Page 13 of 111 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182363 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    I'm not out to convince you on either side. We all have our opinions, not many people change their minds. My opinion is global warming is a natural occuring event and it has been around for over 4 billion years. I came to this conclusion by reading many articles online and several links provided in this thread. Please read all of them and come to your own conclusion.
    I was hoping that you had some additional information that could shed light on why you are in total disagreement with the data which is readily available to anyone from a simple literature search such as "causes of global climate change" in scholar.google.com. I did that, posted a handful of the articles which came up in post #190, and now I am done. Advance, I respect your opinions for sure, I just have to disagree with you in this instance.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 02/23/2005 at 10:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    It all sounds like it could be in the relm of possibility. Just because you say it isnt so doesnt make it false. Besides, your actions show otherwise. maybe it's just a cultural misunderstanding. Yeah, that must be it.

http://www.ombudsmaninternational.com/swiss/

http://www.fremdenhass.com/
    I am sure you realize those sites are either a joke or written by a severely troubled person. Here are some quotes from the hompage of the second site (both are registered by somebody from the Slovak Republic):

"Primary military targets of the precision bombing of Switzerland: Bundeshaus
    Among the primary targets belong all Swiss federal government buildings and offices. Secondly, all state government buildings, all court buildings, and all government controlled social services and related buildings. All of these buildings are centres of organized genocide and extermination of the minorities under the cover and pretence of "family laws".

The need for the international community to bomb, invade and dissolve Switzerland.
    Financial, economic and political advantages of bombing, liberating and dissolving Switzerland for the U.S. economy, treasury and army
    ...."

Since this has nothing to do with Global Warming, I think you should open a new thread if you think it is worth continuing. Don't count on me answering, though...
    Last edited by clulup; 02/23/2005 at 09:18 AM.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Once again, my OPINIONS are views and judgements. It has rained over 30 inches here in Los Angeles this season. If I wanted to look out the window and say "Bah, it's cold and rainy, there is no warming going on", do you know what? That would be my opinion.

I believe OJ Simpson butchered his ex-wife and her friend. I was not at the scene during the killing, but it is my OPINION that he is a murderer.
    I cannot say it any better than Cellmatrix, so here his post again:
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Its not about our opinions, it is about what the facts are and how we arrived at our conclusions. To answer a scientific question, we need to gather all the data we can, question and test the validity of it, and then try to form the best model to fit the available information. I am just trying to understand how you arrived at your conclusions.
    But it's not that important, we can leave it at that...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Forgive me, but I'm still trying to get over those "Kill the Swiss" links.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  5.    #245  
    We all have different opinions based on what we have reviewed, researched and read. You've made a giant step, congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    if you have a treo, regardless of your political beliefs, how can you not be cool?
    "however, what seems more important to me is that you, too, now admit that burning fossil fuels is the dominating factor in the global warming taking place presently."

I have never once flatly said here that man has absolutely NO role in this issue at all. I have never said that. you have apparently been trying to form the argument that this is what I've been saying. what I AM saying is that im not quite sure it is accurate to blame man for ALL of the problems associated with global warming.

my point in bringing up these other links is to show that there are other concerns to keep in mind rather than to narrow-mindedly just blame mankind.
    " what is so wrong or arrogant about what I've said?"
    -clulup

" My theory is you don't really know better, you just claim you know better based on nothing."

that clulup, is arrogant. I will list several other examples here for you shortly since you seem unable to discern the meaning of what it is to be arrogant.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    that clulup, is arrogant. I will list several other examples here for you shortly since you seem unable to discern the meaning of what it is to be arrogant.
    Is it really necessary to make this thread even flamier?
    maybe it's really a BBQ
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  11.    #251  
    Agreed. Treobk214, you have made multiple posts that are convincing, but you're pissing in the wind with clupup. No one is gonna win (i.e. War Games).

Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    Here's some levity to this thread...Bush's take on global warming. I've never heard of this guy, but read a story today that he states, "Bush was eating doritos, giggling to himself and then listening to an ipod during Chirac's speach". He's joking, but very humurous stuff at his website. Check out Bush's take on global warming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Forgive me, but I'm still trying to get over those "Kill the Swiss" links.
    While I didnt write or publish the web sites, nor do I subscribe to the remedies they seek, the do look like desperate cries for help.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    Joe Bear...kick back, light up another pack and relax.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Yet some of you think this is wrong, so apparently you know better... how come? Do you have some supernatural ability to predict future climate changes, or the lack thereof?

THAT IS ARROGANT. tell me, how do you think you can possibly get your point across successfully and diplomatically with this method of delivery?
    you very blatantly attempt to insult and condescend all others who have differing opinions from your own. tell me, do you honestly think that is going to serve you well with your dealings with people in the future? as a liberal, this is CERTAINLY a very poor example of tolerance to those who believe differently than you, would you not agree? clulup, can you tell me honestly that you believe arrogance is the surefire way to success in debating topics amidst controversy?
    I mean debating issues is one thing, but reserving oneself to simply being an all out JERK, is absolutely primitive of you, and really quite sad.
    I can tell you, people think CONSIDERABLY less of you as a result of this. and I don't need a quote from a scientific journal or a " consensus "to prove this point at all. this is just the plain hard truth, clulup. period.
  15.    #255  
    This is an off-topic, cell phone forum, relax. It ain't worth getting worked up about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    "however, what seems more important to me is that you, too, now admit that burning fossil fuels is the dominating factor in the global warming taking place presently."

I have never once flatly said here that man has absolutely NO role in this issue at all. I have never said that. you have apparently been trying to form the argument that this is what I've been saying. what I AM saying is that im not quite sure it is accurate to blame man for ALL of the problems associated with global warming.

my point in bringing up these other links is to show that there are other concerns to keep in mind rather than to narrow-mindedly just blame mankind.
    The natural causes exist but we cannot do anything about them. It is the man-made causes which we can impact. So it makes sense to address them in a pragmatic way.
  17.    #257  
    Manmade causes are inconsequential, they do not have enough impact to warrant trillions of dollars toward preventing them. Now if your really wanted to slow it down, you could build huge corks to cover up all the volcanoes in the world.

QUOTE=cellmatrix]The natural causes exist but we cannot do anything about them. It is the man-made causes which we can impact. So it makes sense to address them in a pragmatic way.[/QUOTE]
    greed. Treobk214, you have made multiple posts that are convincing, but you're pissing in the wind with clupup. No one is gonna win (i.e. War Games)"

I hear you loud and clear, woof and advance. s´
    I hear ya guys. im sorry to have pitched more into the fire here when it looks to have been pretty unnecessary at this point. I apologize and agree we should be moving forward toward a civil discussion rather than droning on about this stuff. point taken. putting out the flames right now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Manmade causes are inconsequential
    Personalities aside, the article which clulup contributed really is relevant to this conversation.

It was published two months ago in the top science journal in the world and relects the findings and views of the leading climate scientists in the world.

These climate scientists are convinced by the available data on 928 articles published on the subject that man-made causes significantly impact global warming.

But also you can look at the literature yourself, like I said before, do a scholar.google.com search with "causes of global climate change" and pull the abstracts of the articles in the top journals that come up in the search and see what they say.

I am not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I have not seen anything else in this thread which convinces me otherwise. If you have any more data which refute this, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm outta this thread.

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/conten.../306/5702/1686
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 02/23/2005 at 12:10 PM.