Page 108 of 111 FirstFirst ... 85898103104105106107108109110111 LastLast
Results 2,141 to 2,160 of 2209
  1. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #2141  
    Actually, it's the same fakery, just being collaberated as such by an IPCC insider, which is pretty groundbreaking. It will get a total pass in the media though. We probably won't hear about it.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  2. #2142  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Actually, it's the same fakery, just being collaberated as such by an IPCC insider, which is pretty groundbreaking. It will get a total pass in the media though. We probably won't hear about it.
    Right you are.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  3. srswarley's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #2143  
    Global warming is a fact. It has happened, it will happen, and our rate of greenhouse gas production and emission into the atmosphere is not helping.

    There are a lot of variables with this issue, and people will milk any pretty penny they can as long as the topic exists..
  4. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #2144  
    Quote Originally Posted by bsburnham View Post
    Global warming is a fact. It has happened, it will happen, and our rate of greenhouse gas production and emission into the atmosphere is not helping.

    There are a lot of variables with this issue, and people will milk any pretty penny they can as long as the topic exists..
    Nice story, but the data that was propped up to support it was faked. Guess you'll continue to ignore that fact?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  5. #2145  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man View Post
    Via Drudge Report, the BBC has shown some interesting pictures suggesting that Global Warming is occuring. link... Global Warming Pixs

    My school of thought is global warming is occuring, but human's contribution to it is inconsequential. Vasts amounts of pollution is made with mother nature. One example is volcanoes.

    So no matter who's to blame, from the pixs it appears many areas of the world better get ready!
    I agree with your assessment that our contribution to global warming is inconsequential. The pictures in that article aren't sufficient evidence. They could have been taken in winter and summer. Every year things look different between the seasons. What I don't understand is what the hell the big deal is with carbon emisisons. Plants convert c02 to sugar as a nutrition source called photosynthesis. The byproduct is oxygen. I say plant more trees. It's all scaremongering.
  6. #2146  
    Quote Originally Posted by bsburnham View Post
    Global warming is a fact. It has happened, it will happen, and our rate of greenhouse gas production and emission into the atmosphere is not helping.

    There are a lot of variables with this issue, and people will milk any pretty penny they can as long as the topic exists..
    Could you please post your scientific credentials for us. Love to know what makes you qualified to make that determination. Thx
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  7. #2147  
    if you can explain how the last ice age came and went without any contribution from man... then you can claim man is causing it this time.

    unless cave men had cars and coal fired power plants...
  8. #2148  
    Quote Originally Posted by bsburnham View Post
    Global warming is a fact. It has happened, it will happen, and our rate of greenhouse gas production and emission into the atmosphere is not helping.

    There are a lot of variables with this issue, and people will milk any pretty penny they can as long as the topic exists..
    how many years of data would you need to be able to plot a trend that would accurately project over 6 billion years? Hint: Al Roker isn't that old.

    and THAT's a fact...
  9. srswarley's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #2149  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Could you please post your scientific credentials for us. Love to know what makes you qualified to make that determination. Thx
    First, I have a Bachelor degree in Geoscience, and I am in the process of obtaining my PhD in Geoscience. So my accreditation is worth a bit more than someone who isn't trained in the geological sciences.

    Secondly, I don't understand how people can ignore the fact that the Earth is a complex system, but it is also a finite system in that natural elements (ie: gases & minerals) are cycled over and over again. This system is governed by a series of cycles, which have been proven. The major cycles I speak of are the Milankovitch Cycles (Precession, Axial Tilt, Eccentricity), and they determine a good majority of what happens to our Earth in regards to the climate. If you would like a more in depth discussion with these cycles I would be happy to discuss them with you. FYI the Earth is ~4.6 billion yrs old, not 6 billion.

    I don't want to take up a whole page of this forum describing the processes I'm talking about because they are quite in depth, and I have studied them for over 4 years.

    As a scientist, and by the evidence presented to me and my colleagues, global warming has happened in the past, and it will happen again.

    I was hoping my comment would spark this thread up again. I enjoy reading some of the other topics in this forum, but as they are mainly political discussions, and I don't profess to have much political science knowledge, I prefer to stay out of them.
  10. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #2150  
    Quote Originally Posted by bsburnham View Post
    First, I have a Bachelor degree in Geoscience, and I am in the process of obtaining my PhD in Geoscience. So my accreditation is worth a bit more than someone who isn't trained in the geological sciences.

    Secondly, I don't understand how people can ignore the fact that the Earth is a complex system, but it is also a finite system in that natural elements (ie: gases & minerals) are cycled over and over again. This system is governed by a series of cycles, which have been proven. The major cycles I speak of are the Milankovitch Cycles (Precession, Axial Tilt, Eccentricity), and they determine a good majority of what happens to our Earth in regards to the climate. If you would like a more in depth discussion with these cycles I would be happy to discuss them with you. FYI the Earth is ~4.6 billion yrs old, not 6 billion.

    I don't want to take up a whole page of this forum describing the processes I'm talking about because they are quite in depth, and I have studied them for over 4 years.

    As a scientist, and by the evidence presented to me and my colleagues, global warming has happened in the past, and it will happen again.

    I was hoping my comment would spark this thread up again. I enjoy reading some of the other topics in this forum, but as they are mainly political discussions, and I don't profess to have much political science knowledge, I prefer to stay out of them.
    lol. who would dare speak up now with those credits? except the say that the argument, at least for me, wasn't whether or not the earth went through cycles and that we're on a warming trend, but rather whether or not we're the cause, and if we are, whether or not we could effect change to that trend without obliterating all current geopolitical, social, and economic systems.

    I'm old enough to remember that many scientists were certain that we were entering a mini ice age, btw. Many of those same scientists are still around today... though they're a bit bent by now.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  11. srswarley's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #2151  
    I do realize the thread was started quite a while ago, I'm just stating my opinion on the hot (no pun intended) topic, which is still highly debatable, even within the geosciences. There are geoscientists that don't see us in a warming trend, but that's to be expected in a science related field.

    I've run into people that refuse to accept that we are in a warming trend, so I get the facts out there that we are, and then the discussion can move into whether or not we as a people have caused it.

    I guess I didn't word my first post quite right, and for that I apologize.
  12. #2152  
    Oh it quite possible we're in a warming trend or even a cooling trend as that has happened many times throughout this planet's history. That is hardly the argument.

    Point of this thread is that man is not a contributing factor either way.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  13. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #2153  
    Quote Originally Posted by bsburnham View Post
    I do realize the thread was started quite a while ago, I'm just stating my opinion on the hot (no pun intended) topic, which is still highly debatable, even within the geosciences. There are geoscientists that don't see us in a warming trend, but that's to be expected in a science related field.

    I've run into people that refuse to accept that we are in a warming trend, so I get the facts out there that we are, and then the discussion can move into whether or not we as a people have caused it.

    I guess I didn't word my first post quite right, and for that I apologize.
    Well you've just nailed the crux of the whole debate, at least in part. It's interesting that you first offer that it's 'highly debatable', and that 'There are geoscientists that don't see us in a warming trend', and then in the next paragraph you say that the warming trend is fact, and all thats left is the discussion over whether or not we caused it.

    I'd take it a step further.... even considering that (possibly) our presence has impacted greenhouse gasses, could we actually reverse that trend and 'save the planet', without destroying ourselves in the process?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  14. KAM1138
    KAM1138's Avatar
    #2154  
    Quote Originally Posted by tcrunner View Post
    Clearly, the argument is about the politics of maintaining the status quo of oil addiction at all costs.
    No, that's just the simpletons political argument.

    KAM
  15. #2155  
    The jury is still out on whether we caused it or not, it is a fact that it is warmer, it is a fact that the great white north isnt so cold and white in the winter anymore. It is a fact that if we plant more trees it will help. As to the rest, until the jury actually can point with something that is a little more then conjecture we will not all get on board. I do not think anyone can argue about the pollution haze over all our major cities around the world, do we need a cleaner alternative fuel source? yes. When it comes to the fore front, a lot of fine oil barons are gonna go broke real fast. Unless they are the ones that "discover it" lolol.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
  16. #2156  
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    The jury is still out on whether we caused it or not, it is a fact that it is warmer, it is a fact that the great white north isnt so cold and white in the winter anymore. It is a fact that if we plant more trees it will help. As to the rest, until the jury actually can point with something that is a little more then conjecture we will not all get on board. I do not think anyone can argue about the pollution haze over all our major cities around the world, do we need a cleaner alternative fuel source? yes. When it comes to the fore front, a lot of fine oil barons are gonna go broke real fast. Unless they are the ones that "discover it" lolol.
    It's also a FACT that temperatures have fluctuated widely since the earth was formed and before man had the ability to do anything. Just saying....
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  17. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #2157  
    Quote Originally Posted by KAM1138 View Post
    No, that's just the simpletons political argument.

    KAM
    KAM! Where the heck have you been! Welcome back!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  18. #2158  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    KAM! Where the heck have you been! Welcome back!
    Yes....good to see KAM back as well.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  19. srswarley's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #2159  
    It is interesting that geoscientists are debating the warming trend, but it is my belief and opinion that there is more than enough evidence to point to the rise and fall of temperatures in Earth's ~4.6 billion yr. old life.

    The million dollar question is just that Micael, can we reverse our dependency on fossil fuels so we slow down the warming trend we are experiencing? It can be done, but then we have to find the right solution and best methodology to do so. There needs to be extensive research into several areas all over the world so we can find the best alternative source.

    I for one think Geothermal Energy would be a good alternative that we should look into as a viable source of alternative energy. That alone may not be the savior, since there is a lot we still don't know about the Earth geologically to accurately predict if it will or not. But geothermal in conjunction with other sources could lead us to a road of slower greenhouse gas emission.
  20. KAM1138
    KAM1138's Avatar
    #2160  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    KAM! Where the heck have you been! Welcome back!
    Hello Michael and Clemgrad,

    Thank you. I've been busy, and to be honest with you--I grew very tired of the often fruitless interaction here with people dedicated to NOT having honest discussion. It just wasn't/isn't worth it.

    I check in occasionally (to check on WebOS/Pre news). Not much seems to have changed here...

    I don't think I will be "back" in any significant way, but I hope you are both well.

    KAM

Posting Permissions