few scientists dispute, said the daily.

On one document, Cooney added the work "extremely" to the sentence: "The attribution of the causes of biological and ecological changes to climate change or variability is extremely difficult."

http://www.spacewar.com/news/climate-05zzo.html
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this ANOTHER case of fixing facts to fit policy? I wouldn't hesitate to say, Yes, yes it is.

This admin has to be one of the least honest admins in recent memory.
    Last edited by NRG; 06/09/2005 at 10:04 AM.
    I used to take this approach when I was a kid. I would clean my room by shoving everything under the bed and telling my dad everything is OK. It works for a while, but then later you catch hell.

btw, I have learned many valuable lessons from my dad (may he rest in peace!) and HAPPY FATHER's DAY to all you dads out there!
    shortsighted ignorance endures in the Bush admin.............

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/yes...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl
    years from now, our children will wonder why we did not take action when we had the chance.
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Triple-Digit Temperatures Scorch Midwest
    By NATHANIEL HERNANDEZ, Associated Press Writer

CHICAGO -- Skyrocketing temperatures surpassed the 100-degree mark here for the first time in six years, prompting Chicago officials to implement an emergency response plan developed after hundreds of people died in a heat wave a decade ago....

Chicago's discomfort is part of a blazing heat wave that stretches across the upper Midwest and beyond. Sunday's high temperatures included 106 in Osage Beach, Mo., 102 degrees in St. Louis and 101 in Iowa City, Iowa. Omaha, Neb., peaked at 105 on Saturday....

The hot air moved in from the West, where 21 people, mostly homeless, have died from heat this summer in Arizona's Phoenix metro area. Some 200 cities and towns in the West hit daily record highs last week, including Las Vegas, Nev., at 117, and Death Valley soared to 129, the weather service said.

Demand for electricity to run air conditioners has hit near-record peaks from Southern California to the region served by the Tennessee Valley Authority.

Excessive heat warnings and advisories were in effect through Monday for states from Illinois to Louisiana and from Nebraska to the District of Columbia, the weather service said. In the Florida Panhandle, meteorologists said a high of 94 combined with high humidity could make the heat index 114 Monday afternoon

-snip-

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...0,968432.story
  8.    #468  
    Summer 2004 was unusually cold. From noaa.com, in powerpoint.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...ings/P4.16.ppt
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Top Ten George W. Bush Solutions For Global Warming

10. NASA mission to turn down the sun's thermostat

9. Federal subsidies to boost production of Cool Ranch Doritos

8. Fast track Rumsfeld's "Colonize Neptune" proposal

7. Convene Blue-Ribbon Committee to explore innovative ways of ignoring the problem

6. Let Hillary worry about it when she takes over

5. I dunno---tax cuts for the rich?

4. Give the boys at Halliburton 90-billion dollar contract to patch hole in ozone

3. Switch to celsius so scorching 98 becomes frosty 37

2. Keep plenty of Bud on ice

1. Invade Antartica

http://www.cbs.com/latenight/latesho...20050725.shtml
    Somebody wrote in a related thread "Live wrong. Party on. Pay later". The problem seems to be that some are already paying right now, and it's not those who partied.

India rain death toll nears 740
    MUMBAI, India -- Nearly 740 people have died from torrential, record-setting rains that socked Mumbai and triggered mudslides in the region, state police said Friday.

"Most places in India don't receive this kind of rainfall in a year. This is the highest ever recorded in India's history," R.V. Sharma, director of the meteorological department in Mumbai, told The Associated Press.

India's previous heaviest rainfall, recorded at Cherrapunji in the northeastern Meghalaya state -- one of the rainiest places on Earth -- was 830 millimeters (33 inches) on July 12, 1910, Sharma said.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapc...ain/index.html
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    We are all to blame, however there is also a huge blame on the automobile industry. Ever since the day before forever, we have known of different means of creating a combustion engine. Coal/Steam was first used, well because coal was easy to find and easy to excavate. Then we have oil, which was abundant, but now is becoming scarce and everyone is crying bloody murder. But we know we can build different types of buses trucks and cars that use different means of fuel. Trucks (a lot apparently now) use E85 grade fuel, which is an ethanol based fuel of the proportions of 85% to 15% regular fuel. Buses also use that in some citys. However when it comes to cars, the most we can do is go to 10% or 15% blend of ethanol in our standard engines.

There now exists hybrid engines...thats all great...if you can afford them. They are supposed to be helping us while not hurting us, however the prices of even the lowest version costs basically your first child. But yeah now I am ranting. Market cheaper better hybrid cars...it can be done, and has been done....geez

growing up in Montreal..every year you were garaunteed that there would be a white christmas...very cool temperatures would have started by halloween, March/April/May we would still have snow. Now...ha...we are lucky if in Montreal and Ottawa we get a white christmas. Its green!! then, of course we hit winter drought conditions, which is also great..then come January/February chances are the temperaturs will be at the freezing point. And this year...sheesh...by my exam time in april....no snow and it was hot (10 - 20 c). But what really grinds my gears, are people who during summer say "aww man its raining...why wont it be hot." Oh man...careful what you wish for...30c+ days/weeks bring pain...and the rain that you hated never comes, down go our reservoirs, out come water restrictions, up goes our water prices. Yay
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Somebody wrote in a related thread "Live wrong. Party on. Pay later". The problem seems to be that some are already paying right now, and it's not those who partied.
    "India's ongoing population explosion has placed great strain on the country's environment. This rapidly growing population, along with a move toward urbanization and industrialization, has placed significant pressure on India's infrastructure and its natural resources. Deforestation, soil erosion, water pollution and land degradation continue to worsen and are hindering economic development in rural India, while the rapid industrialization and urbanization in India's booming metropolises are straining the limits of municipal services and causing serious air pollution problems."

Looks like they went to the party, they just didnt have any fun.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  13.    #473  
    So let me get this straight.
    1. Global Warming causes the planet to get really hot temperatures?
    2. Global Warming causes the planet to get really cold temperatures?
    3. Global Warming causes the planet to rain a lot?
    4. Global Warming causes the planet to be really dry?
    From what I've heard, "global warming" tends to increase frequency and severity of abnormal weather. So I guess "yes" to 1-4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    global warming is just a general term used to simply the degredation of our atmosphere. The Jet stream in conjunction with weakended ozone layers and smog, cause different events to happen in different scenarios
  16.    #476  
    It's too easy for someone to blame global warming on every storm, volcano eruption, drought, etc. Makes global warming argument seem more like it is grasping at straws.

I suggest someone to explain how global warming caused the massive floods in India this week.
    It's too easy for someone to blame global warming on every storm, volcano eruption, drought, etc. Makes global warming argument seem more like it is grasping at straws.

I suggest someone to explain how global warming caused the massive floods in India this week.
    no explanation is needed for that one (as that is not due to global warming)...its monsoon season.. and what probably happend, which can happen in a lot of weather fronts etc, it became a stationary front...so thus big time rain

furthermore the floods are due to the de-forestation, soil erosin and what not....whehter it was 50mm or 900mm a flood what have happend, in different degrees of severity
  18.    #478  
    Watched day after tomorrow movie last night, wow was it stupid. The movie portrayed the prez as Bush and the vp as Cheney. The whole scenario blamed USA and really the current administration. The global warming issue was a farce. I watched the credits and they credited the storm scenario to a book by Art Bell, yes the ufologist! It was one of those movies that it was so bad, I had to see the ending.
    not that difficult to understand actually ...

• human generated pollution (US, China the worst offenders) traps heat in the earths atmosphere and causes global temperatures to rise.
    • As temperatures rise - the ice caps melt, unlocking the glaciers
    • Glaciers start moving faster and covering northern latitudes
    • As glaciers cover more of the earth's surface, the ice reflects sunlight and leads to global cooling.
    • With glaciers covering most of the northern latitudes and the global cooling, a new ice age begins - perhaps for 100,000 years or so.
    Of course the full ice age would take centuries before it set in - Hollywood over-dramatized it in their movie (otherwise there wouldn't be a movie would there?)

In the meantime there could be a shift in the weather patterns due to disruption of the Atlantic thermohaline "express" as well as other major ocean currents - this could lead to unusually extreme heat waves, cold fronts, floods, drought etc. Remember El Nino a few years ago?
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
    Here is the latest news that shows that the earlier data that contested global warming was wrong. The earlier data showed no evidence of global warming in the tropics (from atmospheric measurements), in fact even showed some trend towards cooling. Even though all other data (such as surface temperature measurements) showed a clear trend in global warming, this tropical atmospheric data was used by some to contest the phenomenon of global warming. The scientists who analyzed earlier data of troposphere warming in the troposphere did not take into account satellite drift - so they ended up measuring nighttime temperatures instead of daytime temperatures. Now I don't feel that bad when I forget to carry a decimal point!
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."