Page 23 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1318192021222324252627283373 ... LastLast
    hmm nice catch
    I encourage everyone to read "The Complete *****'s Guide to Weather"--even if you find the title offensive. The author's no *****, and neither is anyone who takes the time to read it.

I don't think Roger was out to mislead, either.

Todd/Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    I encourage everyone to read "The Complete *****'s Guide to Weather"--even if you find the title offensive. The author's no *****, and neither is anyone who takes the time to read it.
    Yes, the book is informative, hopefully a new edition will come out, as a lot of new data have accumulated since it was published three years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    I don't think Roger was out to mislead, either.
    Todd/Indy
    Everyone is free to decide for themselves on this, at least we all have the full article now.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 03/20/2005 at 12:26 PM.
    This is a classic attempt to mislead through selective cut and paste without giving the link. - cellmatrix

oh please, cell. ease off on your conspiracy to mislead garbage. will ya? here is the FULL LINK to what i posted above. good lord, relax

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...t_climate_dc_1

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1286242,0004.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    This is a classic attempt to mislead through selective cut and paste without giving the link. - cellmatrix

oh please, cell. ease off on your conspiracy to mislead garbage. will ya? here is the FULL LINK to what i posted above. good lord, relax

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...t_climate_dc_1

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1286242,0004.htm
    I was blaming the person you got this from "roger", not you. Maybe I am a little defensive, just look at what I have had to go through in this thread trying to convice you all about the science. If I offended, I apologize. Thanks for posting the links. I think you would find the actual Science article even more interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    I was blaming the person you got this from "roger", not you. Maybe I am a little defensive, just look at what I have had to go through in this thread trying to convice you all about the science. If I offended, I apologize. Thanks for posting the links. I think you would find the actual Science article even more interesting.
    no problem, cell
    "Ice-core studies show that atmospheric carbon-dioxide levels are already higher than anytime in the past 740,000 years and have risen about 30 percent since the dawn of the Industrial Revolution."

I mean can you believe it. The CO2 levels are already higher then anytime in the past 740,000 years. Hmmm...who jotted that note down. Cro-Magnon man?? Nope! He lived only 30,000 years ago. Who could it have been?? All the fossils included under the Homo heidelbergensis classification suggest that people who were anatomically very similar to modern Europeans lived 500,000 and even 740,000 years ago, first in England and then in Spain. There you go...it was the EU.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    interesting read here as well.

http://www.renewamerica.us/analyses/050317hutchison.htm

The things that disillusioned Kristof give us a simple smell test: 1) scare warnings of impending disaster; 2) assertions that scientists are unanimous; and 3) politicalized groups that have a bad track record in their predictions.

Let us add a fourth item to the smell test. When the conventional view is challenged, do the proponents refuse to answer the facts and logic of the challenge? One of the founding principles of empirical science is to attempt to falsify every hypothesis and accept only those hypotheses that cannot be refuted. The mark of good science is the willingness to discuss the intelligent criticisms of a hypothesis. The refusal to consider and discuss intelligent criticism based upon facts and logic is the mark of group-think junk science. The evasion of criticism is invariably accompanied by changing the subject.

As a fifth smell test, look for the following kinds of ploys of redirection: a) "You are not qualified to question science," b) "All scientists say X; therefore, anyone who questions X is not of science," c) "You must be motivated by political loyalties, economic vested interests, or religious beliefs if you question X," d) "You must be ignorant or lacking intellectual honesty if you question X," e) You desire a personal insult that demonizes you and casts you in the role of a monster, an enemy, or a fool. This is how Hollywood answers her critics: cast them as a demon or a crank in the next movie. It is an old cartoonist's technique that goes back to Michelangelo who is alleged to have painted the face of Pope Paul III on the devil in The Last Judgement.
    Not to try to beat a dead horse, but isn't it a pain when science gets in the way of your agenda........

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050608/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl
    Scientific Amereekin states - Beating Dead Horses Adds To Global Warming
    Not to try to beat a dead horse, but isn't it a pain when science gets in the way of your agenda........

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050608/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl
    Yeah, I saw the same in the NYT

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/08/po...rssnyt&emc=rss

As a scientist myself, I'm infuriated with this...yet it doesn't surprise me to see a politician meddle with scientific evidence to suit his administration/lobbyists' needs.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Your horse is...off-gassing
    If I could just find a "beating a dead seal" .gif

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    what do they do with dead baby seals?
    burning them was found to melt ice-flows thereby effectively raising the level of the oceans, inundating coastal lands and contributing to global warming throughout the planet...
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan
    burning them was found to melt ice-flows thereby effectively raising the level of the oceans, inundating coastal lands and contributing to global warming throughout the planet...
    Oh
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan
    better yet, we could change the data to say they are alive and then simply ignore the smell
    better yet, we could change the data to say they are alive and then simply ignore the smell
    This is about the fourth time I've seen your post, and they've all been completely different. Stop messin' with my head, dammit!!

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    This is about the fourth time I've seen your post, and they've all been completely different. Stop messin' with my head, dammit!!
    I decided to delete a more serious post and opt for something more light-hearted.